Author Topic: Dr Dre & Warren G  (Read 1931 times)

Okka

Re: Dr Dre & Warren G
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2012, 07:40:24 AM »
Warren was working with Dre and the camp between I Want It All and Retutn of the Regulator. I always assumed it was a trowaway from that time. Maybe Warren even submitted shit for 2001 which got rejected.

According to Bad Azz, "The Watcher" is a Warren G beat.

Will_B

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2012, 11:09:25 AM »
Warren was working with Dre and the camp between I Want It All and Retutn of the Regulator. I always assumed it was a trowaway from that time. Maybe Warren even submitted shit for 2001 which got rejected.

I've wondered that myself actually

bouli77

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2012, 12:15:24 PM »
Warren was hanging out with Dre a lot in the last of the NWA days. No one knows what changed that; but Lets not act like Dre is the only one who stopped fuckin with G-Dubb, the entire DPG pretty much forgot about him. Even Nate didnt put him on his biggest solo album.

They produced magic together on "Through the Rain"...i just dont understand how it went to Phats Bossi and ended up on a low-budget soundtrack.

warren definitely did some stuff for the 2001 sessions, hence his picture in the booklet of the album (with bad azz, doc, nate, snoop, kurupt and countless other cats) and when asked about why it never appeared on the album he said "ask dre" lol, just like with let's play house.

Sccit

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2012, 02:01:57 PM »

usually, i'd believe it.. but that really sounds nothin like a warren beat.

Okka

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2012, 03:01:59 PM »

usually, i'd believe it.. but that really sounds nothin like a warren beat.

You can believe what you want. I really doubt that Bad Azz has a reason to lie about this shit.

They produced magic together on "Through the Rain"...i just dont understand how it went to Phats Bossi and ended up on a low-budget soundtrack.

Do you actually have the soundtrack? Have you seen the credits?

Will_B

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2012, 03:31:50 PM »
Do you actually have the soundtrack? Have you seen the credits?

Okka

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2012, 03:50:31 PM »
Thanks for postin' that, Will. What soundtrack is that?

Will_B

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2012, 04:13:12 PM »
Thanks for postin' that, Will. What soundtrack is that?

Uninvited Guest. The one that had CPO's 'Fleetwood Mac' on it

Okka

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2012, 04:45:33 PM »
Can you hook up the E-A-Ski song from the soundtrack?

Will_B

« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2012, 04:53:56 PM »

Okka

« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2012, 05:06:53 PM »
Thanks.

ironmike

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2012, 07:41:33 PM »
I think that dre never really was feeling warren as a artist.
Dre and suge i think both wanted snoop and nate on their team, and warren was sort of like, coming with the package as 213.
Warren was allowed to be involved in the early times of deathrow helping with the early projects like chronic and doggystyle,
 but they never had intention of signing him, and eventually told him to kick rocks.
And the really sad thing is that snoop never really tried to push dre and suge for warren to be signed,
as i think snoop also didnt really feel warren as an artist much either.

If you remember what snoop said before, he said before 2pac signed to deathrow, suge wasnt feeling pac,
and it was only after when snoop pushed suge to sign him, convincing him that he would be a dope addition to the team.
He obviously never did that for warren.
Even snoop said before that he thought all warren's albums were wack, except the "in the mid-nite hour" album which he said he liked.
It's no mystery that snoop never got warren to produce any beats for the 213 album, which doesnt make sense since he's the dj of the group.
Snoop also never used a warren beat on any of his solo albums since doggystyle, which he helped produce.

To be fair, warren is definately not a real emcee like snoop or kurupt. He cant freestyle, and he cant really write lyrics of his own besides some
really a-b-c style lyrics. Any lyrics of his that have substance or lyricism are written by ghost writers, or atleast helped him with his lyrics.
 He tends to used recycled verses when he features on other peoples tracks (He should never have recycled verses. It's like the worst thing ever)

On the other side, he has a dope voice, style and flow as a rapper, and is a real dope producer.
So what warren lacks with his emcee abilities, he makes up with his dope style of raps and his dope beats.
In other words he's a producer who can rap. Just like his step brother dre.
Dont understand why dre couldnt feel him and want to sign him, when dre's abilities as an artist are just the same as his step brother warren.

There was alot of rappers hanging around the deathrow camp which some got signed, but never got to release any music,
or just had a song of two on their soundtracks. Snoop and warren's friends; the twinz and lil half dead were hanging around deathrow
in the early years, but they ended up getting signed elsewhere (the twinz with gfunk/def jam, and lil half dead with priority),
and both released albums. You can see lil half dead and the twinz in dre's "lil ghetto boy" and "fuck with dre day" video clips.

Dre and suge made a big mistake not signing him as warren's first album supposedly sold 10 million worldwide.

