Author Topic: RED ALERT! RED ALERT! the west coast needs new talent DANGER! DANGER!  (Read 341 times)

Quadruple OG

Re:RED ALERT! RED ALERT! the west coast needs new talent DANGER! DANGER!
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2003, 08:15:04 PM »
here's my theory on why the west coast doesn't get any props, and the big reason is MTV.  I'm going to catch a lot of shit for this, but I'ma say this anyway:

Outside of Snoop and Dre, MTV doesn't think the westcoast has any talented rappers.

If they thought the west coast had talent, they'd play the videos and have them on Direct Effect or MTV2 Hip-Hop.  My proof comes from their shows.  On their shows, they play a LOT of west coast instrumentals.  I've heard:

"Multiply", "The Streets", "Lookin at you", "Muzik", "Where I wanna be", "We be puttin it down", "Put it on me", "Get your walk on", "We can freak it", shit, I've even heard "So Damn hood" once on there.  

WC is the prime ewxample.  He's on the biggest hip-hop label in the industry, and Def Jam put in some effort to get him to sell, gettin him interviews in magazines, ads, reviews, maybe a tv appearance on BET, but MTV never played "The Streets", and look at how much he's flopped.  MTV knows the westcoast is stale, and MTV is awaiting "The Next Big Thing" so they can jump on it and exploit it and claim they made an artist.  And MTV feels that right now, the west coast hasn't changed.  This is the only thing I agree with, is that the west coast hasn't changed in 5 years.  When someone comes along and adds something interesting to the "bitches, weed, pussy, gangbanging" formula of the west coast, then the floodgates will open.

Xzibit could have been the guy to lead the new westcoast, however, by alligning himself with Dre in 1998, he set back the west coast 5 years.  Crooked I is the one, whether you like it or not, who will put the west coast back on the map, because of the situation at Tha Row.  New producers + new MC's = New Sound.  The West Coast Revolution that's bound to happen will mirror the one in 1992 when "The Chronic" dropped.

Cliftone_Santiago_909

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2003, 11:30:22 PM »
case # 1 .. "mr i dont listen to successful rappers"

their loss? you're making it sound like you wont touch anything that does have a video or a big name involved. this attitude really pisses me off (sorry its not just you but its been said along the same lines recently many times).

why cant u let people listen to what the fuck they want and stop telling them that listening to snoop/cube/dre/dpg/nwa or whoever they want is wrong?  who are u to tell people?

i'm tellin u.. u the one with the wrong attitude judging what people listening to and need to step back and think a second.

this shows is the exact problem i'm talkin about above. why cant some people see this attitude is causing half the damn problem ya'll moaning about in the first place.

Exactly... you try to help some people out and they make you seem like a hater...

1st of all.. I got all them Snoop Dogg, Ice Cube, Dre albums... shit I even got tha Eminem cd's...

I aint tellin them it's wrong to get those albums.. I encourage'em... but still.. I'm sayin if you like that, you might like this... if you like tha West Coast, here's some West Coast Shit you might not have heard about... It's dope... but usually, people will be like... "who is that? I've never heard of them or seen them on tv"... and they think... "it must not be that good"... and to me that's wack.

Now these same people... crying about why West Coast isn't big.. it just dont make sense to me. It's like they're not really West Coast fans... they're DPG/NWA fans.....and that's cool, but this is a WEST COAST FORUM... so you can't blame us when  we get a little upset that theres so many people sleepin on WEST COAST MUSIC on THIS board....

But you're right... who cares if they dont want to listen.. let them listen to whatever they want... dont do nothin for me... That's why I say it's their loss, not mines... I aint tha one missin out on all tha talent there is out here...

"These Bustas! Betta Recognize What's Commin'/ Dancin' On D's With Tha Alpine Bumpin'/ Ever Since A Child I Knew How To Live Foul/ Now I Bust Rhymes Like A Cool CRIMINAL" - King Tee

Don Seer

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2003, 01:01:38 AM »
yeah you gettin there...  but are they sleeping + missin out? what if people dont have the time or resources to check stuff out? hell you already admitted you think bootleggin doesnt hurt.. some others around here run around screaming about this and that and only get their shit from irc without every pulling out their wallets (someone, (who knows who he is i'm sure) recently said he aint bought a CD for two years). IMO thats not being a fan, its being a fuckin parasite. i check shit out when i can and i buy what i like and ditch the rest, its hard enough finding time to do that sometimes. myself i can post on the board from work everyday, but outside that i might not have time to listen to new stuff until maybe the weekend if i'm free.  its not my business what they're listening to, and its not my business to tell them what to listen to. and you're right, i do think this attitude is almost like haterism.. its almost some kind of snobbery with popular rappers at the bottom.

