Author Topic: Death Row  (Read 1055 times)

Cavvy

Re: Death Row
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2012, 02:38:21 PM »
I wonder if those Heltwr Skelter tracks will ever see the light of day. Its rumored Dre copied every one of his masters before jumping ship

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2012, 04:42:13 PM »
dogg pound were inferior on Cant C Me compared to Pac's 3 verses

and u know Dre wasnt finishing Chronic 2 anytime soon

Dogg Pound dumbed down their lyrics cause they made it a party track

would have liked to hear what Ice Cube would have sounded on it

regardless of what they did, Pac didn't have to dumb down his lyrics and still made it hype as fuck

too bad that DPG one isnt out in CDQ though

HighEyeCue

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2012, 08:48:24 PM »
dogg pound were inferior on Cant C Me compared to Pac's 3 verses

and u know Dre wasnt finishing Chronic 2 anytime soon

Dogg Pound dumbed down their lyrics cause they made it a party track

would have liked to hear what Ice Cube would have sounded on it

regardless of what they did, Pac didn't have to dumb down his lyrics and still made it hype as fuck

too bad that DPG one isnt out in CDQ though

Pac killed the track with emotion, as far as lyrics he was not saying much

Cube would have really spit some knowledge on it though

KC-HOODSTA

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2012, 08:57:52 PM »
when 2pac came to death row he made that muthaphukka GREATER ya'll TRIPPIN'

you guys say that now cuz yall fucking was like 2 years old when he was on death row. when he went changed label Death Row was seen as unstoppable. and was viewed like that even before he joined. Death row made enough great music to be considered one of the best labels. but just didn't keep it going cuz of NIGGA shit!

random thought tho

Loud Records>All record labels

8)

Cavvy

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2012, 09:42:44 PM »

you guys say that now cuz yall fucking was like 2 years old when he was on death row. when he went changed label Death Row was seen as unstoppable. and was viewed like that even before he joined. Death row made enough great music to be considered one of the best labels. but just didn't keep it going cuz of NIGGA shit!

random thought tho

8)
I have to disagree, Pac certainly heightened the notoriety and raised the profile of Death Row but ultimately his signing and the subsequent fuckery him and Suge over indulged in resulted in the whole place breaking apart. I may catch flames for this but if Pac was never signed the legacy of the Row would be much greater than it is today.
All Eyez on me may be regarde as a classic by many but personally I think its Pacs 3rd best record and contains a bunch of filler

KC-HOODSTA

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2012, 10:00:05 PM »

random thought tho

8)
I have to disagree, Pac certainly heightened the notoriety and raised the profile of Death Row but ultimately his signing and the subsequent fuckery him and Suge over indulged in resulted in the whole place breaking apart. I may catch flames for this but if Pac was never signed the legacy of the Row would be much greater than it is today.
All Eyez on me may be regarde as a classic by many but personally I think its Pacs 3rd best record and contains a bunch of filler

but thats not my argument here. im saying he made death row much better. and it's not like it was fucking 2pacs fucking fault for death row falling. It was dre. he was the brains of the whole operation!

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2012, 04:27:36 PM »
but thats not my argument here. im saying he made death row much better. and it's not like it was fucking 2pacs fucking fault for death row falling. It was dre. he was the brains of the whole operation!
Even though Suge essentially took over Death Row and pushed Dre out of being a 50-50 partner, it doesn't seem like Dre tried all that hard to fix what he thought was wrong with Death Row.  Just listen to his interviews where he talked about Death Row... he mentioned how "nothing was being done" about the behind-the-scenes bullshit, like he was expecting someone else (probably Suge) to put a stop to it rather than standing up and doing something about it.  Regardless of how deep Suge rolled, Dre could've at least influenced a few people, especially within Snoop's camp, who were still a big portion of Death Row's roster even after Dre left.  Suge surely contributed to the shit going on behind the scenes, but I'm pretty sure that if Dre had a man-to-man conversation with him, maybe Suge would've taken it to heart and realized that despite the huge cash flow, they were losing direction as a company regardless of how feared they were.

While it ended up being a good career move for him to have left (considering how Pac died, Suge went to prison and the label basically collapsed), it's sad how he just walked away without wanting to fix it.  Sure, maybe it was mostly Suge's mess, but it was still his company that he helped create, and he just left it because he didn't want to clean it up before it was even really all that bad.  Who knows, maybe Dre's maturity that came about after he had his legal troubles would have made even better music while keeping Death Row out of trouble.  He was closer to Suge's age, so even if he didn't have much pull, you'd think that people would at least consider his opinions.

