Author Topic: Alabama fans are the biggest a-holes in the world (must read story)  (Read 118 times)

OG Hack Wilson

(CNN) -- A man was arrested early Thursday and faces criminal mischief charges for allegedly applying a herbicide commonly used to kill trees and brush to landmark 130-year-old live oaks on the edge of the Auburn University campus in east-central Alabama, police said.

Harvey Updyke Jr. was taken into custody at the Auburn Police Department, Police Chief Tommy Dawson told reporters. He was being held in the Lee County Detention Facility in lieu of $50,000 bail, Dawson said. He will be charged with first-degree criminal mischief.

Dawson released few details, saying he did not want to jeopardize the investigation, which he said is ongoing. He said he believes Updyke acted alone, and he does not anticipate further arrests, although he said additional charges may be filed.

The poisonings -- which came to light after a man called a Birmingham, Alabama, radio show and said he had poisoned the trees -- came as a heartbreaking shock to Auburn fans.

For generations, they have thronged to the trees at Toomer's Corner, at the edge of campus, after victories to "roll" the trees with toilet paper. The latest celebration was after the Auburn Tigers defeated Oregon for the national football championship January 10. Toomer's Corner is named after a historic drugstore at the opposite corner of the intersection.

A man identifying himself as "Al from Dadeville" called "The Paul Finebaum Show" on January 27 and said, "Let me tell you what I did the weekend after the Iron Bowl (the annual Auburn-University of Alabama game). I went to Auburn, Alabama, because I live 30 miles away. And I poisoned the two Toomer's trees.

"They're not dead yet, but they definitely will die," the caller said, adding he didn't care if his actions were against the law.

"Al" ended his call with "Roll Damn Tide" -- a variation of Alabama's "Roll Tide" rallying cry.

Auburn defeated Alabama 28-27 in Tuscaloosa on November 26.

Finebaum's program is a regionally syndicated sports talk show.

Updyke is 62, and his full name is Harvey Almorn Updyke, CNN affiliate WTVM reported. He was set to appear in court Thursday, the station reported.

The caller said he had used Spike 80DF, which was found when the soil was tested after the university learned of the radio show call.

Thirty-three soil samples were taken the next day and were sent for testing. The expedited, final results that came back February 11 showed that the levels of Spike 80DF are "very lethal," according to the school.

The substance has never been used at Auburn, horticulture professor Gary Keever said Thursday.

The substance is manufactured by Dow Chemical. A representative from Dow is advising the university on removal procedures, and expert horticulturalists also are being consulted, according to Auburn.

Auburn spokeswoman Deedie Dowdle said Thursday that the university "was taking a great deal of action" in the days after receiving the results but delayed making a public announcement because of the police investigation. The university said in a statement released Wednesday the trees had been poisoned.

Asked Thursday whether the trees will die, Stephen Enloe, assistant professor of agronomy and soils at Auburn, grew emotional.

"I always want to hold out hope," he said, but the concentration of the herbicide translates into "a very low probability" of survival. He said it was unclear how long the trees could last before dying.

Experts were re-evaluating soil samples and have applied liquid activated charcoal that can bind with the herbicide and inactivate it. They will also study whether an "excavator vacuum" can be used to take out some of the soil, Keever said.

Offers of help have poured in from across the nation, from tree farmers, experts and others, officials said.

A license is not required to purchase Spike80DF in Alabama, but "it's not widely available," Enloe said, and "it's not extremely cheap."

It is usually used to control vegetation on right of ways or along fence rows or to maintain bare ground near some industrial facilities, Enloe said. "It's very effective at what it does, and that is to kill most plants."

The herbicide could spread through the soil and affect other nearby plants, including a white oak and magnolia trees, Keever said. Tom McCauley of the university's Department of Risk Management and Safety said there is "very little chance" it will affect groundwater for drinking water purposes.

Within 90 minutes of the announcement Wednesday, about 200 concerned students gathered at the oaks, throwing toilet paper and chanting school cheers.

University President Jay Gogue and Police Chief Dawson told Auburn fans to act with class.

"This is the exception rather than the rule," Dawson said Thursday. "This is a person who obviously has problems, to do something like this, so we want to use caution and let the justice system take its course."

The Toomer's Corner oaks have faced threats before, but nothing so lethal. In 2009, the university shored up their limbs, expanded their root area and replaced brick with concrete so water would flow in a healthier manner, officials said.

Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Re: Alabama fans are the biggest a-holes in the world (must read story)
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 04:19:57 PM »
He ended his conversation on the radio with a "Roll Tide".

That's a true fan.

DJ SUGAFREE QUIK

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 11:39:15 PM »
Its disgusting but whatcha expect from the Separatist Evil Corruption, or Sure Everybody Cheats.  If the white power tide fan should be furious about, its his team choking against Auburn in late November.  Coulda stopped that evil conference from winning the NC again. 

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 04:05:57 PM »
Its disgusting but whatcha expect from the Separatist Evil Corruption, or Sure Everybody Cheats.  If the white power tide fan should be furious about, its his team choking against Auburn in late November.  Coulda stopped that evil conference from winning the NC again. 
EXACTLY lol
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens