Author Topic: Slim Calhoun - "The Skinny" - Most Slept On Classic Album Apprec. Thread  (Read 278 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
I always bump this album when the weather starts warming up for spring.  Outkast was in their prime at the time they put out Slim Calhoun.  Their production and oversight of this project, and their fingerprints are all over this one.  Stankonia went 4X platinum and was critically praised for it's sonic excellence.  The production on this album may not be equal, but it does have a similar sound and feel.  3 cuts stand out as timeless classics...

Track 5- "Timelock"-   I read somewhere that this is the track that got Slim his deal.  Makes sense.  The song is deeply touching, about the struggles of life, and feeling your always making one step forwards just to take two steps backwards.  Real shit.

Track 12-  "Lil Buddy"-  Another touching song about a friendship/old girlfriend from back in the day.  The lyrics are somewhat scattered so it's hard to tell whether he's talking about an old homeboy or his baby mama or what exactly, but whatever it is he's writing about, it works out fabulously. 

Track 14-  "Worldly Ways" - On this track his lyrical skill finally matches the excellence of the production.  This track is flawless.  Makes you reminisce and takes you on a time traveling journey through your life, as you watch the world turn.

...after that there were some other dope tracks that helped fill out the album.   Tracks 2 "Red Clay" and Tracks 3 "This Young G" are tight and definitely have replay value.  Slim almost comes off like a Southern version of Snoop on these tracks.  The lyrics are stripped down and simplified, but dope nonetheless. 

The single "It's Okay" was decent enough and "The Cut Song" probably would of been a better choice for a first single.  The album did contain some filler, but definitely one of the most slept on classics in hip-hop history overall.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Hack Wilson - real

lmao @ this guy naming himself after Uconn's college basketball coach

Lunatic

Yo, I feel the same way about this album.

I was blown away the first time I heard it a few years ago. That's when I did the ENTIRE Dungeon Family discography, this record here really surprised me. Outside of OutKast & Goodie Mob, it may be their best release.

I talk to Slimm Calhoun every other week. He workin' on some new stuff, I hope y'all get to hear it soon.

I actually just put together a crazy Atlanta posse record with him on it.
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Sleazy

I gotta check this out.

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't

I was blown away the first time I heard it a few years ago. That's when I did the ENTIRE Dungeon Family discography, this record here really surprised me. Outside of OutKast & Goodie Mob, it may be their best release.

I talk to Slimm Calhoun every other week. He workin' on some new stuff, I hope y'all get to hear it soon.

give me the run down on this album.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

BiggBoogaBiff

I remembered when "It's Okay" debuted on TV, I knew I had to have this album.  I kept checkin for it but it never was in stores until 1 day.  It definitely had filler but Slim was cool in my book!

All these horny girls wanna fuuuck.  It's ight girl, it's okay, it's alright girl, it's okay

wonderland, wonderland...

D1G1T4L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Digital Productions
So what happened to this guy? Why no follow up album/mixtapes etc?

3rd Coast

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Showin naked ass in the great state of Texas
I always bump this album when the weather starts warming up for spring.  Outkast was in their prime at the time they put out Slim Calhoun.  Their production and oversight of this project, and their fingerprints are all over this one.  Stankonia went 4X platinum and was critically praised for it's sonic excellence.  The production on this album may not be equal, but it does have a similar sound and feel.  3 cuts stand out as timeless classics...

Track 5- "Timelock"-   I read somewhere that this is the track that got Slim his deal.  Makes sense.  The song is deeply touching, about the struggles of life, and feeling your always making one step forwards just to take two steps backwards.  Real shit.

Track 12-  "Lil Buddy"-  Another touching song about a friendship/old girlfriend from back in the day.  The lyrics are somewhat scattered so it's hard to tell whether he's talking about an old homeboy or his baby mama or what exactly, but whatever it is he's writing about, it works out fabulously.  

Track 14-  "Worldly Ways" - On this track his lyrical skill finally matches the excellence of the production.  This track is flawless.  Makes you reminisce and takes you on a time traveling journey through your life, as you watch the world turn.

...after that there were some other dope tracks that helped fill out the album.   Tracks 2 "Red Clay" and Tracks 3 "This Young G" are tight and definitely have replay value.  Slim almost comes off like a Southern version of Snoop on these tracks.  The lyrics are stripped down and simplified, but dope nonetheless.  

