Author Topic: Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid M.A.A.D City (Official Discussion)  (Read 10578 times)

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid M.A.A.D City (Official Discussion)
« Reply #180 on: October 24, 2012, 03:43:40 PM »
Thank you for seeing this albums pure dopeness. I don't see how people are comparing it to a mainstream album. It's far ahead lyrically of any act today. Guys like NIK comparing it to Wayne, Drake & Kanye. Foooooolish. So much more lyrical than them.

The actual content is more advanced, for sure, and the faster flow,
but it's the overall sound that sounds kinda regular mainstream...

Like the beats are mostly your regular drum machine/keyboard beats we normally get,
and the style he uses vocally isn't really anything in particular...

D-TalkX

« Reply #181 on: October 24, 2012, 03:46:52 PM »
Like I said, those who find this album "average" or "okay" or whatever are just defending their mid-90's roots & don't want the word "classic" being thrown around to a kid of the game. The idea of some "new school kid" getting the same praise people used to give those old school dudes, just turns them off to his music.

i think you read into it too much. there's people that just don't like kendrick's nerdiness, and that don't like his style while acknowledging the indisputable talent  and that just don't like the type of rap he's doing, with all the crazy hooks, the weird bridges and choruses. and there are people who expected a traditional rap album and didn't get that. ppl who think the kid got too much praise in the first place and are bothered by so much laudatory comments. there are multiple reasons not to call this album classic. i think it's too soon to judge anyway. but i don't have any expectation soundwise coming from the album, cause k dot is pretty unpredictable, i just hope he'll deliver as he did on section .80

Na, rest assured if this was a Tupac album after he said he's trying a "new direction", this would be considered in the highest regard.

Not true I'm dying for a solid new artist...was hoping it was this guy...he can spit but classic albums equal, flow, lyrics and beats....I find the beats boring as shit to the point I don't even want to listen....Too Kanye West-ish...he's a "new" artist perse...do you think he's sick? I personally find him annoying and highly overrated.

The reality is major labels control airplay...Media controls what the "population" hears. If you hear a song 50 times and compare it to something you've heard once, you're usually brain washed to pick the one you've heard 50 times because you know it. It's not hating, just different tastes....

Sorry guys I'm not a fan of this album but i'm trying to let it grow on me...I just need to wake up first. I'm a West Coast fan and it's what I like...There's not much of it left so when a "West Coast" artist is broken by Dr. Dre we all get excited but the reality is we are a very small percentage of the music population. Kendrick's album will do well because all genre lovers will like it, embrace it or accept it.

It's just human nature. Old heads never want to see new heads come in & change shit.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #182 on: October 24, 2012, 03:55:50 PM »
Thank you for seeing this albums pure dopeness. I don't see how people are comparing it to a mainstream album. It's far ahead lyrically of any act today. Guys like NIK comparing it to Wayne, Drake & Kanye. Foooooolish. So much more lyrical than them.

Like the beats are mostly your regular drum machine/keyboard beats we normally get,

I get this is a West Coast forum & most of your guys favorite artists like Snoop, Eazy & DJ Quik had little to no lyrics at all & let beats that Snoop & Eazy didn't produce carry most of their legacy, but why would generic sounding, duplicates of "true, LA/Compton/G-Funk" sounding production make this album better?

It has a futuristic sound to it. In 2012, I'll take the first beat in "m.A.A.d City" over the beat that it switches two with Eiht.

Like I've been saying, you guys are too caught up in the fact it isn't true to the West Coast in terms of production. I'll be honest, I'm happy he went with this route & rode the beats that fit his style over having Dre try to recreate sounds he can't make anymore that sound generic as fuck for 15 songs. For once West Coast, listen to the lyrics & enjoy the man's rise & story over looking for an instrumental album to play in your car.

PLANT

« Reply #183 on: October 24, 2012, 04:02:05 PM »
to me, the beats on the album fit perfect for each song with the story he is trying to tell.  the beats allow kendricks story and message to shine, while still making the tracks sound good and the sound cohesive. 

