Author Topic: Does Anyone Still Read The Source?  (Read 672 times)

Eddz

Does Anyone Still Read The Source?
« on: May 02, 2011, 05:03:58 AM »
Does anyone here still buy The Source mag? I been reading the mag for like the last 16 years and have every copy still since Jan 2010.

It's obvious the mag has fallen the fuck off but I still keep buying it, I can't seem to give up hope for it.

Any of you guys still checking for The Source?

MistaNova

Re: Does Anyone Still Read The Source?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 05:07:43 AM »
Nope. Check out XXL from time to time though.

doggfather

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 06:40:41 AM »
no.

maybe once or twice a year...
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Hoodlum204

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Thats Why I Fucked Your Bitch!!
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 08:27:33 AM »
Bin Gettin Every Issue Of The Source & XXL The Last Couple Years.....& I Must Say....The Source Fell The Fuck Off. Mag Has Been Hella Weak Compared To XXL

Blood$

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 02:19:42 PM »
I restored my faith in The Source once Dave Mays and Benziho got the boot and that UGK cover issue came out, but they have fallen off even more over the years

I haven't bought an issue in years but I still read in the stores sometimes, with XXL I'll buy an issue here and there if there's much that I feel I need to read and can't do all of in a store publicly lol

Eddz

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 03:03:12 PM »
lol @ Bloodmoney.

I subscribe to XXL & only get The Source I guess out of loyalty, even though that sounds stupid lol.

ICHI THE KILLER

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 03:59:33 PM »
i used but both them fell off so bad i dont even check for them in stores any more they just full of advertisement >:( >:(

BiggSadot

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 04:39:08 PM »
Only time the Source was any good was when Mays and Benzino was runnin it.
Sometimes I need reminders why I bother to rap
Then I think back to cats who only father is rap
I dead beats, but you niggas is Lou
Im Uncle Phil gotta give em somethin real
cause If I dont who will

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 06:54:29 PM »
Stopped reading the source for good when they gave lil kim 5 mics.

Stopped reading xxl when it became a g-unit/shady magazine.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 10:56:49 PM »
Does anyone here still buy The Source mag? I been reading the mag for like the last 16 years and have every copy still since Jan 2010.

It's obvious the mag has fallen the fuck off but I still keep buying it, I can't seem to give up hope for it.

I appreciate your enthusiasm and loyalty, because all bullshit aside, the source did have a great run for many years.   One of my big regrets is throwing away my old copies of the Source back in 2002 when I was doing a lot of moving around from place to place and going through a lot of changes.  

The only copy I still have, that I always held onto as my favorite magazine of all-time is the legendary Dre leaving Death Row cover issue.   That is a true gem right there.  Dre the visionary, while Death Row was still on top of the rap world, Dre had the vision to leave Death Row and the East Coast/West Coast beef behind and I've never seen a more genuine, timely and well-written interview in rap history than that one.

Fond memories for me when I was 18 and had my first apartment back in 2000 and used to be able to go to my own mailbox and pick up the copy of the new Source mag.  Or before that going out to Barnes and Noble and reading it cover to cover right inside the store.

The magazine was still a pretty good read all the way up until they started beefing with Eminem.  I mean, keep it mind it WAS actually the Source that defended Eminem early in his career while XXL was labeling him a culture stealer.   XXL only starting supporting him after his career had been 100% solidified, and he had already reached an all-time high with "Lose Yourself" and the 8 Mile project.   It was for 50 Cents first album that XXL finally came around and started praising Eminem.  Around that time XXL did have a great run of there own, and that YellowNICCA editor was pretty damn entertaining and he kind of took that mag to new heights.

If anybody has any old copies of the Source they want to sell I'm interested in buying, btw.

I don't read the rap magazines much anymore.  Scratch was pretty dope as someone mentioned above, but unfortunately it didn't last long.  I bought the new XXL mag for the Nate remembrance (They could of atleast given Nate his own cover and a longer article DAMMIT), and it had Lupe on the cover and some other interesting articles like the one about the importance of a rappers journal.

...but yeah, the good old days of hip-hop journalism are gone.   I even remember mags like Blaze back in the day (or was it Rap Pages) were pretty dope too.   I remember they spotlighted Eminem way back in the summer of 98' About To Blow section, after he signed with Aftermath and they were giving him mad respect as an underground emcee and biggin up Detroits scene.

