Author Topic: The current sound of Hip Hop and other genres  (Read 378 times)

BiggBoogaBiff

The current sound of Hip Hop and other genres
« on: April 13, 2012, 08:46:55 AM »
I like Hip Hop right now, I think it's in a stage where it's mixing up purity with diversity and quantity from all walks/ends of the hustle.  Everybody from the underground circuit and the mainstream circuit are connected thru the same world.  And no matter how sad it truly is how the radio and television markets actually is, it doesn't stop skip worthy artists of ALL styles from getting noticed (business aside, buzz or no buzz). 

The thing about Hip Hop is that it has everything, even tho the commercial market severely overall lacks balance of good taste and additional already in circuit outlets (ie.  additional radio stations and television channels).  They should really just play all sorts of videos that way it would make MORE people tune in and turn over and shut everybody the fuck up and broaden the market.  But I don't see a problem with playing a little bit of skandelous politics here and there.

As far as expanding it goes.  I think it should take a similar Indie Rock musical approach to it.  But it has to maintain its Gospel, Soul, Jazz, RnB, and Funk 'theology' (missing the word*).  It's missing it's original musical melodic components that other genres have other than the drums.  And it shouldn't be a clusterfuck of shit put together but A nice set of drum patterns usually mixed with heart felt melodic ballads and a "nice" voice with a good flow and command Rap or sometimes no drums but all of that. 

And don't get me wrong I'm not giving Indie Rock all of the fame here because for some reason and it's no bias here but the majority of most people outside of the Black North American can really keep a steady good flow/arrangement of GOOD and rhythmic addicting Melodies consistently and simultaneously but Blacks are notorious for being good at it and it that's just that.  A lot of Rock and Country has always had bad or boring concepts and patterns.  I mean some of them knock that shit straight outta tha galaxy but then there will be some wack ass melody with a guitar or synthesizer or drum machine thrown on top.  I'm over here trying to crank "Meet The Frownies" and right after the melody Scoope DeVille sampled most of it went to shit.  I must've liked about a third of it altogether. 

But Hip Hop doesn't always exercise that approach to Instrumentals, you'll hear it every now and then but it's kind of rare.  There's so much propaganda from the people and from the markets to CREATE and IMAGINE this kind of material.  Don't get it twisted, a fair amount of times BIB (Basic Is Best) but all we've seemed to focus on is turning up the volume (which honestly really is very important) and diversifying the various sub genres so much that theyre blending together.  I think Hip Hop is missing another sub genre.  A sub genre that incorporates soundscapes and influence in a new way.  Like The Roots mixed with Movie Scores, Drum Machines, and more PHATTER/THICKER bass guitars mixed with Dime Pieces that look like Devi Dev or a thicker Jennifer Hudson with Fantasia lips that sang in the Church or sung Solos in the church that have more diversity to them than just a Pop sound.

The sound of the era of today's younger veterans (Jeezy, Nas, X, Busta, Eminem) should be more Independently made.  I know why Busta Rhymes appears on somebody like Chris Brown's Pop single but I don't understand why his entire album should sound like it originated from there/that sound.  I'm not saying his does and I know Ca$h Money puts out waaay more quality musically than what they've been given credit for (Birdman really does have a some good songs in his catalog) but he's the premier example right now.  IMO, him and Juicy J kinda startled the game up with their moves.  You have to wonder, in time how will history play out?

RnB stopped getting great in the year 2000.  It's formulating better now in the sound commercially and at least from the random times I've been drove up on and handed out $5 for an RnB album from somebody I'd say that the grassroot feelings and sounds are coming back.  RnB's components aren't really contemporary, they're traditional like the Hooks in Hip Hop or Guitars in Country. 

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Re: The current sound of Hip Hop and other genres
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 10:14:20 AM »
The only sound I can really speak on is the one your mother makes when I'm on my pipe game.

Cavvy

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 10:36:33 AM »
what in the hell did I just read

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 05:09:48 PM »
i can say based off the shit i'm listening to hip hop is in great shape....remember hip hop ain't dead the radio is.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Darkwing Duck (The Reincarnation)

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 07:17:14 PM »
it almost felt like YN's old editor-leader in XXL Magazine

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 05:33:56 AM »
Never heard of YN

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 01:34:07 PM »
Rap right now is either great or terrible, depending on where u look.  When jay z is the all knowing veteran and consistent hit maker of the genre, things cant be that great overall, though. 
Money like Draymond Green.....yuuup

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 01:46:45 PM »
hip hop won't ever fall. you remember that.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2012, 02:46:00 PM »
Money like Draymond Green.....yuuup

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 05:11:24 PM »
hip hop won't ever fall. you remember that.

LOL
it won't. there are myriads of sound in hip hop(not rap) even today. i've been blessed to discover new shit that's quality and it has fully restored that high anticipation and deepened the love i have in my heart for hip hop as a culture. i know what this shit is and what it stand for and the foundation was built off of shit that was authentic.

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 10:31:08 AM »
I feel like albums as a whole should have more of a balance of more instrumentation and dialog, like in the "Leave You Alone" video.  They could've had a character (or Big Pimpin IMO) do a little interlude in the track over the beat.  More melodies and structures need to be implemented in the game subtlety.

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 11:15:11 AM »
I feel like albums as a whole should have more of a balance of more instrumentation and dialog, like in the "Leave You Alone" video.  They could've had a character (or Big Pimpin IMO) do a little interlude in the track over the beat.  More melodies and structures need to be implemented in the game subtlety.
there are some you just gotta look.

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 12:38:57 PM »
Oh I know they exist, there should just be more.  It should be a common practice and not just a trend.  Like I said ima fan of Hip Hop's simplicity, but it could use a little more innovation

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 12:58:34 PM »
Oh I know they exist, there should just be more.  It should be a common practice and not just a trend.  Like I said ima fan of Hip Hop's simplicity, but it could use a little more innovation
a lot of simplicity comes from the major label but it's the simple ass rapper who gets signed on some bullshit. a lotta underground hip hop is the best now. but me right now to cure my deep complex musical craving undun is my fix.

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 05:39:16 AM »
I don't think I could ever get a full fix.  I love this too much