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #184 on: October 24, 2012, 04:11:27 PM »

I get this is a West Coast forum & most of your guys favorite artists like Snoop, Eazy & DJ Quik had little to no lyrics at all & let beats that Snoop & Eazy didn't produce carry most of their legacy, but why would generic sounding, duplicates of "true, LA/Compton/G-Funk" sounding production make this album better?

It has a futuristic sound to it. In 2012, I'll take the first beat in "m.A.A.d City" over the beat that it switches two with Eiht.

I don't want g-funk beats, I agree they're played out...

But I think it's a reasonable thing to point out that the beats on this album are just general, mainstream
sounding beats...
The album is about the concept, that's cool, especially for people really into content, I understand why
they're going crazy over it...

But I think it's fair to say that it doesn't really sound "new" overall, it sounds like regular mainstream hip-hop
for the most part...

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #185 on: October 24, 2012, 04:30:10 PM »
I can understand a few songs having a mainstream sounding beat. But they weren't poppy-like. Like PLANT said, I think they fit the concept song for song. Then you got songs like "Money Trees" that don't really sound mainstream.

At the end of the day, Aftermath put the album out. Have to figure there is going to be some mainstream appeal. But certainly not forced like ANYONE else doing those kind of numbers in the game today.

KC-HOODSTA

« Reply #186 on: October 24, 2012, 04:34:34 PM »
I can understand a few songs having a mainstream sounding beat. But they weren't poppy-like. Like PLANT said, I think they fit the concept song for song. Then you got songs like "Money Trees" that don't really sound mainstream.

At the end of the day, Aftermath put the album out. Have to figure there is going to be some mainstream appeal. But certainly not forced like ANYONE else doing those kind of numbers in the game today.

the song with drake IMO is the worst song on the album and im a huge drake fan. he makes good music. but the song was kinda lame. fits the album concept tho. money trees with jay rock is a classic!

and i still havent seen anybody say this. but he completely took Logic's beat! obviously not the same exact song but EXACT same sample and the songs sound alike. im sure the producer or kendrick must have heard that beat "Addiction" for those who havent heard it.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #187 on: October 24, 2012, 04:36:08 PM »
That song is alright. I agree it's nothing special, but it came correct for the female-track appeal.

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #188 on: October 24, 2012, 05:47:37 PM »
its okay but this should've been more revised.  i think the 12 track max out was the best thing to do in this case for these songs (the 17, 18, 20 of them). 

its ight but its easy to see where the overall product could've turned out better

Sccit

« Reply #189 on: October 24, 2012, 05:54:23 PM »
go check siccness...most of them cats didnt even know the album dropped. it makes sense that hip-hop outlets outside of the west are hyping this release the hardest. thats because the sound is not west coast. hip-hop heads in cali are typically on a completely different sound. its a good album, but those calling it "classic" or "masterpiece" are doin too much.

I don't go to Siccness often because outside of a couple artists, I'm not much into the newer Bay Area stuff. Was the thread below the one you're referring to?

http://www.siccness.net/vb/f5/kendrick-lamar%92s-%93good-kid-m-d-city%94-good-but-not-classic-354417-2.html

Contrary to what you said, "most of them cats" was one or two people. The rest had heard the album and praised it in one form of another. I've said multiple times I can't call it a classic now, however I can't think of a West Coast Rap album that has dropped within the past few years that blew me away like this one after the first few listens. The two quotes below from Siccness sums up the problem many of the people on this board have with moving on.

Maybe you dont have to sound like every other west coast rapper/album? You gotta adjust to the times, that's why i fucks with Kendrick because he's different than most rappers, his flow is not even West Coast if you think about it, he actually touches on all regions from west to east and in between. I havent heard the album yet but heard most tracks, and if you're going to bring the west coast back, not like he said he was going to, but if you are, you gotta fuck with different producers and different rappers.

