Author Topic: Is Dr. Dre a Beatmaker or Producer?  (Read 570 times)

Hancock

• Lil Geezy
Is Dr. Dre a Beatmaker or Producer?
« on: March 14, 2012, 06:59:31 PM »
Dr. Dre is the greatest producer of all-time in rap. Daz, Warren G and other rappers keep saying Dre is not a beatmaker, but how come those guys that produced with Dr. Dre can't produce those same type of beats?

I am not sure what a producer is. Does the producer make the beat? The beatmaker makes the beats, obviously. So, the producer instructs the rapper in the studio to rap a certain way and all of that right?

DJ Premier is a beatmaker and Quincy Jones is a producer. I heard Quincy Jones is like a conductor like in an orchestra, is that like Dr. Dre?

I am asking because Quincy Jones has said he has never played an instrument, but he instructs a band of people to play music for him. How is Dre a producer like Quincy Jones if Dre can do his own drums?

Back in the 1980s, countless people said the NWA era beats were done by scratch and the samples were re-done, so they didn't have to pay for the clearance. Snoop Dogg has said that Dre did beats from scratch in the DR era, but Daz is saying he produced half of the Chronic and "Doggy Dogg World" on Doggystyle.

Sorry for the long post. I am just really confused. I don't like people taking credit for shit they didn't do. Like for example, Dr. Dre produced "In Da Club" for 50 Cent. In the booklet it says "Dr. Dre." Second example, on Busta Rhyme's "the Big Bang" album, "Get You Some" is produced by Dr. Dre and Mark Batson. How come Dr. Dre's name is solo on 50 Cent's and co-produced on Busta Rhymes' album?

If Dr. Dre didn't produce "the Chronic" or "Doggystyle" himself, wouldn't the other producers receive credit?

Okay, I am done with my novel lol.

Sccit

Re: Is Dr. Dre a Beatmaker or Producer?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 07:59:24 PM »
both

DblPen

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 12:54:41 AM »
sometimes beatmaker, but mostly producer and mixer

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 01:08:35 AM »
originally, producer meant the "conductor" or "orchestrator". (example -- Quincy Jones)

if u look up old credits on vinyl from the 70's, it can look like this-->

"Music by: --- "
"Produced by: ---- "

hiphop (specificaly) changed the defintion of what a producer-credit is (for the worse or not, is debatable).
Dr Dre is basicaly a producer, but he makes beats too (thats what he started as - a "beatmaker")

u dont have to add a musical input per say, in order to get a production credit. as long as ur conducting the overall shape of the "song"-creation - ur a producer (example --- P. Diddy)

« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 01:13:46 AM by Michael Madsen (Der Führer des Dritten Reichs) »

o g s u e s o n e

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 01:16:44 AM »
Dre always got a production team with him. From Chris Taylor, Daz, Warren, Soopafly, D.O.C to Mel-Man just to name a few. He´s a perfect mixer, got good ideas and knows how to work with the music software. I would call him "head of production".

Okka

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 01:22:18 AM »
Dr. Dre has a team of musicians who create the beats.

Sccit

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 01:41:28 AM »
Dr. Dre has a team of musicians who HELP create the beats.

West$ide Boi

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • 'Women, Weed & Weather'
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 02:12:00 AM »
I have to say both

TRG

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 02:50:34 AM »
Producer.

Will_B

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 05:02:38 AM »
Dre said himself he started out as a music engineer.

He's gone trough all the jobs,

Engineer, dj, mc, mixer, producer (plus playing Instruments), rapper, exec producer, ..everything.

Easiest way on paper is to call him a producer, but he does it all.

dnjp4life

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2012, 05:34:15 AM »
If you're saying Dre is the one who literally presses the buttons, plays the keys, uses the drum pads to make the sounds etc, I don't know.  I think what he does is create the skeleton beat, i.e. the drum loop, and then gets other musicians such as keyboardists and bass guitar players to flesh out the beat in the direction that he wants it to go.

I remember reading an interview where someone said he has only recently learned how to play the piano properly and is learning the guitar and musical theory for the first time.  All I know is that he is a damn good mixer of records!

Okka

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 06:23:29 AM »

Nah, they play the music. That means they create it.

Sccit

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 06:34:44 AM »

Nah, they play the music. That means they create it.

not true... u can create a beat without playin the instruments.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 05:36:21 AM »
If you're saying Dre is the one who literally presses the buttons, plays the keys, uses the drum pads to make the sounds etc, I don't know.  I think what he does is create the skeleton beat, i.e. the drum loop, and then gets other musicians such as keyboardists and bass guitar players to flesh out the beat in the direction that he wants it to go.

I remember reading an interview where someone said he has only recently learned how to play the piano properly and is learning the guitar and musical theory for the first time.  All I know is that he is a damn good mixer of records!
he can play the drums and the piano, but he still works with keyboard players like dawaun parker & mark batson.

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 05:33:05 PM »
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.