Author Topic: i find the complete lack of g-funk weird  (Read 692 times)

i find the complete lack of g-funk weird
« on: December 30, 2011, 10:22:16 PM »
i know theres tons of threads about the west being dead/changing etc but thats not exactly what im saying.

i find it weird that its difficult to name a single group mainstream or underground that makes g-funk. snoop sorta at times, dpg?, maylay? (thug mafia does... some ridiculously obscure group from atl) like its actually hard to name anybody who makes it anymore. tons of people still listen to/reference old pac, snoop, dre (im guessing the fact that they dont even make it anymore probably is part of this), 90's west coast culture, etc. gfunk was huge... everybody knows nothin but a g thang. and rare g-funk albums sell for shitloads of money. i mean theres like 1000 bob marley cover bands and there isnt one group that makes g-funk 15 years after its peak?

and the south do g-funk as more then the west. fuckin waka got a beat or two that sounds as close to g-funk as anything ive heard out of the west for a long time.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 10:38:38 PM by 3331 »

Triple OG Rapsodie

Re: i find the complete lack of g-funk weird
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 11:05:08 PM »
It's the same reason you don't hear songs like this anymore:

or a more recent example:

It's not "the sound" anymore.

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 12:16:55 AM »
i know theres tons of threads about the west being dead/changing etc but thats not exactly what im saying.

i find it weird that its difficult to name a single group mainstream or underground that makes g-funk. snoop sorta at times, dpg?, maylay? (thug mafia does... some ridiculously obscure group from atl) like its actually hard to name anybody who makes it anymore. tons of people still listen to/reference old pac, snoop, dre (im guessing the fact that they dont even make it anymore probably is part of this), 90's west coast culture, etc. gfunk was huge... everybody knows nothin but a g thang. and rare g-funk albums sell for shitloads of money. i mean theres like 1000 bob marley cover bands and there isnt one group that makes g-funk 15 years after its peak?

and the south do g-funk as more then the west. fuckin waka got a beat or two that sounds as close to g-funk as anything ive heard out of the west for a long time.

Foesum makes the same music they always did.
and XL Middleton

but France and Japan, thats where u can find "g-funk" today

Jimmy H.

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 02:01:00 AM »
It's not that odd. Does the R&B still sound like Jodeci or Tony Toni Tone? How much new music sounds like Nirvana? Do the pop acts sound the same? You might have a few artists experiment with similiar sounds to invoke nostalgia but music is always changing and evolving. Remember how big crunk was five years ago? You think it will ever be that large again?

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 02:22:25 AM »
It's not that odd. Does the R&B still sound like Jodeci or Tony Toni Tone? How much new music sounds like Nirvana? Do the pop acts sound the same? You might have a few artists experiment with similiar sounds to invoke nostalgia but music is always changing and evolving. Remember how big crunk was five years ago? You think it will ever be that large again?

you can look around and find some stuff similar to tony toni tone & jodeci as well as nirvana if you dig. im not saying its weird g-funk isnt as popular as it used to be. i'm saying its weird damn NOBODY makes g-funk to invoke nostalgia as you said. especially when people still reference it often in music plus it old g-funk has a cult audience (tons of blogs, extremely regional albums going for huge $$$). i would think if gangsta p and lil pigg penn go for 100 dollars thered be some small time artists doing that sort of think and appealing to that crowd. id think thered be a few cats making trying to do it for the novelty or nostalgia or whatever.

and in reference to eric b & rakim TONS of underground rappers attempt to copy old new york rap.

i did forget about foesum. i heard that loyalty and respect album from a year or two ago and thats def some g-funk. do they actually have g-funk albums drop in japan and eurupe?

i also forget about scrooge's two albums. there are a few people.

Scrappy Doo

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 03:04:07 AM »
you do know that there is a TON of g-funk albums dropping every year..most of the are underground stuff. But there are still some major acts who got g-funk beats on a regular curren$y or dom kennedy for example...even wiz khalifa drops some g-funkish music from time to time. You only have to dig... u want hear it on the Radio thats for sure but if you dig forums and blogs youll find some dope g-funk nowadays.

bouli77

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 03:12:49 AM »
you do know that there is a TON of g-funk albums dropping every year..most of the are underground stuff. But there are still some major acts who got g-funk beats on a regular curren$y or dom kennedy for example...even wiz khalifa drops some g-funkish music from time to time. You only have to dig... u want hear it on the Radio thats for sure but if you dig forums and blogs youll find some dope g-funk nowadays.

exactly... even Lil Jon, Ludacris, T-Pain have done G-Funkish type of songs over the years. Wiz Khalifa, Curren$y also drop songs that have a G-Funk feel or rap over classic G-Funk instrumentals on their mixtapes.

if you want good modern G-Funk there are still artists doing it as of 2011 : Daddy V, Foesum, XL Middleton in Cali. Scrooge in Washington state. Mr Irocc in Arizona.

not to mention the usual suspects like DJ Quik, DPG, etc. who tried to move away from the sound but realized they would alienate their fanbase and not gain new ones for sure.

G-Funk is not the trend anymore but just like there are a lot of Bay artists that still do Mobb Music, there are artists who still do G-Funk even if the sound.

HighEyeCue

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 09:08:53 AM »
would like to know Big Hutch's opinion on this...

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 11:44:16 AM »
haha the steam is coming from his ears as we speak

Sccit

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 11:52:30 AM »
SFV-Funk, comin soon 8)

jasononon

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 04:12:29 PM »

Eric - Dubcnn.com

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 04:35:12 PM »

jasononon

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 04:38:30 PM »
New Zealand hip hop artist PNC.

In the Outbound Connections forum I think? I linked up a bunch of NZ songs and video clips if your interested peep that and tell me what you think? Few PNC in there.

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 10:41:51 PM »
haha the steam is coming from his ears as we speak

hutch been my favorite artist at different times in the past and i peeped live from the pen and thought it was weak and not gfunk at all. cant speak on his most recent.

Sccit