Author Topic: Mac Mall - The Rebellion Against All There Is... slept on or let down?  (Read 296 times)

Sccit

http://blog.weserious.com/?p=263

It was 1992 when bay area great, Mac Mall, joined super-producer Khayree’s Young Black Brotha Records to record the bay area essential and classic album known as “Illegal Business?”.. Fast forward 20 years to 2012 and the legendary duo re-unite to bring us “The Rebellion Against All There Is”. In an era where most things in hip-hop seem forced, it’s refreshing to find that there’s still music being produced within the genre developed through realism, as only fate could write this script…

Upon first listen, “The Rebellion Against All There Is” might seem a little bland.. skimming through the tracks wont do this one justice. When getting deeper into the content, production, and cohesiveness (2012 word of the year? LOL) of the album, it’s safe to say this one is a major sleeper. Mac Mall has always been great at carrying a message, but he’s never quite done it with the focus he presents on this one. Lyrically, he’s as sharp as he’s ever been. A lot of that focus may have to be attributed to perfectionist Khayree, who’s ego might’ve never been bigger. The production may not be traditional Khayree, but the signature sound remains. I’d go as far as saying some of the production can even get a little TOO complex at times, as Khayree shows off his production skills with numerous breakdowns, and layers upon layers.. but no one can deny, dude has an ear.

Overall, the legendary duo delivered a very well rounded album, with matured content, which tackles everything from governmental injustice, to love, to struggles within society, to (you guesed it)…mackin. The concept of the album remains prevalent throughout, which has pretty much been the theme of hip-hop in 2012. Mac Mall is simply tryna separate the lamb from the sheep, and it’s easy to see that a lot of effort went into the album, as Khayree was seemingly tryna build the 16th chapel on this one. Stand-out tracks are “The Rebellion Against All There Is”, “Izm”, “War Drum”, “Dre Mobbin”, “Round Here”, and “Country Ran By Thieves”. FINAL RATING: 7.5/10
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 01:23:33 PM by NIKCC »

bouli77

Re: Mac Mall - The Rebellion Against All There Is... slept on or let down?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 01:25:26 PM »
nice write-up, i'm a Mall fan but I grew tired of him over the years "rebellion against all there is" were major let downs for me even though it was nice to see RAY & Mall team up once again. gotta listen to it though, we never know.

Sccit

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 01:28:35 PM »
nice write-up, i'm a Mall fan but I grew tired of him over the years "rebellion against all there is" were major let downs for me even though it was nice to see RAY & Mall team up once again. gotta listen to it though, we never know.

u have to peep the whole album...it does seem like a let-down upon first listen, but it's the type of album that gets better the more u play it. u haven't checked it yet?

bouli77

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 02:17:43 PM »
nah i been sleepin on a lot of 2012 releases actually, need to check it soon

Sccit

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 05:47:37 PM »
nah i been sleepin on a lot of 2012 releases actually, need to check it soon

lemme know what u think..surprisingly, i haven't heard any opinions from some1 on this board who's heard the album. pretty strange, considering it's a mac mall+khayree reunion album.

MURDERGHOST

• 'G'
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 06:29:36 PM »
I plan on checking it out soon....

KrazySumwhat

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 08:36:55 PM »
 Only mac mall album i got is illegal buisness? 2000 so guess i slept on it to.

Sccit

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 08:41:25 PM »
Only mac mall album i got is illegal buisness? 2000 so guess i slept on it to.

illegal business? 2000 is a dope album...his first 2 are his best, though.

doggfather

https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Sccit

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 03:50:22 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/D0xg5mW6e8s" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/D0xg5mW6e8s</a>

Beats By dre

• Lil Geezy
  • Time eater
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 04:56:00 AM »
Was a long time i heard from him, still bangin these bay streets.

Sccit

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 11:52:21 AM »
not one person on this whole forum heard this album? are yall bein serious??