Author Topic: West Coast Hip-Hop Is Back On Top....  (Read 1225 times)

MistaNova

Re: West Coast Hip-Hop Is Back On Top....
« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2011, 06:01:59 AM »
this forum also never gave a fuck about so called instrumental or abstract hip hop artitsts. And as far as i know there is a strong scene of this kind of hip hop in LA. Some LA cats who make abstract hip hop have made great worldwide careers.... but on the other hand instrumental/abstract hip hop is not an easy listening music. it's rather for people with advanced music taste. maybe that's the reason...

Since when did Hip Hop have all these sub-genres, isn't that what killed Rock & Roll?
Care to name a few of these "Abstract Hip Hop" acts, in all my years of listening to Hip Hop it's never been advanced or anything. No matter who raps or when the song was recorded, the subject matter is always the same (gangs, violence, weed, being broke, black power, bitches, hoes, bling, money, corrupt government, racism etc...).

shoo

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2011, 06:32:41 AM »
this forum also never gave a fuck about so called instrumental or abstract hip hop artitsts. And as far as i know there is a strong scene of this kind of hip hop in LA. Some LA cats who make abstract hip hop have made great worldwide careers.... but on the other hand instrumental/abstract hip hop is not an easy listening music. it's rather for people with advanced music taste. maybe that's the reason...

Since when did Hip Hop have all these sub-genres, isn't that what killed Rock & Roll?
Care to name a few of these "Abstract Hip Hop" acts, in all my years of listening to Hip Hop it's never been advanced or anything. No matter who raps or when the song was recorded, the subject matter is always the same (gangs, violence, weed, being broke, black power, bitches, hoes, bling, money, corrupt government, racism etc...).

i guess instrumental/abstract hip hop originated from instrumentals (beats). simple as that. i know some people would find it strange to call this music hip hop while there is little rhyming in it.. or no rhyming at all. Nevertheless it's hip hop subgenre... it has originated from the same culture but went a bit further. it focuses on music, not rhymes. i guess there are many people like me who simply got bored with "classic" hip hop and moved to instrumental one. Just like you said.. it's hard to find brand new topic when it comes to lyrics. Music can speak more words imo... you can write your own story to these instrumentals... you don't need mc...

i guess the biggest name of instrumental hip hop from the west is Dj Shadow (many fo you probably heard about him. btw. i wen to his show in May. shit was amazing!). My most recent favourite is Dday One (L.A.).
just like i said - it's not an easy listening music so not many people can dig this...

edit: i don't know if abstract is the proper name. some folks in my surrounding use it but can;t find it anywhere on the net. but fuck the names anyway...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iD8lN1UNoK0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/iD8lN1UNoK0</a>

^mind the awful compression. sound quality is weak

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/t0rSlcu56rU" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/t0rSlcu56rU</a>

« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 07:01:26 AM by shoo »

KrazySumwhat

« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2011, 08:04:50 AM »
 Isnt that rapper "Mann" from the west? havent seen him mentioned but seems like he has had songs on the radio and videos on tv down here in Australia. I aint heard much from hiom but at the pub the other day the song he did with snoop he sounded pretty decent an the beat had that old 90's feel to it.
 If i remember the song he did with 50 had a similar vide/feel.
 Not sure if he selling big or not. He is west, right?

MistaNova

« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2011, 08:52:09 AM »
i guess instrumental/abstract hip hop originated from instrumentals (beats). simple as that. i know some people would find it strange to call this music hip hop while there is little rhyming in it.. or no rhyming at all. Nevertheless it's hip hop subgenre... it has originated from the same culture but went a bit further. it focuses on music, not rhymes. i guess there are many people like me who simply got bored with "classic" hip hop and moved to instrumental one. Just like you said.. it's hard to find brand new topic when it comes to lyrics. Music can speak more words imo... you can write your own story to these instrumentals... you don't need mc...

i guess the biggest name of instrumental hip hop from the west is Dj Shadow (many fo you probably heard about him. btw. i wen to his show in May. shit was amazing!). My most recent favourite is Dday One (L.A.).
just like i said - it's not an easy listening music so not many people can dig this...

edit: i don't know if abstract is the proper name. some folks in my surrounding use it but can;t find it anywhere on the net. but fuck the names anyway...

