Author Topic: Infinite this song might soften your unjustified hatred for Messy Marv...  (Read 814 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
^^^ this guy is a complete retard, what's up with all the idiots on the forums lately

Principal of Relativity

My not wanting to listen to Messy Marv may sound stupid to you, but my reasons are totally valid.  Let me explain, because Marc Landus wrote a great article about this one time in the Source.  In fact it's the best fucking article I've ever read in my entire life.  He wrote it as the editorial piece on the Source issue where Dre's featured for leaving Death Row, and it was at the height of the East/West beef...

He wrote about how perspective and environment plays a huge role in the music that we like.  Ever wonder why you could be out at a club with a girl your really feeling at the moment, the vibe of the club is great, and right at that moment a song comes on and the club goes into euphoria and you think it's the dopest shit you ever heard  But yet, weeks later you finally get around to buying the cd and pop it into your stereo, and your like, "what the fuck is this trash", and it doesn't even seem like the same song?   What changed?   L

In the world of physics, this is called the PRINCIPLE OF RELATIVITY.

What a person percieves as reality is completely dependent on that person's point of reference and differs accordingly.  The point of reference can be anything from where you may live (e.g. Compton, Queens, suburbs, hood), to the manner in which you live your life (e.g. gangster, lover, book worm, etc.).   The Principle of Relativity is a principle addressing the diversity of human experiences.  Nothing reflects the formation of opinions as art does.

Take the East/West beef for example.  How dope would Warren G's laid back flow sound on "This D.J." if you were over on the East Coast riding on a stinky as subway?   Contrast that with the grimeyness of Method Man's "Bring The Pain" while your cruising 15 miles an hour on a slow sunny day in LA!

The songs in question don't change, what changes is ones point of reference.  And our point of reference, and our perspective, is shaped by many factors such as our environment and our experiences positive and negative.  This doesn't make either person wrong, it just makes everyone different.

Okay, so now that you have been educated on the subject of perspective, point of reference, and the Principal of Relativity; let's get back to the original discussion, which was about why I won't listen to Messy Marv.  If you are in an environment you don't like, and you are around people that you don't like.  Then the music enjoyed there will not sound that dope to you.  But if you are in a place that you like, and around people that you like, and you hear the same song you may see that song from a different perspective and enjoy it.

...this is actually a fascinating subject that I could go into a great detail about.  Because it has implications into everything in life, from what we believe in, to who we choose as friends, to how we choose to live, and so on.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Sccit

^^^ this guy is a complete retard, what's up with all the idiots on the forums lately

Principal of Relativity

My not wanting to listen to Messy Marv may sound stupid to you, but my reasons are totally valid.  Let me explain, because Marc Landus wrote a great article about this one time in the Source.  In fact it's the best fucking article I've ever read in my entire life.  He wrote it as the editorial piece on the Source issue where Dre's featured for leaving Death Row, and it was at the height of the East/West beef...

He wrote about how perspective and environment plays a huge role in the music that we like.  Ever wonder why you could be out at a club with a girl your really feeling at the moment, the vibe of the club is great, and right at that moment a song comes on and the club goes into euphoria and you think it's the dopest shit you ever heard  But yet, weeks later you finally get around to buying the cd and pop it into your stereo, and your like, "what the fuck is this trash", and it doesn't even seem like the same song?   What changed?   L

What a person percieves as reality is completely dependent on that person's point of reference and differs accordingly.  The point of reference can be anything from where you may live (e.g. Compton, Queens, suburbs, hood), to the manner in which you live your life (e.g. gangster, lover, book worm, etc.).   The Principle of Relativity is a principle addressing the diversity of human experiences.  Nothing reflects the formation of opinions as art does.

Take the East/West beef for example.  How dope would Warren G's laid back flow sound on "This D.J." if you were over on the East Coast riding on a stinky as subway?   Contrast that with the grimeyness of Method Man's "Bring The Pain" while your cruising 15 miles an hour on a slow sunny day in LA!

The songs in question don't change, what changes is ones point of reference.  And our point of reference, and our perspective, is shaped by many factors such as our environment and our experiences positive and negative.  This doesn't make either person wrong, it just makes everyone different.

