Author Topic: How did "The Art of War" by Bone end up so "fucked up", 4 lack of better words?  (Read 378 times)

BiggBoogaBiff

*I may sound a little dramatic but u know i'm right*

I'm listening to the Originals (the Demo) http://www.mediafire.com/?o8z8lvxwn5n2oxq and i'm just in awe on how much they dropped the ball on some of these tracks.  not only is that (those) album too long the original version of the songs are just so much better.  I mean "Thug Luv" still cranks and some of the songs are kept tha same but damn they fucked up.

The only Double Album that should've ever been released is "All Eyez On Me", even tho "Book 2" isn't even in the same league as "Book 1" and should've been shorter or had 2 or 3 songs replaced on it.  I guess "Life After Death" isn't so bad either but even still u had to trim the fat

Anyways, Ruthless dropped the ball on this 1 too.  Obviously they gave us 1 album worth of Soul Food but back then you could easily get drowned out by the BS on that album.  It's not like today where the Consumer gets to pick and choose what they do and don't wanna hear but back then u had to listen to that shit front to back, especially if u had the Cassette.  It forced the Artists to be consistent with the music and have their own sound and vibe.  And nowadays it still exists but not like back then, things are a little more taylor-made than organic.  

I think this album had the potential to be better than "E. 1999 Eternal" or be it's equal in every sense of the word in a positive way.  They didn't fuck up everything becuz I'd be over exaggerating and hatin' on em if I did say that but some Artists/Execs/Whoever don't realize how much a change in 1 note or a single lyric or adlib can Make or Break a song...

"Friends"                                                                  "Handle The Vibe"
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Yb7JCFRGtSs" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Yb7JCFRGtSs</a>  <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/gOP4to3ZaXw&amp;feature=relmfu" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/gOP4to3ZaXw&amp;feature=relmfu</a>

I guess they didn't want their shit to sound dated or too rugged for Primetime (smh).  i'll never know
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 11:16:31 PM by Hollywood Bilderberg Group™ »

KrazySumwhat

I absolutely loved E.1999 yet for some reason AOW just didnt appeal to me. I think i slept on it though. i did eventually buy it YEARS later and i think it was a bit disappointing also.
 I never heard any of the original songs before the album was released though. hate when they change shit for the worse.

HighEyeCue

I think like with all double albums there were alot of throwaway tracks. Maybe this album had more than most but "Body Rott" was my jam 8)

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
seemed like that album was mostly showcasing krazy1e bone...he did most of the vocalizing and hook writing on there.

hes always been what id consider the brains behind the group.

BiggBoogaBiff

I rest my case

LAZY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
I like Art of War. Disc 1 i can play front to back, CD 2 has alot i skip through.

as for the pre release, i do remember listeneing to it a long time ago, but there wasnt too much differance so i deleted it. the songs  you posted sounded the same to me as on the album but in shitty quality...

SoCo

• 'G'
Ive always thought That pre release version of All Original sounds fan made especially with how bizzy bone's verse comes in at the end. If it is actually real that'd be dope cause this is my favorite song next to Body Rott on the album
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 04:11:16 PM by jsil5484 »

J. B A N A N A S

Bone needs to drop a new album where they pretend they never made it and are stuck in the good on some creepin on a come up shit.

Blood$

seemed like that album was mostly showcasing krazy1e bone...he did most of the vocalizing and hook writing on there.

hes always been what id consider the brains behind the group.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Nice thread... and I agree this would of been a classic album if it was just 1 disc.  Threadstarter is right, that All Eyez On Me is the only hip-hop album in history that truly deserved to be a double album.  All Eyez On Me has no filler tracks, no skits, and you can bump it beggining to end without skipping, disc 1 and 2.

Art Of War is still a great album though.  So many bangers.  DJ Uneek was still on top of his game with the production.  I think Bone lost a little bit of their chemistry, as it seemed on their two previous albums they were all just trading rhymes back and forth collaborating... While Art of War followed an all too predictable format of..

Bone member #1- 16
CHORUS
Bone member #2- 16
CHORUS
Bone member #3- 16
CHORUS
Bone member #4- 16

Still, ultimately it was a very solid effort, and in fact it exceeded my expectations, because I expected them to fall off after they had reached such hieghts with East 99, and even had platinum success on their own label with Mo Thugs.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Sccit

"Art of War" was a great album...i still remember coppin it the day it dropped. no doubt, it coulda been trimmed down 2 one album and woulda most likely been a classic. but i'm glad it dropped as a double-album, because even the filler tracks are better than anything comin out nowadays...it was the era of double albums and Bone came through with theirs. 

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
"Art of War" was a great album...i still remember coppin it the day it dropped. no doubt, it coulda been trimmed down 2 one album and woulda most likely been a classic. but i'm glad it dropped as a double-album, because even the filler tracks are better than anything comin out nowadays...it was the era of double albums and Bone came through with theirs. 

word.. and ultimately it was a good marketing strategy.  Making the project a double disc made it seem bigger and more important, allowing the album to stand out from it's competition. 
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

BiggBoogaBiff

NOW it sounds okay.  we're so used to some of the more polished sounds of Hip Hop that this album seems "normal".  and by normal i mean not so commercial even tho that's a subjective term

see i remember that era.  i remember BEFORE Davey D put out that article in the magazine (becuz I read it) about how "the shiny suit era" was in.  i remember reading that and saying to myself "damn, i knew i wasn't the only 1".  

*and damn, i always knew dubcc be changin posts sometimes.  i knew i changed what i said about "life after death" and i knew i changed "all original" to "aint nothin changed".  i fixed it now but i caught it
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 11:17:27 PM by Hollywood Bilderberg Group™ »