Author Topic: so detox will not be a west coast album??  (Read 1261 times)

RECOGNIZE187

Re: so detox will not be a west coast album??
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2011, 07:07:23 AM »
I give up...

ha ha..its all good :)
its just that i need a doctor was a big shock for me (in a negative way)..hearin a new DRE song after 10 years!
lets just wait for the album and see what happens! but i dont have a good feeling about this!

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2011, 07:11:55 AM »
I get your point though, i just dont see Dr.Dre talking about Guns , weed and gangsta stuff, when dude is almost 50 and living in a mansion , and I always find that he sound forced whenever he raps about that,  it doesnt suit him anymore, so whats left for him is the sound. and its kind of bvious that dude is enjoying his business deals more than the music, he probably knows that he doesnt fit in anymore

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2011, 08:13:04 AM »
"Radio friendly" means something that the mainstream wants to hear. 2001 was radio friendly because studio gangsters were popular back then. Drake never would have been popular back then, because his music wasn't radio friendly in the 90s.

doggfather

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2011, 08:15:31 AM »
"Radio friendly" means something that the mainstream wants to hear. 2001 was radio friendly because studio gangsters were popular back then. Drake never would have been popular back then, because his music wasn't radio friendly in the 90s.
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

doublee313

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2011, 08:32:19 AM »
Dr. Dre put out The Chronic, The Chronic 2001 both with his "West Coast" sound.  Period.

The word from his old friend "THE DOC" he mentioned Dre was going to a MAINSTREAM sound and not following his signature sound.  You can google those articles if you want.

Let's not all forget when Dr. Dre put out that first Aftermath release (I don't even remember the name - he was doing the tango or some shit) and it bombed.  His wife told him to go back to his gangsta sound and his Chronic 2001 blew up.

So, I'm sure Dr. Dre is going to be smart about this.  If he does a mainstream album, he better be careful.  Will it satisfy all his old fans?  Who knows.  There is a new generation of people out there buying music.  I think he's trying to please both sides.  I would say he's under pressure.  

What he should have done is dropped 2-3 albums over the last 10 years and get off this ego shit.  He probably has 300 tracks in the vaults, but Dr. Dre doesn't release old music (another ego bullshit attitude).  Shit, he should put out a 3CD album and pack up his bags.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 08:34:48 AM by doublee313 »

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2011, 08:55:17 AM »
Dr. Dre put out The Chronic, The Chronic 2001 both with his "West Coast" sound.  Period.

The word from his old friend "THE DOC" he mentioned Dre was going to a MAINSTREAM sound and not following his signature sound.  You can google those articles if you want.

Let's not all forget when Dr. Dre put out that first Aftermath release (I don't even remember the name - he was doing the tango or some shit) and it bombed.  His wife told him to go back to his gangsta sound and his Chronic 2001 blew up.

So, I'm sure Dr. Dre is going to be smart about this.  If he does a mainstream album, he better be careful.  Will it satisfy all his old fans?  Who knows.  There is a new generation of people out there buying music.  I think he's trying to please both sides.  I would say he's under pressure.  

What he should have done is dropped 2-3 albums over the last 10 years and get off this ego shit.  He probably has 300 tracks in the vaults, but Dr. Dre doesn't release old music (another ego bullshit attitude).  Shit, he should put out a 3CD album and pack up his bags.

Old fans are older now they wont buy music, New fans/kids will

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2011, 09:35:44 AM »

what is this "west coast sound"? . Dre made G Funk popular. Other west coast rappers copied that style, then he abandoned that sound completely. 2001 sounds nothing like The Chronic musically. So its pretty stupid to be talking about a west coast sound when Dre has come with a new sound each album.

RECOGNIZE187

« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2011, 11:55:19 AM »
studio gangsters ok...but gangsta rap WAS NEVER radio friendly..because its never on the radio!...

