Author Topic: History of 2Pac "Mind made up"  (Read 547 times)

samutahjazz

• Muthafuckin' OG
History of 2Pac "Mind made up"
« on: October 26, 2011, 11:42:54 AM »
why are meth and red on on it? deck was on it too? and rage? originally from dogg food? but when was all the verses done ?

Quadruple OG

Re: History of 2Pac "Mind made up"
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 12:13:34 PM »
why are meth and red on on it? deck was on it too? and rage? originally from dogg food? but when was all the verses done ?

Probably done around late 94-early 95. Original had verses from Rage and Inspectah Deck on it. It was left off of Dogg Food, Pac heard the track and they took off Deck and Rage's verses and added Pac.

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 01:32:49 PM »

Probably done around late 94-early 95. Original had verses from Rage and Inspectah Deck on it. It was left off of Dogg Food, Pac heard the track and they took off Deck and Rage's verses and added Pac.
On top of that, the rumor is that when actually assembling the tracks for the Dogg Food release, Daz couldn't find the master for Got My Mind Made Up in time, so the album got released without it.

When Pac started recording for All Eyez on Me, he ended up getting the track, but due to how long the track was running (as it's a long enough track as it is in retail form), they had to make some cuts and left off Rage and Deck, both of whom ended up re-recording their verses for other songs.

There was an interview with Method Man that I read recently, and Method Man said that he would've appreciated a phone call from Pac about the song having been put on All Eyez on Me with Pac's added vocals since he wasn't aware of it until later and it caught him by surprise, but it wasn't really an issue to him.

HighEyeCue

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 03:01:26 PM »
am I the only one who feels like Pac's verse doesn't fit the track? IMO he tried to be too lyrical to keep up with Kurupt, Meth and Red and it sounded kinda forced :-\

arubiano83

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 03:12:38 PM »

On top of that, the rumor is that when actually assembling the tracks for the Dogg Food release, Daz couldn't find the master for Got My Mind Made Up in time, so the album got released without it.

When Pac started recording for All Eyez on Me, he ended up getting the track, but due to how long the track was running (as it's a long enough track as it is in retail form), they had to make some cuts and left off Rage and Deck, both of whom ended up re-recording their verses for other songs.

There was an interview with Method Man that I read recently, and Method Man said that he would've appreciated a phone call from Pac about the song having been put on All Eyez on Me with Pac's added vocals since he wasn't aware of it until later and it caught him by surprise, but it wasn't really an issue to him.

you can read that interview here:
http://www.complex.com/music/2011/10/method-man-25-essential-songs/2pac-f-tha-dogg-pound-method-man-redman-got-my-mind-made-up-1996

its flash so i cant copy/paste it here

G-Funk

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 03:50:13 PM »
here's an excerpt from XXL where they discussed the making of all eyez on me.

"Got My Mind Made Up"

Kurupt: The original record was me, Rage, Redman, Method Man and Daz. I told Daz, "Man, this is the one, we need to drop this, we need to put this on Dogg Food." 'Cause we did it when we was making Dogg Food. When 'Pac came home, we put it up for 'Pac, like "You want this record?" 'Pac was like "Hell, yeah, I want that record!" And he dropped his verse where Rage's was, 'cause Rage said she'd put her verse on something else, and that's how that record made it on 'Pac's album. Me, Method Man and Redman and Daz and Rage-that was the original record, and Inspectah Deck was on it at the end. That's him you hear at the end: "Wish....this....bliss...."Thaat's inspectah Deck. I went and picked up Red and Meth and Deck personally and too them to Daz's house. We knocked the record off in about three, four hours. It was a done deal, and then we....we didn't use it, 'cause Daz wasn't feeling like mixing it and doing all that. We end up taking it to 'Pac when 'Pac came 'cause Suge was like, "When it's time to work on a project, everybody needs to give everything to whoever's project it is."