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2012, 07:16:46 PM »
Even though Suge essentially took over Death Row and pushed Dre out of being a 50-50 partner, it doesn't seem like Dre tried all that hard to fix what he thought was wrong with Death Row.  Just listen to his interviews where he talked about Death Row... he mentioned how "nothing was being done" about the behind-the-scenes bullshit, like he was expecting someone else (probably Suge) to put a stop to it rather than standing up and doing something about it.  Regardless of how deep Suge rolled, Dre could've at least influenced a few people, especially within Snoop's camp, who were still a big portion of Death Row's roster even after Dre left.  Suge surely contributed to the shit going on behind the scenes, but I'm pretty sure that if Dre had a man-to-man conversation with him, maybe Suge would've taken it to heart and realized that despite the huge cash flow, they were losing direction as a company regardless of how feared they were.

While it ended up being a good career move for him to have left (considering how Pac died, Suge went to prison and the label basically collapsed), it's sad how he just walked away without wanting to fix it.  Sure, maybe it was mostly Suge's mess, but it was still his company that he helped create, and he just left it because he didn't want to clean it up before it was even really all that bad.  Who knows, maybe Dre's maturity that came about after he had his legal troubles would have made even better music while keeping Death Row out of trouble.  He was closer to Suge's age, so even if he didn't have much pull, you'd think that people would at least consider his opinions.
this.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2012, 08:29:39 PM »
^ Haha thanks.  But the more I think about it, the more I remember what I don't like about Dre.  He's a control freak who wants stuff done his way, and unless he has control or gets his way, he walks away... sometimes he's right, sometimes he's wrong.  It's like that even when it comes to artistic creativity.  Dre's a musical genius, which is why he works so well with new artists who have talent but need focus since they will do what he wants.  Snoop was just happy to be in the same room as Dre and would gladly have rapped in Chinese if Dre told him to.  And later on, Eminem was in a similar situation, just glad to get out of Detroit and finally put his talent to work while being able to take care of himself and his daughter.  But despite both of them having been rapping for a bit before meeting Dre, it was Dre who introduced them to real studio recording to tell them how to do it.  Whereas other artists who were already established always had problems with him... Pac moved so much faster than Dre and was more dedicated to the label, Rakim didn't want to go in the direction that Dre wanted him to go into, etc.  And those relationships were all brief.  But it just shows how Dre changes his mind and moves onto the next project if his current one seems like there will be even the slightest hurdle.

kuruptlon

« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2012, 08:48:50 PM »

The long and short of it is that Dre didn't feel comfortable working in that environment anymore he was scared. He had to leave for his own wellbeing there was no turning that ship around at that point it was too deeply routed in the gang mentality.

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2012, 09:14:57 PM »
The long and short of it is that Dre didn't feel comfortable working in that environment anymore he was scared. He had to leave for his own wellbeing there was no turning that ship around at that point it was too deeply routed in the gang mentality.
I disagree though.  First of all, Death Row has always had gang ties, as damn near all of the artists claimed something, though of course Suge brought more and more of his own people in as Death Row "employees" who weren't artists or contributing musically in some way, shape or form.  But I'd say the gang shit didn't start getting out of control until after Dre left, which coincided with when Pac started getting all into the M.O.B. shit.

But despite Dre feeling more and more isolated from his own company, especially with all of the "cream of the crop from the streets" (as Bustop from O.F.T.B. once put it) having been signed to Death Row by Suge (but not by Dre), he was still being recognized as Death Row's main hitmaker at that time.  There were Dre interviews where he said random guys at Can-Am would be approaching him, stating that they had been signed and would be working with Dre, so obviously he was still a valued asset to the team if people wanted to work with him.  And even in his last days there, it was essentially his single that was expected to kick off Pac's album, and it definitely played a big role in All Eyez on Me's success, especially upon its initial release.  Luckily, other Death Row producers had caught their stride, so Daz and Johnny J were able to carry the album beat-wise with the following singles that they did, despite it having only two Dre-produced songs.  And Snoop even wanted Dre to work on Tha Doggfather, but of course Dre didn't want to have any affiliation with Death Row at that point.

Basically I think Dre still had enough importance to the company to be heard, but he never bothered to say anything.  When the studio engineer got beat up for rewinding the tape too far back (which he had mentioned was the last straw to him and lead to him leaving), I doubt that he did anything to even get the goons to leave the guy alone.  Dre wasn't a shot caller behind the scenes, but I highly doubt that at that time before leaving, Dre would've been beat up in the studio by them, given the fact that he was Dre and built the label.  Even some random thug of Suge's would know that.