RECOGNIZE187

« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2011, 11:57:39 AM »

what is this "west coast sound"? . Dre made G Funk popular. Other west coast rappers copied that style, then he abandoned that sound completely. 2001 sounds nothing like The Chronic musically. So its pretty stupid to be talking about a west coast sound when Dre has come with a new sound each album.

wrong! chronic 2001 was still gangsta rap! it was gangsta music but different then the old school gangsta rap!
and now its time for the new gangsta sound! somebody need to bring back the g shit! :) record sales dont matter cuz nobody is buying albums in 2011!!but if u make real dope album the real hip hop fans will support it and buy it! kids listen ro drake and rihanna they dont wanna listen dre doin the same dance music! do what u do best...fuck what people wanna hear!
thats why i like Cube...he went a little comercial but always kept it gangsta!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 12:02:27 PM by RECOGNIZE187 »

Stan

« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2011, 11:58:57 AM »
You speak the truth ... I think people need to live n 2011 not 2001 (I know it came out in 99).  Mainstream now is 100% diff than ten years ago ... and I'm sorry, but in the main gangsta rap is dead.  You can't sell shit with it other than to dubcc fans.

DSOD2476

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2011, 12:10:20 PM »
I am with a lot of you on this one.... What is a west coast album?  Dre has a new sound for every album he has released.  Maybe with each album he re-invents a new westcoast sound if you want to look at it that way.  I have never considered Dre to be just a westcoast musician.  He is known as the best producer of all time in many peoples opinion because he produces a sound that is his own yet is attractive to hip hop fans across the country and world.  We know nothing of Detox yet.  I am willing to bet "I Need a Doctor" and "Kush" won't even be on the final tracklist.  He will keep dropping teasers until the album is ready to go.  He has never disappointed and I don't think he will with this project either.  For those of you saying WC or Dogg Pound is west coast shit...I hope Dre doesn't go west coast then....I want an album with more than 2 or 3 slappers on it.  Pop that bubble you guys are stuck in.  You guys have gotten so used to unoriginal sample based synthesized beats you can buy at Best Buy you can't appreciate true organic music with little or no sampling.  All original keyboards, guitar and bass and shit ALWAYS sounds doper than anything on your bitch ass bubble gum hip hop playlists.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2011, 12:46:14 PM »
studio gangsters ok...but gangsta rap WAS NEVER radio friendly..because its never on the radio!...

are you kidding? Gangsta rap took over the radio in the 90s. If Drake came out in the 90s he would've never had a hot single.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 12:54:09 PM by SPICE TWO »

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2011, 12:53:34 PM »

wrong! chronic 2001 was still gangsta rap! it was gangsta music but different then the old school gangsta rap!
and now its time for the new gangsta sound! somebody need to bring back the g shit! :) record sales dont matter cuz nobody is buying albums in 2011!!but if u make real dope album the real hip hop fans will support it and buy it! kids listen ro drake and rihanna they dont wanna listen dre doin the same dance music! do what u do best...fuck what people wanna hear!
thats why i like Cube...he went a little comercial but always kept it gangsta!

Gangsta rap is called so because of its TOPICS. Blunts, bitches, gang signs, guns etc. That's different from the sound of the music, aka production. What is this west coast sound you keep talking about? Its funny you bring up Cube because he used Bomb Squad production for his first album. And as far as dance music, Next Episode and Lets Get High got the party cracking back in 99. And both of those songs happened to be about partying.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2011, 01:50:24 PM »
I agree, dre shouldve put out 2-3 cds in this 10 year waiting period. We should be waiting for detox vol 3 by now

And for the people mentioning dre not using his signature sound on that first aftermath album, his 96-98 sound was fuckin depressing. Suicide music.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

S.J

« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2011, 02:08:36 PM »
what happened to making good music and not just trying to appeal to the mainstream?, I dont care if it sounds westcoast, I just want it to be good, but from what i've heard it sounds like its going to be a disappointment. Things may be different now than it was in 99 but its not in a good way. Mainstream hip hop is probably the worst its ever been with everyone just following trends and sounding the same, if that is what Detox will sound like then I doubt it will be good
But I'm a do it like this so your crew will know
Tie your leg to a car, tie the other to a pole
Talk shit and laugh cause I got the gift of gab
Hop in the car, hit the gas, watch your ass split in half
-Rappin Ron