That "Our Music" joint is off the hook! Props for that.
Oops, I guess I must've missed the word "instrumental" in your first post (sorry for that, lol). I guess it's an instrumental with instruments playing on it instead of a MC spitting then (sorta like noise music?).
Dday One's tracks (or beats?) don't sound west coast at all, grimey (or groovy whichever fits). Awake & Aware's pure fire...
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 10:06:37 PM by Iveus »

friscoliving

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2011, 09:44:51 AM »
someone mentioned earlier about the new artists being internet obsessions? The internet is bigger than the streets, at this point which means they wont sell shit anyway because everybody is going to download it.

However crooked i is the biggest internet obsession i've seen on here. So you can't tell me only the new artists are big on the net.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2011, 11:45:44 AM »

I don't think there's a genre called abstract hip hop but I'd call Deltron and Busdriver abstract. And Mika 9, Aceyalone and hundreds of other artists make music that isn't any of those topics you mentioned. There's hip hop about everything dude, the subject matter isn't the same at all. This site is in love with 90s gangsta rap though, so those are the only rappers who get discussed here.

Quadruple OG

« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2011, 04:42:21 PM »
Since we're talking about success outside of an internet fanbase, how about LMFAO? They're west coast, they rap, and they're MUCH more successful in the "real world" than Lil' B, Kreayshawn, Odd Future, Nipsey Hussle, G. Malone, and Tyga combined. Some of you probably wouldn't know that based on some of the trollish posters that have emerged on this forum, but outside of your houses/apartments/mothers basement, in bars and clubs, nobody's playing Lil' B, nobody's playing Odd Future, nobody's playing G. Malone, nobody's playing Nipsey Hussle, etc. Out of all those discussed in this thread, the only ones that will get spins are Kreayshawn ("Gucci Gucci"), Cali Swag District ("Teach Me How To Dougie"), and Far East Movement ("Like A G6"). You ask people that regularly go out to bars/clubs to name another song from each of those artists, they will draw blanks. Real Talk.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2011, 05:03:19 PM »
LOL, stop.

You're comparing Odd Future, Kreayshawn, Lil' B & Kendrick Lamar to Eminem, Jay-Z, Kanye, Wayne & Drake?

Those names are billions & billions of miles below the game's elite sellers.

West Coast Hip Hop is dead.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2011, 08:22:55 PM »
Black Eyed Peas are the biggest west coast hip hop group

Smackdog

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2011, 08:36:30 PM »
I really dont care who is rapping on the west coast just as long as they throw up them dubbs......

that is what is important
"If you see me on a solo move believe that I'm strapped"  - dr. dre

"as he wondered what popped before he got popped, I told you this is dre and you know it dont stop"
"don't choke,  if you do,  you  have no clue, of what me and my homeboy Snoop dogg came to do"

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2011, 08:37:23 PM »
I really dont care who is rapping on the west coast just as long as they throw up them dubbs......

what if Crooked I gave you a shoutout, would you be his groupie again?

MistaNova

« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2011, 10:21:49 PM »
I don't think there's a genre called abstract hip hop but I'd call Deltron and Busdriver abstract. And Mika 9, Aceyalone and hundreds of other artists make music that isn't any of those topics you mentioned. There's hip hop about everything dude, the subject matter isn't the same at all. This site is in love with 90s gangsta rap though, so those are the only rappers who get discussed here.

I'm aware of that fact. However hip hop's main topics are the ones I mentioned, I'll take a listen to the artists you mentioned and see if I can be convinced otherwise...
(At the back of my head I'm expecting a dope ass rap about corn for some reason lol)

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2011, 10:25:55 PM »
hip hop's main topics are the ones I mentioned

Not.

Smackdog

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2011, 10:46:47 PM »

what if Crooked I gave you a shoutout, would you be his groupie again?

no cause he is wack....has no talent...and is a third team mc
"If you see me on a solo move believe that I'm strapped"  - dr. dre

"as he wondered what popped before he got popped, I told you this is dre and you know it dont stop"
"don't choke,  if you do,  you  have no clue, of what me and my homeboy Snoop dogg came to do"

HighEyeCue

« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2011, 04:37:27 AM »
definitely not commercially back on top but artistically they have some dope new up and coming artists