Daz: We did that song at my house. Kurupt had brought Method Man and Redman over to my house. And Inspectah Deck was on the song too. He was at the end-"I.N.S., the rebel...." Just his voice. They had taken his voice. They had taken his verse out and kept the background 'cause it sounded good. It wasn't originally 2pac song. I had transferred it at Dr. Dre's house and had left it out there. [2pac was] flossing like. "I got a beat with Method Man, Redman. Dre made it." That's what Dr. Dre told 2pac. That's how the whole fued started between Dre and 'Pac. 'Cause I happened to be walking by the studio like, "That's my beat. I did that." 2pac [was] like, "that's your stuff?" from that situation, that's when he and Dre started fueding. Dr. Dre was taking credit and wasn't doing nothing, wasn't coming around.

Young Dan Iza

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 05:51:33 PM »
heres what method man had to say about it

http://www.complex.com/music/2011/10/method-man-25-essential-songs/2pac-f-tha-dogg-pound-method-man-redman-got-my-mind-made-up-1996

Method Man: “I was out in Cali, Daz and them came and picked a nigga up. We went over Daz’s house. That was like my third time there. Those were my niggas so we used to hang. Daz throws on the record and I remember Rage was there. We were all rhyming on it. He went first, then Rage went, then Kurupt, then me, then Red, then Inspectah Deck.

“Then Pac comes home. I hadn’t heard anything about the record, but I had done so many different records with so many different niggas and I never really heard anything. Pac comes home and All Eyez On Meis being recorded. I’m listening to the radio, and it comes on the radio. So I’m like, ‘Oh shit.’ I’m listening to it and I hear Pac.

What I would have liked was a phone call personally from Pac. That would have felt a whole hell of a lot better, because then it would have really felt like I did this record with him. I met him after that though, and he was cool. I never even got a plaque for that shit.

“I was like, ‘Pac jacked the song I did with Dogg Pound.’ Then I hear Kurupt’s verse and I’m like, “Okay, they gave Pac the record. That’s what’s up.’ Then I hear my verse and I’m like, ‘Whoa, wait a minute.’ Then I hear Red’s verse and I’m waiting to hear Deck’s verse. I’m like, ‘Yo, Deck killed this shit. What the fuck is going on?’

“But those are my niggas. Being a real nigga, I know how shit goes. Like ‘California Love,’ that was a great record. I knew Pac came home and they just threw everything at Pac like, ‘Yeah, you can have that shit.’ So I respected that right there.

“What I would have liked to have had was a phone call personally from that man. That would have felt a whole hell of a lot better, because then it would have really felt like I did this record with him. I met him after that though, and he was cool.

“I never even got a plaque for that shit. Me and Pac never even discussed it. [Laughs.] That was something I did on the strength of my love for Dogg Pound, because those were my niggas. I was like, ‘Fuck a verse. That don’t mean shit right now. Nigga, you can have that. We peoples.’”

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 06:27:06 PM »
am I the only one who feels like Pac's verse doesn't fit the track? IMO he tried to be too lyrical to keep up with Kurupt, Meth and Red and it sounded kinda forced :-\
I know exactly what you mean, and I agree with it.  He tried to rhyme multisyllabic words but really didn't (as it was just basically a different start to the same ending, i.e. elevation/orientation/communication/gas stations/procrastination), but at least he tried, though the only time Pac really sounded dope was when he did his usual style ("Who's in control/ I'm activating your soul/ You know, the way the game's getting told").  But again, it was Pac at least doing something a little different and trying to go out of his comfort zone.

But honestly, I really only liked Meth's verse on that... he killed everyone else.  Daz's shit was just okay but he was hardly rapping and sounded like he was just talking, Kurupt's verse was too long but with too few good bars and Redman's verse just gets boring really fast to the point where I almost always forward to the next song after Meth finishes.

samutahjazz

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 07:41:18 PM »

deck says rbx was on it too?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 07:44:07 PM by samutahjazz »

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 07:54:20 PM »
Nah RBX was done fuckin with Death Row by then. Hints him not being on Dogg Food or MWTC
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

samutahjazz

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 07:56:21 PM »
i kno all that but does deck say he was in the interview? i dont have speakers where i'm at, sombody was sayin deck said that on another forum....