you're right about people being wary of stuff sometimes... but listen.. chop game and spread word on those you're interested in BUT dont get mad when 'its slept on' (or people dont have enough time). I often listen to stuff I know many people haven't heard of or wouldnt check out. most people dont know what I listen to half the time because I'm not running around telling people they're sleeping on shit and judging them or telling them they're wrong for not peeping something - arent they entitled to their own opinion? can't i listen to what i want? i get people everyday trying to make me listen to something when i'm trying to do something else.. dont trip on me if i say no, and dont think i'm sleepin.. i just aint got time right now.. ya feel me?

you made a really good point about guiding poeple in the right direction. because everyone here is at different levels in this,with different tastes and knowledge... some might be new to stuff others played out years ago. if someone kinda new gets given  load of "fuck dre blah blah" when they ask a question that pisses me off. its obvious the bigger artists are going to be discussed more because more often than not they're the conduit that brings them here in the first place.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2003, 01:02:18 AM by o v e r s e e r »

budsmokeronly

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2003, 01:29:19 AM »
yeah lotta good points seer, I feel ya on a lot of that.  I personally just try and get people to have a more open mind to what is out there.  I admit I have a pretty closed mind to rap outside of the westcoast.  95% of the rap music that I own and play is westcoast.  Not that I hate on the other places, I just don't like it as much.  I do give other shit a chance and I check some of it out, and I may like it, but when it comes down to it, I would just rather bump that westcoast shit.  I got so many cd's of wc rap that I barely even have listened to much, cause there is so much out there.  I have tons of wc music to keep me satisfied for years, and a lot to catch up on.  It is just frustrating to me how people say the west is dead, or its in a slump, or its got nothing new, but it does.  all those artists that that one dude listed, plus I could name hella more.  I would say the commercial part of the wc scene is dead for sure.  commercial scene is worked, not too good anymore, and nothing too mindblowing or classic.  but damn the underground has been pretty  poppin for years.  there is hella albums always comming out, and their is some really dope shit, much better than this commercialized wc rap.  so if u really only listen to ice cube, dr. dre, snoop and dpg, 2pac, deathrow, then hell yeah I could see how u could say that the west is dead and needs new talent.  what the hell have any of those guys done in the last 5 years that was really amazing.  dre 2001, streets is a mutha, rr&gb, is about it.  I mean there were other albums that were good or great, but not amazing.  and if u go within the last 2 year nothing even really great has come out of those guys.  and the only way that the west is really gonna be popular again is if the commercial artists completely sell out and make crappy music, or if people spread the word of these underground cats so that people will see their talent.  and if a member of wcc won't even check out a recommended artist then who the hell will?  

Lil Jay

• Solution Of Prostitution
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2003, 11:19:04 AM »
you made a really good point about guiding poeple in the right direction. because everyone here is at different levels in this,with different tastes and knowledge... some might be new to stuff others played out years ago. if someone kinda new gets given  load of "fuck dre blah blah" when they ask a question that pisses me off. its obvious the bigger artists are going to be discussed more because more often than not they're the conduit that brings them here in the first place.

ok you made a good point there about ppl that are new to this, they wont understand why others say fuck snoop or fuck dre or whatever because they make/made great music, and if they are new to west coast rap music they sure as hell wont buy an underground album first, cause the big names are going to be discussed on the board and therefore their albums bought. but what pisses me off is when ignorant people talk out their ass and claim the west is dead and has no talent but those are the same people who dont even check for other rappers who may be more underground cause they dont get not airplay on radio/tv
www.dubcnn.com - west coast news network  |  www.westcoast2k.net - independent west coast hip hop network

Don Seer

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2003, 02:09:53 PM »
yeah thats true. west aint dead. its the same as ever, its just not POPular now... the people who were in it for fashion and whatnot are gone. it needs some time out... i dont even try to think if it will rise again or what... i just follow my own merry path.. sometimes its up to date.. sometimes its through the past.. spreading randomly in all directions searchin for what i like :)

