Author Topic: Your Kansas City Royals 2012 Preview (Open Season tonight on ESPN against Pujos)  (Read 339 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
For the first time since the early 90's there is actually some hype surrounding the team this year.   Believe it or not, general manager Dayton more actually had a 10 year plan to turn around the team!  Damn right.  That's a 10 year plan!  How many other cities would suffer through 10 years of losing while the GM builds through the draft and the minor leagues.  This types of shit only happens in Kansas City.

But we've suffered through it and now we are ready to win.  And by win, I mean maybe 80+ games, which would actually be fucking awesome for a team that has only had one winning season in some 20 years.   Losing 90-100 games is the norm around here.  So 80+ wins would make for a very exciting season.

So with the bar being set that low, here's what we have to look forward to...

1rst Basemen- Eric Hosmer-   This guy is even getting hyped up over at ESPN as being one of the top 1rst basemens in the AL.  It's going to be his second season.  This guy has always projected to be a superstar and after a strong rookie season, people are expecting big things this year.   He plays above average defense and can hit something like .290 with 20+ homers and 90+ RBI's.

DH Billy Butler-   This guy can hit .300 in his sleep.  Showed a power boost last year.  Always had a wieght problem but he actually came into camp in the best shape of his life.  So expect him to have a HUGE year, maybe make the All-Star game.

LF-  Alex Gordon-   After being a bust for about 4 years in the Majors, this guy finally had a breakout season and lived up to his potential last year.   He lead the league in putouts from LF last year, he could get a gold glove.  Also hit over .300 with power.

CF-  Lorenzo Cain-  You may remember this guy from the Brewers a couple years ago.  Had to stay in the minors last year because of Melky Cabrera.  He came over in the Zack Grienke trade.  This guy has lead the league in hitting during spring training.   Should have a huge breakout year.

SS-  Alicedes Escobar-  As good of a defensive player as you will find.

3B- Mike Moustakas-  Another one of the bigtime prospects who came up in the Royals organization.

....now to the pitching...

Bruce Chen-  The older this guy gets the better he gets.  
Jonathon Sanchez-  Was an All-Star before his injury, trying to resserect career in KC
Luke Hochever-  Another big-time prospect that came up in Royals organization who is finally coming into his own.
Danny Duffy-  Big Time Prospect, high upside

...that's about all the names you need to keep an eye on here in Kansas City.   Should be a great year.  We get started at 9pm tonight on ESPN.  Albert Pujos will be playing the Royals in his first major league game as an American Leaguer
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 12:01:35 PM by Infinite- African West Coastin' 2010 »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Javii

• 'G'
I hope Broxton has a good year for you guys.  Torre fucked up this dude's arm for overusing him, he might be back in form. 

Remedy360

Who the hell is Pujos?  ;D. Anyways, from an outsiders perspective it seems like the Royals have been trying to build through youth forever but the same shit just happens every season. My M's have been crappy for a while two but we have only been building with youth for the last few seasons (and had to suffer through 5 seasons of Bill Bevasi who is arguably the worst GM of all time). We got Ackley, Montero, and Smoak who were all top 10 prospects at one point, plus Saunders and Carp with great physical ability looking to have breakout years. Anything we can get from Ichiro or Figgins is a bonus, but I'm really only concerned about the young guys. Anyways, I'm with you, not expecting to win the division, but just excited to watch a fun exciting team on the rise hopefully get somewhere in the 75-85 win range. Overall, just happy it's baseball season  8)

MistaNova

I like Hosmer (I have his rookie card) and the Royals' future is promising. But I don't really see them going to the post season, I do see them getting in the way of whoever is trying to win the wild cards in September though.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Who the hell is Pujos?  ;D. Anyways, from an outsiders perspective it seems like the Royals have been trying to build through youth forever but the same shit just happens every season. My M's have been crappy for a while two but we have only been building with youth for the last few seasons (and had to suffer through 5 seasons of Bill Bevasi who is arguably the worst GM of all time). We got Ackley, Montero, and Smoak who were all top 10 prospects at one point, plus Saunders and Carp with great physical ability looking to have breakout years. Anything we can get from Ichiro or Figgins is a bonus, but I'm really only concerned about the young guys. Anyways, I'm with you, not expecting to win the division, but just excited to watch a fun exciting team on the rise hopefully get somewhere in the 75-85 win range. Overall, just happy it's baseball season  8)

no offense but the Mariners suck.  Most of the time when a team says it's rebuilding that's like saying "we are going to be a bad team for a while so don't get your hopes up".