In the end, it was most probably a better move for him to sign with def jam, because we got classic records like "regulate g funk era" ,
and "take a look over your shoulder" , while the lady of Rage got her album released on death row in 1997, and nate never had his album properly released.
And then there were countless other artists on deathrow who never released an album.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 08:02:57 PM by ironmike »

bouli77

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2012, 08:26:11 AM »
as i think snoop also didnt really feel warren as an artist much either.

maybe, same with the twinz and half dead actually, which are supposed to be snoop's best friends (especially half dead). snoop may have been jealous of warren's solo success. i mean snoop sold more with doggystyle and all but warren really hit home with regulate. that song alone makes him more of a household name than a lot of peeps in this rap game (not snoop though), such a popularity may have sparked snoop's remark on warren's career (like "stop asking me all these questions bout warren & daz like they're gods, they need to stop criticizing dre, their career are shitty). the only time snoop used warren for beats was for tha eastsidaz (big bang theory) and that wiz and snoop soundtrack.

To be fair, warren is definately not a real emcee like snoop or kurupt. He cant freestyle, and he cant really write lyrics of his own besides some
really a-b-c style lyrics. Any lyrics of his that have substance or lyricism are written by ghost writers, or atleast helped him with his lyrics.
 He tends to used recycled verses when he features on other peoples tracks (He should never have recycled verses. It's like the worst thing ever)

well he can freestyle, he's just not good at it, lol. he is garbage as a rapper but as you said he can make enjoyable songs and is a dope ass producer.

Dont understand why dre couldnt feel him and want to sign him, when dre's abilities as an artist are just the same as his step brother warren.

the difference with dre and warren is that dre wants everything to be perfect technically, so he's not gonna venture into writing songs knowing he's not a potent songwriter. warren's content with his style and rightfully so cause even though he's weak it makes his shit authentic whereas it makes dre's shit sound unauthentic. that being said Dre is much more exacting with his ghostwriters and that makes him spit much better than most of warren's verses.

dre may have been slightly embarassed by warren's style of raps lol. and he didn't want to think warren was signed because of their family ties.

to be faire he ain't the only one to do that, Snoop & Daz especially do that a lot. i agree with you though. it sucks.

There was alot of rappers hanging around the deathrow camp which some got signed, but never got to release any music,
or just had a song of two on their soundtracks. Snoop and warren's friends; the twinz and lil half dead were hanging around deathrow
in the early years, but they ended up getting signed elsewhere (the twinz with gfunk/def jam, and lil half dead with priority),
and both released albums. You can see lil half dead and the twinz in dre's "lil ghetto boy" and "fuck with dre day" video clips.

well foesum, the twinz and warren appear in a lot of these chronic / doggystyle videos (with others like big c style, joe cool etc.) but they were more like hanger-ons from snoop's entourage than potential death row signees.

Warren sure did the right thing by going with Def Jam, but even before that he was signed to John Singleton's music production company, and Chris Lighty snatched him from this deal. Suge got pissed when he saw that Warren was gonna blow and tried to block his shine by forbidding nate to show up to Warren's video shoot for Regulate but Chris Lighty earned Suge's respect by showing up in person to the Death Row offices on Larabee.

Warren would have never blown up on Death Row, he wouldn't even have reached Kurupt's status. timing is everything in rap, and Warren was right on time when they dropped Regulate.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2012, 10:55:17 AM »
Dre and suge made a big mistake not signing him as warren's first album supposedly sold 10 million worldwide.

I diagree. Warren is a dope producer and talent but he would have got lost in the shuffle over at Death Row. Instead of playing the waiting game at a label that was overstocked with people from the same circle as himself, he went over to another label that had really nobody from the West and cut a good deal for himself. His value was much higher to a label like Def Jam who needed what he was offering and could make him a priority than to Death Row, who would have made him just another part of the team.

Nepotisn is a sweet gig if you can get it but if you have the talent and drive, why wait around for other people to work with you? It's a double-edged sword here. If Dre brings Warren into make music, it's fucked up how Dre needs him to do the work for him. If he doesn't, it's fucked up how Dre don't help Warren out with some work. Warren G is a talented enough producer with plenty of connections to both established vets and newcomers trying to get their foot in the door that he can go out and make great music on its own. Warren G is plenty talented enough to not rely on being Dr. Dre's brother or Snoop's BFF to eat.

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2012, 10:58:37 AM »

I diagree. Warren is a dope producer and talent but he would have got lost in the shuffle over at Death Row. Instead of playing the waiting game at a label that was overstocked with people from the same circle as himself, he went over to another label that had really nobody from the West and cut a good deal for himself. His value was much higher to a label like Def Jam who needed what he was offering and could make him a priority than to Death Row, who would have made him just another part of the team.

Nepotisn is a sweet gig if you can get it but if you have the talent and drive, why wait around for other people to work with you? It's a double-edged sword here. If Dre brings Warren into make music, it's fucked up how Dre needs him to do the work for him. If he doesn't, it's fucked up how Dre don't help Warren out with some work. Warren G is a talented enough producer with plenty of connections to both established vets and newcomers trying to get their foot in the door that he can go out and make great music on its own. Warren G is plenty talented enough to not rely on being Dr. Dre's brother or Snoop's BFF to eat.
this.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.