Cliftone_Santiago_909

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2003, 06:04:15 PM »
yeah you gettin there...  but are they sleeping + missin out? what if people dont have the time or resources to check stuff out? hell you already admitted you think bootleggin doesnt hurt.. some others around here run around screaming about this and that and only get their shit from irc without every pulling out their wallets (someone, (who knows who he is i'm sure) recently said he aint bought a CD for two years). IMO thats not being a fan, its being a fuckin parasite. i check shit out when i can and i buy what i like and ditch the rest, its hard enough finding time to do that sometimes. myself i can post on the board from work everyday, but outside that i might not have time to listen to new stuff until maybe the weekend if i'm free.  its not my business what they're listening to, and its not my business to tell them what to listen to. and you're right, i do think this attitude is almost like haterism.. its almost some kind of snobbery with popular rappers at the bottom.

you're right about people being wary of stuff sometimes... but listen.. chop game and spread word on those you're interested in BUT dont get mad when 'its slept on' (or people dont have enough time). I often listen to stuff I know many people haven't heard of or wouldnt check out. most people dont know what I listen to half the time because I'm not running around telling people they're sleeping on shit and judging them or telling them they're wrong for not peeping something - arent they entitled to their own opinion? can't i listen to what i want? i get people everyday trying to make me listen to something when i'm trying to do something else.. dont trip on me if i say no, and dont think i'm sleepin.. i just aint got time right now.. ya feel me?

Yeah, If you're sleeping, you're missing out. I get what you're sayin about some people not having tha time to check stuff out... That's alright though...I aint tryna FORCE people to listen to my shit.. LOL... My whole thing is, I hate when poeple neglect artist MAINLY cuz they aint on TV or Radio or cuz no one else listens to them...

You said "Chop game and spread word about those you like but dont get mad it's slept on"... Aint that what I'm doing? Aint that what most this thread is about... If I do sound a lil irritated with people cuz they dont listen to what I listen to... it's only on this board, cuz it's WEST COAST and you know...  I expect people on here to be up what I'm on...

On tha Burning Cd's thing... I never said Burning Doesn't Hurt... It's hurts tha Industry like crazy... but I'm like Fuck The Industry... Look what they did to tha Radio... and I dont think you have to buy shit to be a fan... I mean, if you really like something, and you dont have the money... or have money but have other things to spend on (Whether it's Rent or Drugs).. if you're really like it, burn it.  Look at S.G.V.. I know that foo' doesn't buy cd's and burns a grip of shit... and he's more into this Rap shit than anyone on this board... I'm just sayin, whether you bought tha original or burnt it... doesn't change how much you like tha Rapper.

But you made me think when you said that about people being on Different Levels of this.. It's true... Some people aint on tha level we on... That People Under Tha Stairs Level.... they're just gettin to know tha DPG members... and I remember when I was like that so I guess you can't really blame'em... atleast they try.. :P
« Last Edit: February 05, 2003, 06:05:14 PM by Cliftone_Santiago_909 »

"These Bustas! Betta Recognize What's Commin'/ Dancin' On D's With Tha Alpine Bumpin'/ Ever Since A Child I Knew How To Live Foul/ Now I Bust Rhymes Like A Cool CRIMINAL" - King Tee

S.G.V.

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2003, 10:36:15 PM »

On tha Burning Cd's thing... I never said Burning Doesn't Hurt... It's hurts tha Industry like crazy... but I'm like Fuck The Industry... Look what they did to tha Radio... and I dont think you have to buy shit to be a fan... I mean, if you really like something, and you dont have the money... or have money but have other things to spend on (Whether it's Rent or Drugs).. if you're really like it, burn it.  Look at S.G.V.. I know that foo' doesn't buy cd's and burns a grip of shit... and he's more into this Rap shit than anyone on this board... I'm just sayin, whether you bought tha original or burnt it... doesn't change how much you like tha Rapper.
yea...burnin aint that bad...the artists dont get much anyway...they gotta go platinum just to see a few pennies...they get all the money from the advances...see ive started buyin cds...but cds i cant find nowhere to DL...hard to find shit...i dont got all the money in the world...i gotta good job...but i got bills...i got shit to pay first...if i can DL it why the fuck not...i own all of E-40s albums...but his new one...thats the only one ive DL'd cuz i didnt have money at the time...n when i get my shit together ill buy it...but other than that...i dont have a want to buy cds when i can get em free...