Okay, so now that you have been educated on the subject of perspective, point of reference, and the Principal of Relativity; let's get back to the original discussion, which was about why I won't listen to Messy Marv.  If you are in an environment you don't like, and you are around people that you don't like.  Then the music enjoyed there will not sound that dope to you.  But if you are in a place that you like, and around people that you like, and you hear the same song you may see that song from a different perspective and enjoy it.

...this is actually a fascinating subject that I could go into a great detail about.  Because it has implications into everything in life, from what we believe in, to who we choose as friends, to how we choose to live, and so on.

so basically, if we were chillin out in cali and we were smokin a blunt to a nice view and i put on some dope messy marv shit, u would feel it based on environment? i totally understand the concept. in fact, i kinda get upset when people let environment and moods dictate how they perceive a song, because to me, that's just not listening with an open-mind, it's letting ur emotions control ur ears. but I get it, it happens to every1. i just think it's optimal to listen to music while judging it from a logical standpoint, as opposed to judging it based on relativity. if that were the case, I would NEVER bump Mobb Deep, Nas, Wu, etc. then again, I do feel west coast shit a whole lot more than east coast shit, so the principle applies to me, as well. i just think the principle is more of a flaw than it is a gift. feel me?

Suga Foot

Principal of Relativity

My not wanting to listen to Messy Marv may sound stupid to you, but my reasons are totally valid.  Let me explain, because Marc Landus wrote a great article about this one time in the Source.  In fact it's the best fucking article I've ever read in my entire life.  He wrote it as the editorial piece on the Source issue where Dre's featured for leaving Death Row, and it was at the height of the East/West beef...

He wrote about how perspective and environment plays a huge role in the music that we like.  Ever wonder why you could be out at a club with a girl your really feeling at the moment, the vibe of the club is great, and right at that moment a song comes on and the club goes into euphoria and you think it's the dopest shit you ever heard  But yet, weeks later you finally get around to buying the cd and pop it into your stereo, and your like, "what the fuck is this trash", and it doesn't even seem like the same song?   What changed?   L

What a person percieves as reality is completely dependent on that person's point of reference and differs accordingly.  The point of reference can be anything from where you may live (e.g. Compton, Queens, suburbs, hood), to the manner in which you live your life (e.g. gangster, lover, book worm, etc.).   The Principle of Relativity is a principle addressing the diversity of human experiences.  Nothing reflects the formation of opinions as art does.

Take the East/West beef for example.  How dope would Warren G's laid back flow sound on "This D.J." if you were over on the East Coast riding on a stinky as subway?   Contrast that with the grimeyness of Method Man's "Bring The Pain" while your cruising 15 miles an hour on a slow sunny day in LA!

The songs in question don't change, what changes is ones point of reference.  And our point of reference, and our perspective, is shaped by many factors such as our environment and our experiences positive and negative.  This doesn't make either person wrong, it just makes everyone different.

Okay, so now that you have been educated on the subject of perspective, point of reference, and the Principal of Relativity; let's get back to the original discussion, which was about why I won't listen to Messy Marv.  If you are in an environment you don't like, and you are around people that you don't like.  Then the music enjoyed there will not sound that dope to you.  But if you are in a place that you like, and around people that you like, and you hear the same song you may see that song from a different perspective and enjoy it.

...this is actually a fascinating subject that I could go into a great detail about.  Because it has implications into everything in life, from what we believe in, to who we choose as friends, to how we choose to live, and so on.

so basically, if we were chillin out in cali and we were smokin a blunt to a nice view and i put on some dope messy marv shit, u would feel it based on environment? i totally understand the concept. in fact, i kinda get upset when people let environment and moods dictate how they perceive a song, because to me, that's just not listening with an open-mind, it's letting ur emotions control ur ears. but I get it, it happens to every1. i just think it's optimal to listen to music while judging it from a logical standpoint, as opposed to judging it based on relativity. if that were the case, I would NEVER bump Mobb Deep, Nas, Wu, etc. then again, I do feel west coast shit a whole lot more than east coast shit, so the principle applies to me, as well. i just think the principle is more of a flaw than it is a gift. feel me?

I agree.

It is kinda cool tho when you're with your friends and 'that song' comes on and you're all hyped to hear it.  But if you were by yourself you'd be like 'meh'.

• Muthafuckin' Don!

so basically, if we were chillin out in cali and we were smokin a blunt to a nice view and i put on some dope messy marv shit, u would feel it based on environment?

exactly!  8)  ...and I actually enjoy listening to music I don't normally listen to when I'm in a different environment, cause it opens me up to new sounds.

i totally understand the concept. in fact, i kinda get upset when people let environment and moods dictate how they perceive a song, because to me, that's just not listening with an open-mind, it's letting ur emotions control ur ears. but I get it, it happens to every1. i just think it's optimal to listen to music while judging it from a logical standpoint, as opposed to judging it based on relativity. if that were the case, I would NEVER bump Mobb Deep, Nas, Wu, etc. then again, I do feel west coast shit a whole lot more than east coast shit, so the principle applies to me, as well. i just think the principle is more of a flaw than it is a gift. feel me?

Good point.  That's a more fair, objective way of listening to music.  Whereas, the method I was describing was from a much more selfish perspective...

...but think of it like this... Why do people sometimes smoke a cigarette after they smoke a joint?   Or after they have had sex?   It's to make the high last longer.   I see music as a way to ride out whatever mood you are in.  Just like you ride out whatever high the weed puts in you.  Sometimes the high makes you happy, sometimes it makes you reflective, sometimes it makes you angry.  But we enjoy riding that high whatever it is.   So it's not so much that I'm letting my mood affect my taste in music, as it is me wanting to let the music compliment my moods and whatever feeling (high) I'm experiencing at the moment.   And I'm sure you've had a good high ruined before, and that's something you have to watch out for.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 04:14:59 PM by Infinite- African West Coastin' 2010 »

Triple OG Rapsodie

lmao stupid article. So if I'm in New York I'm not gonna want to listen to Warren G? That's stupid logic. It's not where I'm at, its MOOD that determines what i want to listen to. Now sometimes environment can affect mood (ie like the example of being drunk at a party and jamming to dance music, doesn't take a genius to figure out). Most of the time environment is separate from mood. I've lived in Cali all my life, it doesn't stop me from bumping music from a wide variety of places.

The manner in which you live your life has little to do with music either. Someone being a computer nerd isn't going to stop them from loving hardcore gangsta rap. Point of reference? Lol the vast majority of this forum idolizes gangsta rap from California, a region which they have never been and know little about. When they get off this forum they go and speak in German/French/Italian to their family members about shit having zilch to do with California or its music. Infinite, you yourself probably grew up in a typical white Christian family and at some point fell in love with African culture. That in itself is proof that people choose their own interests, and many times its not based at all on point of reference or personal experience.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 04:17:11 PM by Spice 2 sees the bitch in you »

• Muthafuckin' Don!

I agree.

It is kinda cool tho when you're with your friends and 'that song' comes on and you're all hyped to hear it.  But if you were by yourself you'd be like 'meh'.

Right.  And the opposite is true as well.  Like I've been a fan of Phil Collins my whole life.  But imagine bumping that shit in a car full of guys, lol.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
lmao stupid article. So if I'm in New York I'm not gonna want to listen to Warren G? That's stupid logic. It's not where I'm at, its MOOD that determines what i want to listen to.

The manner in which you live your life has little to do with music either. Someone being a computer nerd isn't going to stop them from loving hardcore gangsta rap. Point of reference? Lol the vast majority of this forum idolizes gangsta rap from California, a region which they have never been and know little about. When they get off this forum they go and speak in German/French/Italian to their family members about shit having zilch to do with California or its music. Infinite, you yourself probably grew up in a typical white Christian family and at some point fell in love with African culture. That in itself is proof that people choose their own interests, and many times its not based at all on point of reference or personal experience.

Good job at contradicting yourself.

Now sometimes environment can affect mood (ie like the example of being drunk at a party and jamming to dance music, doesn't take a genius to figure out).

...and btw, that wasn't the article that I posted.  I was just paraphrasing the article and putting it into my own words
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 04:25:09 PM by Infinite- African West Coastin' 2010 »

Sccit

Infinite makes good points...Spice-2 didn't really get it.

Triple OG Rapsodie

lmao stupid article. So if I'm in New York I'm not gonna want to listen to Warren G? That's stupid logic. It's not where I'm at, its MOOD that determines what i want to listen to.

How so? You paraphrase an article claiming perspective and environment play a huge role in the music we like and I just explained how it doesn't. Even using your own tastes as an example. If you can love 2Pac's music, which has nothing to do with your own environment, then there's no reason you can't at least listen to a Messy song. If you can love west coast Death Row artists without living in California then obviously environment doesn't play a big role in your music tastes. If you can love Distant Relatives and visiting Africa, despite being a white guy from a middle class family then obviously point of reference isn't that important.

Sccit

How so? You paraphrase an article claiming perspective and environment play a huge role in the music we like and I just explained how it doesn't. Even using your own tastes as an example. If you can love 2Pac's music, which has nothing to do with your own environment, then there's no reason you can't at least listen to a Messy song. If you can love west coast Death Row artists without living in California then obviously environment doesn't play a big role in your music tastes. If you can love Distant Relatives and visiting Africa, despite being a white guy from a middle class family then obviously point of reference isn't that important.

lol, u don't get it...it's not about where ur from or how u grew up, it's about the environment ur in as ur listening to the music, the mood ur in as ur listening to the music, ur surroundings as ur listening to the music. these all have an affect on how u hear the song and how u mentally/emotionally perceive it at that very moment. it's like the difference between hearin a sad song at a funeral, or a sad song at ur birthday party.. ur likely to enjoy and feel certain songs more under certain circumstances. don't u get it? lmao...ur blabberin about nothin.

bouli77

i'm pretty much with nik on the whole issue. i understand infinite's logic but i think it's a bit reaching to do that though. and def not open minded. but society makes people do that. like listening to ja rule is not the thing to do if you want to be cool (random example), yet i'm sure if some rappers they like had dropped "livin it up" or "always on time" instead of ja, some people would have liked the track better.

Triple OG Rapsodie

lol, u don't get it...it's not about where ur from or how u grew up, it's about the environment ur in as ur listening to the music, the mood ur in as ur listening to the music, ur surroundings as ur listening to the music. these all have an affect on how u hear the song and how u mentally/emotionally perceive it at that very moment. it's like the difference between hearin a sad song at a funeral, or a sad song at ur birthday party.. ur likely to enjoy and feel certain songs more under certain circumstances. don't u get it? lmao...ur blabberin about nothin.

Did you even read what Infinite posted? He clearly mentions where and how a person grew up:     "What a person percieves as reality is completely dependent on that person's point of reference and differs accordingly.  The point of reference can be anything from where you may live (e.g. Compton, Queens, suburbs, hood), to the manner in which you live your life (e.g. gangster, lover, book worm, etc.).   The Principle of Relativity is a principle addressing the diversity of human experiences.  Nothing reflects the formation of opinions as art does."

I'm replying directly to what he posted. You haven't been paying attention. And you still don't get it. It's mood that matters, not environment. When you're at a funeral you're usually feelings sad, that's why you would want to listen to a sad song.

And Brian, even with that article you still haven't explained why you won't listen to the song.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 02:58:52 AM by Spice 2 sees the bitch in you »

Fraxxx

However, Infinite, if you're in a city you don't like, around people you don't like you should listen to the song all the more. It's melancholic music-wise but with an uplifting message.

BTW, you're missing out if you don't know the Outlawz/Dead Prez album.
i don´t need any medicate shit im 100 normal.

Sccit

Did you even read what Infinite posted? He clearly mentions where and how a person grew up:     "What a person percieves as reality is completely dependent on that person's point of reference and differs accordingly.  The point of reference can be anything from where you may live (e.g. Compton, Queens, suburbs, hood), to the manner in which you live your life (e.g. gangster, lover, book worm, etc.).   The Principle of Relativity is a principle addressing the diversity of human experiences.  Nothing reflects the formation of opinions as art does."

I'm replying directly to what he posted. You haven't been paying attention. And you still don't get it. It's mood that matters, not environment. When you're at a funeral you're usually feelings sad, that's why you would want to listen to a sad song.

And Brian, even with that article you still haven't explained why you won't listen to the song.

for most people, environment dictates mood, mood dictates perception. not rocket science.

Blood$

either way Infinite, you are sleeping on Stic Man (of Dead Prez) by sleeping on this record by Messy Marv