Author Topic: The REAL definition of a music producer  (Read 115 times)

Kaidy

The REAL definition of a music producer
« on: February 21, 2003, 11:29:46 AM »
This is for the people who were confused reading the Dr. Dre thread. This is a nice concise definition that explains it better than anyone here could, including me hehe

What Is A Producer
A record producer combines the roles of director and producer in the motion picture field. He or she is responsible for overseeing and bringing the creative product into tangible form (a recording), which means (a) being responsible for maximising the creative process (finding and selecting songs, deciding on arrangements, getting the right vocal sound, etc.), and (b) taking care of all the administration, such as booking studios, hiring musicians, staying within a budget, etc.

Taken from 'All You Need To Know About The Music Business' by Donald Passman. Great book for anyone who's serious about this music shit.

8)

Don Seer

Re:The REAL definition of a music producer
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2003, 11:49:00 AM »
;)

people get it twisted because often artists start out doing everything themselves and (even though they prolly sampling) they like to say.. well he didnt make that coz that aint him playing... yada yada yada...

Jome

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2003, 02:45:34 PM »
Where the Dre-haters at now ???

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2003, 03:21:51 PM »
lol i know i aint a dre hater, its jus weird seein a track produced by him n them all these ppl gettin credited for everythin, but like i said befo, if his gettin credited as producer, then his producer.

peace

bayballin420.com

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2003, 04:14:00 PM »
you just cant expect one person to do everthing lil thing on a cd. to me they are like a boss they do most of the work ... but its all good as long as he has tha last say

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2003, 04:17:50 PM »
yo i didnt know this befo, but i hear that neptunes play most of their own instruments.......damn thats pretty impressive like them or not, they a talented couple of niggaz

peace