The difference with the Royals is that they are actually finished rebuilding.  It took them 10 fucking years, but they are no longer in rebuilding mode.  The Royals have officially stated that the time is now for them.  When catcher Salvador Perez went down with injury in spring training and was going to miss several weeks, they immediately went out and traded away minor league prospects for a catcher Centero who is only going to play the first half of the year.  Because this is a team that is no longer all about the future.  They are even willing to trade away future prospects for a few weeks of production!

I just don't think Seattle is a fair comparison for what is happening in Kansas City this year.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
I like Hosmer (I have his rookie card) and the Royals' future is promising. But I don't really see them going to the post season, I do see them getting in the way of whoever is trying to win the wild cards in September though.

Hosmer is off to a fast start.  He's homered in 2 of the first 3 games of the season, and is a big reason why the Royals won the series against the Angels. 

...I don't see the Royals getting to the postseason either.  Prince Fielder is with the Tigers now right?  So the Tigers would have to falter to give the Royals a chance. 

Remedy360

Who the hell is Pujos?  ;D. Anyways, from an outsiders perspective it seems like the Royals have been trying to build through youth forever but the same shit just happens every season. My M's have been crappy for a while two but we have only been building with youth for the last few seasons (and had to suffer through 5 seasons of Bill Bevasi who is arguably the worst GM of all time). We got Ackley, Montero, and Smoak who were all top 10 prospects at one point, plus Saunders and Carp with great physical ability looking to have breakout years. Anything we can get from Ichiro or Figgins is a bonus, but I'm really only concerned about the young guys. Anyways, I'm with you, not expecting to win the division, but just excited to watch a fun exciting team on the rise hopefully get somewhere in the 75-85 win range. Overall, just happy it's baseball season  8)

no offense but the Mariners suck.  Most of the time when a team says it's rebuilding that's like saying "we are going to be a bad team for a while so don't get your hopes up".

The difference with the Royals is that they are actually finished rebuilding.  It took them 10 fucking years, but they are no longer in rebuilding mode.  The Royals have officially stated that the time is now for them.  When catcher Salvador Perez went down with injury in spring training and was going to miss several weeks, they immediately went out and traded away minor league prospects for a catcher Centero who is only going to play the first half of the year.  Because this is a team that is no longer all about the future.  They are even willing to trade away future prospects for a few weeks of production!

I just don't think Seattle is a fair comparison for what is happening in Kansas City this year.

LOL. Teams all build differently and we've only been going young for two seasons. When we're rebuilding we're-stocking the team and farm system and omitting all the crap that Bevasi left us with (draft picks+bad contracts) Taking ten years to rebuild with young players like your shit team did, that's when you know you suck as an organization. LMAO, ten years rebuilding with young players?  That's not really normal man..
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 04:19:52 PM by Remedy360 »

Javii

• 'G'
Table 1A: Marginal Payroll per Marginal Win, 2007-11
Rk    Team (2007-2011)    Avg. W-L    Marginal $/Win
1    Marlins    79-83    $0.78
2    Rays    86-76    $0.88
3    Padres    78-84    $1.16
4    Diamondbacks    80-82    $1.41
5    Rangers    85-77    $1.47
6    Athletics    76-86    $1.52
7    Pirates    65-97    $1.53
8    Indians    78-84    $1.57
9    Rockies    82-80    $1.58
10    Brewers    85-77    $1.61
11    Reds    79-83    $1.80
12    Twins    82-80    $1.80
13    Blue Jays    82-80    $1.84
14    Nationals    68-94    $1.87
15    Braves    84-78    $1.96
16    Royals    69-93    $2.01
17    Cardinals    86-76    $2.02
18    Giants    81-81    $2.08
19    Phillies    95-67    $2.25
20    Angels    91-71    $2.31
21    Dodgers    85-77    $2.36
22    Tigers    85-77    $2.56
23    White Sox    81-81    $2.63
24    Astros    73-89    $2.67
25    Orioles    67-95    $2.75
26    Red Sox    93-69    $2.76
27    Cubs    82-80    $2.95
28    Mariners    72-90    $3.05
29    Mets    81-81    $3.29
30    Yankees    96-66    $3.71

• Muthafuckin' Don!

LOL. Teams all build differently and we've only been going young for two seasons. When we're rebuilding we're-stocking the team and farm system and omitting all the crap that Bevasi left us with (draft picks+bad contracts) Taking ten years to rebuild with young players like your shit team did, that's when you know you suck as an organization. LMAO, ten years rebuilding with young players?  That's not really normal man..