People wonder why Bay Area rap goes nowhere, because we're stuck in the same pool, no one goes to producers from different areas, its all the same producers which is why it sounds the same.

what you want him to do rap over zapp beats wile braggin about slangin dope with his red rag around his 40 ounce of OE and yelling fuck the police and everybody needs to bow down cause he from the mighty untouchable west coast?

more like

Quote from: lenbiasyayo;5827413
his beats suck and his alien voice thing is annoying

I never thought it was gonna be a classic anyway and haven't heard someone else called it "the return of the west coast" or whatever

IMO dope album. Kendrick is a good story teller and that is missing these days. Not saying its a classic. But it's as solid or better then anything regional or west coast that has dropped recently. Props on a solid album

the tone on most west coast forums are different...theyre calling it anywhere from dope to whack, where the overwhelming majority on most hip-hop sites are treating it as a masterpiece.
I get your point...Quit hatin homie, youre basically saying the same shit in over and over again youre trying to hard

Thank you. This kid needs to carry on with his life. He's caught up in defending the "West Coast sound" & not just enjoying the music. He's always had backhanded things to say about Kendrick though. For that exact reason. NIK's ringtone is still "Ain't Nothin' But A G Thang" & has an Eazy-E poster on his wall. Dude won't rest until he does everything in his power to convince whoever he can that this is NOT CLOSE to being on the level of anything his non-lyrical West Coast favorites from the 90's all because Kendrick is new school & has a more innovative sound than anything that's come out of the West Coast in over a decade.

#Nostalgia

Haha I was reading this thinking "Yo this dude is on point" then I scroll up and see it's the homie Cham coming through to crush the buildings 8).

This album has been given a XXL and a 9.5 on Pitchfork, it's Metacritic rating is right up there. This album will be hailed as a West Coast classic, album is being talked about by literally everyone, it's a moment in hip hop. I'm just gonna appreciate it cos I've been riding with Kendrick for a few years now and it's dope to see him living up to his potential without sacrificing his artistic integrity.

"Backseat Freestyle" is dope, really gives me that vibe of when I was a teen, freestyling drunk in the backseat of the homies car, cruising round up to bullshit or on the way to a party, he nailed the feeling. "Money Trees" is probably my favourite track at the moment though.

In my opinion, by the end of 2012 TDE could have arguably 3 of the top 5 albums this year

It's actually more lyrical than anything you can find on the West Coast aside from Crooked I & Murs.

Like I said, those who find this album "average" or "okay" or whatever are just defending their mid-90's roots & don't want the word "classic" being thrown around to a kid of the game. The idea of some "new school kid" getting the same praise people used to give those old school dudes, just turns them off to his music.

It's why the Coast has struggled for the last decade+. It's a reason why the Game got so much attention. Outside of the fact Aftermath lead him towards a mainstream sound, all he did was namedrop & praise legends. Nobody will ever amount to the 90's guys to some posters here. It's just the sickest case of nostoglia of all-time.

this is wrong...i really did listen to the album with an open mind, wanting to embrace Kendrick as the new king of the west. what I found was a good album, but too similar in sound to the top-40 radio and not enough regional authenticity to claim it the savior of the west coast, or a masterpiece. as an album, shit goes. it's cohesive and tells a good story. it's not even about g-funk beats or "zapp samples" like mufuckaz keep implyin. it just doesnt have a west coast sound, period. aside from that, kendrick almost seems like an emcee still tryna find his niche, if that makes any sense. sometimes he's andre3000, sometimes he's drake, sometimes he's wayne or kanye. of course, he's more lyrical than all current radio acts, which is why i said this album is nice. doesn't mean it doesn't have the same general SOUND.

also, not all west coast shit has to beon  some gangsta/g-funk shit, like cats keep implyin. there are tons of ways to capture a western sound without all the cliche shit yall keep talkin about. even a horrocore album can sound west coast (ala brotha lynch - coathanga strangla)....kendrick actually does have what it takes to make a classic album, i just feel he needs to tap a little deeper into his charisma and have dre more involved on a production tip (ala "m.a.a.d city", "the recipe") to bring us an album with the same cohesiveness and lyrical content, but more of a sound that will stick out as original and potential to be a staple sound of the west. he's like LeBron in Cleveland right now...just reached the Finals, the talk of the industry, hailed as the next golden child of hip-hop. he still has some work to do if he wants to create that definitive classic, though.

