Author Topic: Baby S Interview  (Read 214 times)

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
Baby S Interview
« on: March 31, 2012, 10:27:47 PM »
http://illuminati2g.com/site/2012/03/31/baby-s-interview/

I2G chilled with Baby S for a exclusive interview. We discuss his work with Kurupt on the classic west coast cut We Can Freak It, his work on Antra and Ruthless, his upcoming album and so much more so check it out.

Illuminati 2G is here with Baby S, how’s it going?

It’s alright man, it’s going cool.

For those unfamiliar with your music, tell me a little bit about how you got your start in hip hop and who are some of your musical influences out there coming up.

My musical influences are Eazy-E, Dana Dane, Slick Rick, Scarface, that genre of rap. Ice Cube, that whole NWA camp.

How did you end up linking up with Kurupt and Antra Records back in 1997, 1998?

I was recording at a studio in Glendale, California called Back Room with Battlecat. I actually think Battlecat was working on Kurupt’s album during that time when I was working with Cat. Kurupt had heard some of my songs and he wanted to put me on his album. As a matter of fact, I was on King T’s Aftermath album, Thy Kingdom Come first.

Right, I remember that.

That is how Kurupt heard of me was from my work with Aftermath. He put me on his album (Kuruption) on a couple songs and the first song we did ended up being his first single(We Can Freak It). Actually Foxy Brown wanted the track when she first heard it. She was like oh that song is the shit right there. He was with Foxy at the time and then he said oh yeah that is my first single off the album.

That actually leads into my next question. Did you think We Can Freak It would be as big of a club hit as it is today? I mean you can still throw that on today and people get down to it.

Actually when we first did it, I did not even know because it was similar to the music that we were doing the entire time. I had already did alot of songs with Battlecat and I had a tape with at least 20 songs with Battlecat on them and a couple with Kurupt on them. It would be a Kurupt solo and I would come on and rap a little bit. But nah I did not know that people would dig the songs me and him would do like they did.

Do you have any unreleased albums or songs in the vaults at Antra that you have access to that you might release?

I don’t know with Antra, I could not even tell you where to begin to get that material.

Ok. Then from Antra you went over to Ruthless and you dropped Street Fractions. Any good memories in creating that album and what happened with that situation?

Well actually after Antra, I started working with Suave House then I went over to Ruthless.

Oh ok.

As far as Ruthless they were cool, but I felt like they could have done more for my album as well. All of my hype and buzz was coming off of the material I already did before signing. I mean I did the album and had the single with Layzie Bone, but I really don’t see what Ruthless really added on to the pot. Maybe they did and I just did not see it but to me it was the other stuff that I was doing that was keeping the flame going.

I ran across this track on YouTube called The Godfather. It is with you and Dr. Dre, just tell me a little bit about how that song came together and is there any chance that you will release the full version of that record?

I actually did that track with Bud’da when he was working with Aftermath.

Yeah I ran across the track and it is only a minute and 50 seconds long. Just a intro and Dre’s verse on it. Then you rap after that.

Yeah I did that song waay back when Bud’da was working on Xzibit’s 2nd album with Ras Kass and Saafir (40 Dayz 40 Nightz). That was right around the same time as King T’s Aftermath album and the Aftermath compilation.

Do you have more unreleased music with Aftermath?

I have unreleased work but it is mainly with King T. Man I have so much stuff in the vaults that I can hardly remember.

Alright let’s fast forward to the present. You mentioned earlier that you are working on a new album, is there any details that you can give about it?

Yeah I am going to drop the album this summer and drop a single on Itunes. The name of the single is California Style and the video is up on YouTube. It will all be up by the time this interview goes up. I have E-40 on the album, Snoop Dogg, Kurupt, Bone Crusher, this new rapper from the South named B Familiar, Gucci Mane, Keak Da Sneak.

But yeah late summer, early fall, it’s independent so I want to build my buzz back up then release the album. I also have a group that I am in talks with Snoop about doing. The group would be myself, Snoop and Ruff Dogg.

Oh ok, how did that group come together?

Well really Snoop is in control of the group and he put it together. It was around the time when they were working on Bad Azz’s album and Snoop proclaimed that we were The Doggfathers and they were considering changing my name to Baby Snoop back then. I am still down to do the group, I know it has been a while since he mentioned it.

What are your thoughts on west coast hip hop in 2011 and where it’s headed in 2012?

To me the music industry elevates, innovates and transcends itself all the time. I like the change and we are always trying to come up with something new and we don’t stay on the same thing forever at a time.

Do you have any upcoming shows or tour dates?

Well right now I am working on a mixtape with Kurupt and I am sure we will build a tour around that and performing some of our old tracks as well.

What’s your website information for people looking to check out your music and see what you have going on?

www.youtube.com/themistermoneybags. Check out my single, Baby S- California Style.

Alright well that is all the questions I have for you, appreciate you getting down for the interview. Is there any last words or shoutouts you want to get out there to the people?

Much love to everyone, and be sure to pick up the album when it’s out. Thanks to Illuminati 2G for this interview and that’s a wrap.

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

Re: Baby S Interview
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 05:18:26 AM »
cool great interview
check Baby S new single, here -> http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=280915.0

so Budda produced "Da Godfatehr", and not Dr Dre?
thnx for clearin taht up

Tutlock

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 05:36:55 AM »
i never liked we can freak it . don´t know why but it´s just a bit boring to me

Desert Lord

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 05:37:23 AM »
thx...good interview

Desert Lord

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 05:39:49 AM »

well to each it's own, but i can't understand how somebody can dislike that track

HighEyeCue

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 06:33:59 AM »

well to each it's own, but i can't understand how somebody can dislike that track

classic track, but at the time I was expecting something mind blowing lyrcially from Kurupt's first solo single and this wasn't it

Desert Lord

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 07:16:30 AM »

classic track, but at the time I was expecting something mind blowing lyrcially from Kurupt's first solo single and this wasn't it

right, but the track lives because of it's beat...the beat is so deep. i think a lyricly explosion wouldn't fit in that track

Will_B

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 07:19:00 AM »
thx...good interview

This^^

So out of interest, who's rappin Dre's part on Godfather?

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 09:29:40 AM »
thx...good interview

This^^

2pac

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 10:08:32 AM »

right, but the track lives because of it's beat...the beat is so deep. i think a lyrical explosion wouldn't fit in that track
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Eric - Dubcnn.com

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 10:14:30 AM »
thx...good interview

This^^

Drauma is rapping Dre's part and J. Flexx was originally where Baby S was rapping.

Will_B

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 10:23:25 AM »
thx...good interview

This^^

Drauma is rapping Dre's part and J. Flexx was originally where Baby S was rapping.

Thanks for confirming that. Makes sense seeing as Drauma wrote nearly all Dre's verses back then (and a couple of Dre's verses on Thy Kingdom Come, so that's exactly when Baby S was involved in the camp).