With the decline of hip-hop came the decline of the rap magazine.  I remember everything from the Source to XXL to Blaze to Rap Pages to even Murder Dogg.  At least we still have online forums such as this one and some other good hip-hop sites on the web.  

« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 11:06:47 PM by Infinite- African West Coastin' 2010 »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

CHUCK KNOXXX

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • FUCK LOVE & FUCK THE WORLD
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 12:06:15 AM »
i stopped buying the source years ago, mid 00's i'd say....but i got issues from all the way back to the very early 90's....shit, i have an issue with ice t on the cover when he was doing new jack city, and the one where eazy is wearing a bullet proof vest pointing a gun at the camera!...i got every issue through out the 90's give or take, all stored in boxes at my dads house...i aint selling none of em! one regret tho, an old "friend' from high school jacked me for my copy with dre holding the gun to his head, and that's arguably one of the most valuable and interesting issues...i still remember snoop got dope rhyme of the month for his verse on "stranded on death row"....
http://www.facebook.com/AllAngles818 
CLICK ALBUM COVERS TO DOWNLOAD

green-eyed bandit

• 'G'
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 01:35:35 AM »
Does anyone remember the 'Blaze' magazine? That was quite good... They covered known & lesser known artists. Shame that it didn't last that long... Anyone has some more info on this?

Eddz

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 02:27:44 AM »

I appreciate your enthusiasm and loyalty, because all bullshit aside, the source did have a great run for many years.   One of my big regrets is throwing away my old copies of the Source back in 2002 when I was doing a lot of moving around from place to place and going through a lot of changes.  

The only copy I still have, that I always held onto as my favorite magazine of all-time is the legendary Dre leaving Death Row cover issue.   That is a true gem right there.  Dre the visionary, while Death Row was still on top of the rap world, Dre had the vision to leave Death Row and the East Coast/West Coast beef behind and I've never seen a more genuine, timely and well-written interview in rap history than that one.

Fond memories for me when I was 18 and had my first apartment back in 2000 and used to be able to go to my own mailbox and pick up the copy of the new Source mag.  Or before that going out to Barnes and Noble and reading it cover to cover right inside the store.

The magazine was still a pretty good read all the way up until they started beefing with Eminem.  I mean, keep it mind it WAS actually the Source that defended Eminem early in his career while XXL was labeling him a culture stealer.   XXL only starting supporting him after his career had been 100% solidified, and he had already reached an all-time high with "Lose Yourself" and the 8 Mile project.   It was for 50 Cents first album that XXL finally came around and started praising Eminem.  Around that time XXL did have a great run of there own, and that YellowNICCA editor was pretty damn entertaining and he kind of took that mag to new heights.

If anybody has any old copies of the Source they want to sell I'm interested in buying, btw.

I don't read the rap magazines much anymore.  Scratch was pretty dope as someone mentioned above, but unfortunately it didn't last long.  I bought the new XXL mag for the Nate remembrance (They could of atleast given Nate his own cover and a longer article DAMMIT), and it had Lupe on the cover and some other interesting articles like the one about the importance of a rappers journal.

...but yeah, the good old days of hip-hop journalism are gone.   I even remember mags like Blaze back in the day (or was it Rap Pages) were pretty dope too.   I remember they spotlighted Eminem way back in the summer of 98' About To Blow section, after he signed with Aftermath and they were giving him mad respect as an underground emcee and biggin up Detroits scene.

With the decline of hip-hop came the decline of the rap magazine.  I remember everything from the Source to XXL to Blaze to Rap Pages to even Murder Dogg.  At least we still have online forums such as this one and some other good hip-hop sites on the web.  

Thanks mate. The Source truly was "The Bible of Hip Hop" in it's golden era. I keep hoping they will come make to their glory days but I doubt it. They got a new editor but I doubt he'll turn it around.

I still got every issue since Jan 2000. The misses wants me to get rid of them before we move into our new house. If you are interested in any copies let me know.

Hoodlum204

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Thats Why I Fucked Your Bitch!!
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 06:33:24 AM »
Stopped reading the source for good when they gave lil kim 5 mics.

That Chit Still Puzzles Me??

PhunkyDoob

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 02:33:08 PM »
I'll read a magazine as long as it good.

But can't some of you start a big thread and upload a couple Source mags for the people who really wants it (me :laugh:)  ;D..please :laugh: