Author Topic: The South takin over the Westcoast sound and runnin wit it  (Read 412 times)

Trigg870

• Lil Geezy
The South takin over the Westcoast sound and runnin wit it
« on: August 19, 2011, 03:21:56 PM »
Yall know its true. Like in this song

« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 03:06:31 AM by K.Dub »

Jimmy H.

Re: The SOUTH takin over the WESTCOAST sound and runnin wit it
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 03:27:18 PM »
Maybe I'm missing something but how does this song have a WESTCOAST sound exactly?

late night

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 04:29:35 PM »
This is a better example

Si-Chiggedy

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 06:19:47 PM »
I c 2 dumb fucks in this thread .

hahaha, yeah... +1

anyway: when will you stop judging music by its origin and start appreciating the product itself? so "big poppa" is wack now cause it has a g-funk twist? my ass....

plus the song posted has nothing to do with west coast rap. it's new era gangsta rap. not a bad track though
Check out my blog "Love For The West" http://sichill-music.blogspot.com/

And hit me on twitter: http://twitter.com/Si_Chill

Si-Chiggedy

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 06:22:30 PM »
This is a better example

dude you know that master p started at the west coast before he moved to new orleans huh? lol...

BakinSodaFree

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Nathaniel Dwayne Hale - The greatest singer ever.
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 01:06:03 AM »
The south has always been inspired by the west coast to me.
Like, there some real G-Funk influence in so many old south albums, for example E.S.G - Ocean Of Funk.
They have that south crunk and slow style, chopped and screwed ect, but there is nothing new that the south is inspired by the west coast sound.
Under the society, still only god`s above me

R.I.P Nate Dogg.
You will forever be missed, but never forgotten.

late night

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 01:49:21 AM »
This is a better example

dude you know that master p started at the west coast before he moved to new orleans huh? lol...

Yeah he went to the bay. that doesn't mean he didn't take the west coast sound and run with it though.

bouli77

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 02:41:27 AM »
This is a better example

Yeah he went to the bay. that doesn't mean he didn't take the west coast sound and run with it though.

he didn't run with it. as soon as he moved back to the south he switched styles from Bay Area Mobb music to Bounce and other southern types of rap. his last 100% bay area project is 99 Wayz To Die, in the intro he says farewell to the Bay and shouts out every artist he'd worked with until then. his last album with a majority of westcoast sounding songs is Mr ice Cream man where he reps Richmond, but even then you could feel the growing influence of KLC. then a year later he drops Ghetto D and TRU 2 Da Game, and that's where his career really took off and his sound changed. P anticipated the downfall of westcoast music commercially speaking and he realized how moving back to the South could expand his career and his revenues.

that being said it's no mystery that some artists (i say some 'cause the south has so many local scenes with huge differences, horrorcore type of rap from memphis doesn't sound like your typical h-town song) from the south and the west had a similar sound before the south really developed their own sounds. gangsta rap was both prevalent in these areas, and artists from both regions influenced each other. Rap-a-Lot had westcoast artists (Menace Clan, Coz, Poppa LQ, and later Yukmouth), Death Row almost signed The Geto Boys and had signed the Convicts. you had south artists on westcoast albums (Music 2 Driveby, N Gatz We Truss, Nationwide Murdersquad) and west artists on south albums (sittin on top of the world, wicked buddah baby, the diary). Snoop says "smoke 'em and choke 'em like the muthafuckin Peter Man" on Stranded on Death Row. that's a nod to Big Mike (aka the Peter Man) and the Convicts who were signed on Death Row. and that was in 1992. there are many other instances, like the sick wid it compilation Southwest riders.

check this Boots Riley (The Coup) interview where he talks about that.

http://www.cbrap.com/?p=260

bouli77

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 02:45:19 AM »
He did have bay beats but he hit with bout it not mobbing through the hood .

well actually Bout It Bout It has more of a typical South sound than a bay sound. maybe because it was produced by KLC.

b.laden

Re: The South takin over the Westcoast sound and runnin wit it
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 04:05:26 AM »
in the early 90's , the south was completly influenced by the west .

Si-Chiggedy

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 04:49:08 AM »
This is a better example

he didn't run with it. as soon as he moved back to the south he switched styles from Bay Area Mobb music to Bounce and other southern types of rap. his last 100% bay area project is 99 Wayz To Die, in the intro he says farewell to the Bay and shouts out every artist he'd worked with until then. his last album with a majority of westcoast sounding songs is Mr ice Cream man where he reps Richmond, but even then you could feel the growing influence of KLC. then a year later he drops Ghetto D and TRU 2 Da Game, and that's where his career really took off and his sound changed. P anticipated the downfall of westcoast music commercially speaking and he realized how moving back to the South could expand his career and his revenues.

true! good post!

MistaNova

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 09:17:11 AM »
West-coast sound? The last south album I bought didn't have a single beat that had a Funky Worm or Zapp & Roger sample with synths all over it...

LooN3y

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Paid Tha Cost 2 Be Tha Boss
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 12:05:06 PM »
lol the south, lmfao

Tha Reella - Slap A Nigga Up Like Wyatt Earp / Sig downsized, too big.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2011, 12:21:12 PM »
That's because the West is dead.