The single "It's Okay" was decent enough and "The Cut Song" probably would of been a better choice for a first single.  The album did contain some filler, but definitely one of the most slept on classics in hip-hop history overall.

yessir..i still keep this album in rotation...

the beat bullies even sold chamillionaire..the beat n damn near the concept to the skinny song...listen to think im crazy from sound of revenge..damn near the same song...hook sung in the same tune n everything..

the cut song..was the 1st time a none texas rapper spoke on syrup/drank/codiene even had double cups n gallons of drank in the video n it was unedited..lol

it barely went gold...he had a nice lil buzz comin off stankonia..was ft on clue tape with outkast funkanella..

shocked me when big k.r.i.t use portions of its okay's hook on highs n lows...

him n killer mike had the best chemistry in the dungeon from the 2nd generation..

his career came at a stand still once aquemni records folded...he got a couple of songs floatin around..had a song in 09 with killer mike called hoes..had his on song called spaceships..

he still around makin music hear n there..dropped a mixtape as well....

http://www.facebook.com/slimm.calhoun

http://www.livemixtapes.com/mixtapes/14237/slimm_calhoun_plugged_in.html
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 09:16:05 PM by 3rd Coast »

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th

You talk to him every other week?  ...what does he say these days about that first album, looking back
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

operation stackola

• Muthafuckin' Don!
I definitely slept on this album, gotta check it out. Still got the CD single for Its Okay. How was that Cool Breeze album? (the one with Watch For The Hook) That's another one from Outkast's camp I slept on too.

3rd Coast

• Muthafuckin' Don!
I definitely slept on this album, gotta check it out. Still got the CD single for Its Okay. How was that Cool Breeze album? (the one with Watch For The Hook) That's another one from Outkast's camp I slept on too.

put it like this i have always said..

that if

the dungeon had waited til 03....n brought out killer mike's monster, backbone's concrete law, slimm's the skinny... and cool breeze's east point greatest hit

ti, jeezy, gucci, n none of the rest of trappers..would even much made it..

backbone n cool breeze albums were so far ahead of their time...its ridiculous...

hell they can finally release lil will album..he will take neyo, trey, chris n usher spot...

operation stackola

• Muthafuckin' Don!

put it like this i have always said..

that if

the dungeon had waited til 03....n brought out killer mike's monster, backbone's concrete law, slimm's the skinny... and cool breeze's east point greatest hit

ti, jeezy, gucci, n none of the rest of trappers..would even much made it..

backbone n cool breeze albums were so far ahead of their time...its ridiculous...

hell they can finally release lil will album..he will take neyo, trey, chris n usher spot...

Real talk. There was a lot of talent over there

Lunatic

You talk to him every other week?  ...what does he say these days about that first album, looking back
Yea I do.. I don't ask him much about it to be honest.

3rd Coast: The best song on that mixtape is "Do Whatcha Do" prod by Toomp. I world premiered that song about 2 years back!

And yea, Backbone & Cool Breeze albums were dope also.
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

3rd Coast

• Muthafuckin' Don!

its an entire group of calhouns over in the dungeon family...slimm is his neck name cool breeze another member..

luna..i gotta put that mixtape back in rotation because it jammed all over to me..

the dungeon is the 2nd best crew in hip hop...after the wu...

meathead was future ol rappin name back in the day when he was part of the connect on dungeon east...n he was way better than the shit he does now..

and it was cat from carson... k.e.d dungeon west..he was a beast..roscoe kurupt pimp c..

all are dungeon members...since back in the gap...alot of them useta sleep in pimp c house in atlanta when he stayed near keith sweat...pimped helped alot on society of soul, sleepys theme...n a couple of others..if u got old dungeon music..u hear the church organ..thats pimp

operation stackola

• Muthafuckin' Don!

its an entire group of calhouns over in the dungeon family...slimm is his neck name cool breeze another member..

luna..i gotta put that mixtape back in rotation because it jammed all over to me..

the dungeon is the 2nd best crew in hip hop...after the wu...

meathead was future ol rappin name back in the day when he was part of the connect on dungeon east...n he was way better than the shit he does now..

and it was cat from carson... k.e.d dungeon west..he was a beast..roscoe kurupt pimp c..

all are dungeon members...since back in the gap...alot of them useta sleep in pimp c house in atlanta when he stayed near keith sweat...pimped helped alot on society of soul, sleepys theme...n a couple of others..if u got old dungeon music..u hear the church organ..thats pimp

Oh yeah, Pimp is one of the most underrated producers in hip hop. Its hard listening to UGK shit after Pimp