Javii

• 'G'
« Reply #190 on: October 24, 2012, 06:16:43 PM »
I prefer less Dr. Dre involvement.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #191 on: October 24, 2012, 06:27:51 PM »
Open-minded? You already admit to being close-minded by grading this album based off it's "West Coast vibe". It's a Hip Hop album, I rate it based off the genre...mostly because I listen to a wide variety of music. Like when "Life Is Good" came out I didn't sit there & wonder if it had a New York feel to it. It was just really good Hip Hop. This is just really good Hip Hop. I don't sit there & say, "Welllll, in comparison to other West Coast legends who also happen to be my favorite rappers of all-time.....this just doesn't sound the same". Bottom line, it doesn't matter how West Coast it sounds, artists don't get graded based off how much they stuck to the sound of their region.

Nothing you said really had anything to do with his music. Everything above this is just you comparing him to the 90's, which is my point. This album basically isn't "West Coast enough" for you, when to me I just compare to everything else put out, without a region or particular sound in mind. Then you want to compare him to other mainstream rappers when he's clearly more unique than them. Just because he did a song with Drake & it was for the ladies....hence the Drake feature, doesn't mean he's trying to be like Drake. He has his own sound.

Like I said, you've been saying things like "I don't see what the big deal is about him" for months now. No shocker when the album comes out you're the first to try your hardest to knock it off the pedestal.

MoodMuzik

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #192 on: October 24, 2012, 08:34:36 PM »
nobody should complain about poetic justice...it fits the concept, the songs about sherane

that janet sample was genius to use for the song...oh and drake KILLED that shit btw

MoodMuzik

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #193 on: October 24, 2012, 08:37:48 PM »
go check siccness...most of them cats didnt even know the album dropped. it makes sense that hip-hop outlets outside of the west are hyping this release the hardest. thats because the sound is not west coast. hip-hop heads in cali are typically on a completely different sound. its a good album, but those calling it "classic" or "masterpiece" are doin too much.

I don't go to Siccness often because outside of a couple artists, I'm not much into the newer Bay Area stuff. Was the thread below the one you're referring to?

http://www.siccness.net/vb/f5/kendrick-lamar%92s-%93good-kid-m-d-city%94-good-but-not-classic-354417-2.html

Contrary to what you said, "most of them cats" was one or two people. The rest had heard the album and praised it in one form of another. I've said multiple times I can't call it a classic now, however I can't think of a West Coast Rap album that has dropped within the past few years that blew me away like this one after the first few listens. The two quotes below from Siccness sums up the problem many of the people on this board have with moving on.

Maybe you dont have to sound like every other west coast rapper/album? You gotta adjust to the times, that's why i fucks with Kendrick because he's different than most rappers, his flow is not even West Coast if you think about it, he actually touches on all regions from west to east and in between. I havent heard the album yet but heard most tracks, and if you're going to bring the west coast back, not like he said he was going to, but if you are, you gotta fuck with different producers and different rappers.