Read my opening post, I'm in total agreement with you.  Ten years to rebuild a team is bullshit.  Nobody in Kansas City agrees with that except the owner and GM, because the owner was making money.

But regardless that 10 years is now over.  And now I can finally say that some other teams actually suck more than the Royals do.  And that team is the Mariners.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Table 1A: Marginal Payroll per Marginal Win, 2007-11
Rk    Team (2007-2011)    Avg. W-L    Marginal $/Win
1    Marlins    79-83    $0.78
2    Rays    86-76    $0.88
3    Padres    78-84    $1.16
4    Diamondbacks    80-82    $1.41
5    Rangers    85-77    $1.47
6    Athletics    76-86    $1.52
7    Pirates    65-97    $1.53
8    Indians    78-84    $1.57
9    Rockies    82-80    $1.58
10    Brewers    85-77    $1.61
11    Reds    79-83    $1.80
12    Twins    82-80    $1.80
13    Blue Jays    82-80    $1.84
14    Nationals    68-94    $1.87
15    Braves    84-78    $1.96
16    Royals    69-93    $2.01
17    Cardinals    86-76    $2.02
18    Giants    81-81    $2.08
19    Phillies    95-67    $2.25
20    Angels    91-71    $2.31
21    Dodgers    85-77    $2.36
22    Tigers    85-77    $2.56
23    White Sox    81-81    $2.63
24    Astros    73-89    $2.67
25    Orioles    67-95    $2.75
26    Red Sox    93-69    $2.76
27    Cubs    82-80    $2.95
28    Mariners    72-90    $3.05
29    Mets    81-81    $3.29
30    Yankees    96-66    $3.71

Am I retarded because I can't make sense of this chart

Your favorite posters favorite poster

It was only a 10 year plan because for a number of years, you guys were one of the worst run franchises in sports.  Instead of drafting the best talent available the Royals took the cheap route.  And instead of investing in the draft your owner green lit horrible signings like Jose Guillen.  The Royals fortunes didn't change until they actually started spending on the draft.  All that said I like what the Royals are doing and hopefully the kids live up to the potential because the fans deserve it.  But I don't see them contending this year.  But the division is weak outside of the Tigers so I see them having their first winning season in what seems to be forever.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
It was only a 10 year plan because for a number of years, you guys were one of the worst run franchises in sports.  Instead of drafting the best talent available the Royals took the cheap route.  And instead of investing in the draft your owner green lit horrible signings like Jose Guillen.  The Royals fortunes didn't change until they actually started spending on the draft.  All that said I like what the Royals are doing and hopefully the kids live up to the potential because the fans deserve it.  But I don't see them contending this year.  But the division is weak outside of the Tigers so I see them having their first winning season in what seems to be forever.

Spot on.   It's cool to see people from other cities that are up on the Royals...

Yeah, part of the problem was that for many years they didn't want to pay for those high round draft picks.  Then finally that changed.  But it really was a 10 year plan.  In fact, I think our GM actually said something to that affect.  Don't know exactly how it came out, I will have to look it up, but all the big time bloggers around here refer to it.

Remedy360

Read my opening post, I'm in total agreement with you.  Ten years to rebuild a team is bullshit.  Nobody in Kansas City agrees with that except the owner and GM, because the owner was making money.

But regardless that 10 years is now over.  And now I can finally say that some other teams actually suck more than the Royals do.  And that team is the Mariners.

Ok, I see what you're saying. But there's no need to hate on the most hated market (Northwest). And we'll see who has the better record at the end of this year (I don't know shit about the Royals).

Javii

• 'G'
The Royals are the team that had no shot of winning anything, but insisted in giving Guillen and Meche multiple year contracts as if they're a big market team.  Even big market teams should be fucking criticized for signing those players.  My fucking Dodgers signed Harang and Capuano, and we were on a strict budget. 

• Muthafuckin' Don!

Ok, I see what you're saying. But there's no need to hate on the most hated market (Northwest). And we'll see who has the better record at the end of this year (I don't know shit about the Royals).

Part of the fun of the Royals moving up in the world is that there are now actually teams that are worse than the Royals.  So I have to have my fun talking shit on those few teams.  The Royals play the Mariners often throughout the year, and the only player I ever remember hurting us from you guys is the Japanese lead-off hitter Suzuki. That guy is awesome.  Other than that I remember the Mariners being pretty weak.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 09:46:52 PM by Infinite- African West Coastin' 2010 »