Author Topic: What Makes a Movie TRULY Good?  (Read 312 times)

Entreri117

• Master Chief
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
What Makes a Movie TRULY Good?
« on: January 25, 2003, 08:41:00 PM »
I want EVERYONE to post their opinions on what elements makes a movie truly good.

For me, I'd have to say the dialogue, and the "big picture" or storyline of a movie.  I have to know what the whole point of a movie is before I start watching it.  I've seen movies from beginning to end and still not know the story or plot of it.  But at the same time, I've tuned into a movie that I have never seen, with like 45 minutes into it, and I know the story or I have an idea of it.

For the dialogue, I have to understand what the hell they mean when they say certain things.  Like for a secret agent movie, when they give a mission name (like "Project EagleHead" or something), I have to know what the project is.  Also, as far as swearing is concerned, there has to some level of it to a movie.  People naturally swear, so when someone says "God darnit!", it makes the movie real corny.  But at the same time, there has to be a limit of it as well.  I say fuck alot when I talk, but is characters are saying fuck or shit or bitch all the time, it kinda makes the movie non-entertaining.  (Except for Arnold Schwarzeneggar...I could listen to him say Fuck all day and still laugh my ass off everytime he says it! LOL)

Sub-Z

Re:What Makes a Movie TRULY Good?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2003, 09:25:11 PM »
blood and a unstoppable evil mofo by the name of michael myers

Trauma-san

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2003, 11:50:17 PM »
I talked to a movie critic (I email him sometimes) about swearing in movies, and he (and I) came to the conclusion that movie execs are such lowlifes, they think everybody walks around all day cussing, that's why movies are full of it when it's unnecessary in a lot of them.  

Anyways, for me, for a movie to be good, it has to be realistically acted, EVEN if it's some crazy sci-fi stuff, and it has to keep you interested, one way or another.  I like all genre's of movies, if it's a comedy, they need to keep funny things rolling, and not do just stupid gross humour, and a running gag through the movie helps. If it's an action movie, you have to wonder what's coming next, they have to keep you interested.  If it's a horror movie, it needs to be scary, but in an intelligent way.  If it's a drama, it has to hold your attention and not be boring.  

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2003, 11:58:44 PM »
Good Storyline + Good Acting = Good Movie

closetothalimit

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2003, 01:16:45 AM »
directing - u gotta have a director that knows what he is doing and can use every technique to his advantage.

dialouge - its gotta be good and realistic dialouge - compared to this acting skills doesnt even matter - ive seen movies that have students doing a horrible acting job but they are great movies cause of dialouge e.g. Clerks.

elneckio

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2003, 10:08:53 AM »
Simple for me, as long as something explodes, a sweet car goes fast and theres a good soundtrack then I'm happy !
"just do what he says.. i find to my expense he's always right." ... Overseer 24/04/02

bez

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2003, 10:14:05 AM »
Action
Romance/Sex scenes ;)
Comedy

Along with great acting, a well written script and for me I love films that a charachter narrates.  I find them films to be amazing because usually its about somebodys life.

And another thing that makes every movie amazing is a TWIST!!!!!

bLaDe

• The Paradoxical Third Eye
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ..: Monolith :..
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2003, 01:26:14 PM »
You know, Great direction, dialogs, cohreography, realistic action, twists, story line can make any movie a good movie ..

-{bLaDe}
Waving My Double Edged Sword, God Sharpened My Blade...
Its Just Me Against The World, And The Evil That He Made...

.:TimeLock:.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Da Time Keepa!
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2003, 03:41:32 PM »

what he said^

if it's a remake it got to be kicking ass or it just gets looked down upon...

but generally for a movie to be good it gots to be shit i can relate to and shit that is moving and also shit that has never been done before is sometimes a good thing...and it don't hurt to have good action scenes

Jome

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2003, 04:16:04 PM »

Yeah, agree. most times..
But comedys can be good without storylines..

OutSider

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2003, 10:53:18 PM »
i think old yeller makes a good movies....

that old ugly yeller dog!

Pimpdogg

• 'G'
  • weapon of mass seduction
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2003, 02:45:02 PM »
Training Day had everything that made a good movie, good acting, good directing, and a storyline that had me gripped from start to finish . . .

. . . oh and Snoop as a crack dealer in a wheelchair ;D

Never surrender