People wonder why Bay Area rap goes nowhere, because we're stuck in the same pool, no one goes to producers from different areas, its all the same producers which is why it sounds the same.

what you want him to do rap over zapp beats wile braggin about slangin dope with his red rag around his 40 ounce of OE and yelling fuck the police and everybody needs to bow down cause he from the mighty untouchable west coast?

more like

I never thought it was gonna be a classic anyway and haven't heard someone else called it "the return of the west coast" or whatever

IMO dope album. Kendrick is a good story teller and that is missing these days. Not saying its a classic. But it's as solid or better then anything regional or west coast that has dropped recently. Props on a solid album

the tone on most west coast forums are different...theyre calling it anywhere from dope to whack, where the overwhelming majority on most hip-hop sites are treating it as a masterpiece.
I get your point...Quit hatin homie, youre basically saying the same shit in over and over again youre trying to hard

Thank you. This kid needs to carry on with his life. He's caught up in defending the "West Coast sound" & not just enjoying the music. He's always had backhanded things to say about Kendrick though. For that exact reason. NIK's ringtone is still "Ain't Nothin' But A G Thang" & has an Eazy-E poster on his wall. Dude won't rest until he does everything in his power to convince whoever he can that this is NOT CLOSE to being on the level of anything his non-lyrical West Coast favorites from the 90's all because Kendrick is new school & has a more innovative sound than anything that's come out of the West Coast in over a decade.

#Nostalgia

Haha I was reading this thinking "Yo this dude is on point" then I scroll up and see it's the homie Cham coming through to crush the buildings 8).

This album has been given a XXL and a 9.5 on Pitchfork, it's Metacritic rating is right up there. This album will be hailed as a West Coast classic, album is being talked about by literally everyone, it's a moment in hip hop. I'm just gonna appreciate it cos I've been riding with Kendrick for a few years now and it's dope to see him living up to his potential without sacrificing his artistic integrity.

"Backseat Freestyle" is dope, really gives me that vibe of when I was a teen, freestyling drunk in the backseat of the homies car, cruising round up to bullshit or on the way to a party, he nailed the feeling. "Money Trees" is probably my favourite track at the moment though.

In my opinion, by the end of 2012 TDE could have arguably 3 of the top 5 albums this year

It's actually more lyrical than anything you can find on the West Coast aside from Crooked I & Murs.

It's why the Coast has struggled for the last decade+. It's a reason why the Game got so much attention. Outside of the fact Aftermath lead him towards a mainstream sound, all he did was namedrop & praise legends. Nobody will ever amount to the 90's guys to some posters here. It's just the sickest case of nostoglia of all-time.

this is wrong...i really did listen to the album with an open mind, wanting to embrace Kendrick as the new king of the west. what I found was a good album, but too similar in sound to the top-40 radio and not enough regional authenticity to claim it the savior of the west coast, or a masterpiece. as an album, shit goes. it's cohesive and tells a good story. it's not even about g-funk beats or "zapp samples" like mufuckaz keep implyin. it just doesnt have a west coast sound, period. aside from that, kendrick almost seems like an emcee still tryna find his niche, if that makes any sense. sometimes he's andre3000, sometimes he's drake, sometimes he's wayne or kanye. of course, he's more lyrical than all current radio acts, which is why i said this album is nice. doesn't mean it doesn't have the same general SOUND.

also, not all west coast shit has to beon  some gangsta/g-funk shit, like cats keep implyin. there are tons of ways to capture a western sound without all the cliche shit yall keep talkin about. even a horrocore album can sound west coast (ala brotha lynch - coathanga strangla)....kendrick actually does have what it takes to make a classic album, i just feel he needs to tap a little deeper into his charisma and have dre more involved on a production tip (ala "m.a.a.d city", "the recipe") to bring us an album with the same cohesiveness and lyrical content, but more of a sound that will stick out as original and potential to be a staple sound of the west. he's like LeBron in Cleveland right now...just reached the Finals, the talk of the industry, hailed as the next golden child of hip-hop. he still has some work to do if he wants to create that definitive classic, though.
are you a fan of the documentary??

Sccit

« Reply #194 on: October 24, 2012, 10:48:39 PM »

more like

#Nostalgia

are you a fan of the documentary??

yes...but to me, "documentary" is a better album.