Author Topic: Mannie Fresh confirms joint album with Mos Def  (Read 657 times)

The_Ripper

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Mannie Fresh confirms joint album with Mos Def
« on: March 05, 2013, 03:50:21 AM »
What all Mannie Fresh fans have wanted since last summer is Mannie’s much-anticipated collaborative project with Yasiin Bey (Mos Def) titled OMFGOD.

“We actually mixing it right now,” said Fresh.

Mannie and Mos “decided to keep it simple” and therefore a feature-less 10-track release will soon be making its way to the public.

“We recorded way more than that,” clarified Mannie. “But rather than to [just] have somebody say like, ‘Oh, wow’ – I think a lot of times when you do that you throw away music. So, I just wanna give people like ten bangers and let’s be out.”

One of those bangers might be the head-nodding track heard, beginning at the 2:06 mark, in the “Act 3” promo video for OMFGOD sporting a sly sample of The Outfield’s classic 1986 Pop Rock ditty “(I Don’t Wanna Lose) Your Love.”

“Yes, he did record to it,” replied Fresh when asked if Yasiin tracked vocals for the irresistible instrumental. “Now if it’s gon’ make it, [I don’t know].

“Some of those songs, I feel like we should just throw [them] out there,” he continued. “I’m that dude that think of songs to sample that no cats would ever think of. That’s one of ‘em. And, given the response … I always read from bloggers what they checkin’ out, and people are like, ‘Dude, that song right there [is the one].’ But if it don’t [make the album], believe me, we gonna put it out. ‘Cause I mean, it would be a waste [if we didn’t].”

The rare ego-free producer, Mannie is a consummate collaborator (having worked with Bun B on his next solo project, and recently hit the lab with 2 Chainz, Ludacris and T.I.) who no one should be surprised by his blurring of regional lines to create the music he loves.

“Mos is a Hip Hop head, so it kinda came easy,” he explained of his experience working with the Brooklyn born emcee who recently relocated to the Big Easy. “And, by him being a Mannie Fresh fan, and me being his fan, it came real easy.

“And I think that’s the way the process should be,” he continued. “We should have fun. It was no stress; we didn’t have no budgets from nobody, we didn’t have nobody hanging over us, no A&Rs. It was just something that we decided to do.”

The two music business veterans have decided to take that carefree energy and flip the bird to the traditional release system by unleashing OMFGOD digitally on their own.

“We had a couple of offers,” Mannie noted of the label interest in the audacious album due to drop as soon as Yasiin’s film schedule frees up to promote the project. “But, [taking an offer], that just seemed like it would be defeating what we trying to I guess prove. And basically what we doing is saying we really don’t need the big machine.”  

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/vn1EyLeuehY" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/vn1EyLeuehY</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/CGrf9h85kYI" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/CGrf9h85kYI</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/gg9zdUhip0Q" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/gg9zdUhip0Q</a>
If you get in a fight, and somebody yells “worldstar”. You better fight for your life.

123imagee

Re: Mannie Fresh confirms joint album with Mos Def
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 11:31:29 AM »
These Dayz Everybody Works With Everybody.
But 10 Yrs. Ago YOU WOULD NEVER HEAR CASH MONEY AND RAWKUS COLLABORATE, BECAUSE IT WAS 2 DIFFERENT STYLES OF HIP-HOP

Blood$

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 11:43:53 AM »
so fucking random lol

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 12:26:09 PM »
But 10 Yrs. Ago YOU WOULD NEVER HEAR CASH MONEY AND RAWKUS COLLABORATE, BECAUSE IT WAS 2 DIFFERENT STYLES OF HIP-HOP
yup.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 05:12:51 PM »
rawkus > anything cash moeny has had since UNLV

Invincible

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 07:26:00 PM »
Mixing it but how long will we have to wait?

doggfather

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 02:37:29 AM »

right.
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

sofdark

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 08:48:36 AM »
I hope this sees the light of the day

Portugoal

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 08:46:37 AM »
As much as I love Mannie Fresh, I can't see this work... but man has surprised me before, so you never know know...

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 10:59:13 AM »
I can't picture these 2 together, the styles are so different. Mannie Fresh is a talented man so who knows, but this is right there with Eiht & Premier for me.

Any chance Birdman will sign Mos Def to stop this from happening?
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 03:12:28 PM »
As much as I love Mannie Fresh, I can't see this work... but man has surprised me before, so you never know know...
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

doggfather

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 01:27:28 AM »
so it's gonna be an entire album or just some tracks/half of the album???
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Fraxxx

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 02:25:59 AM »
Killer Mike and El-P worked so I'd give this a chance, too.
i don´t need any medicate shit im 100 normal.

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 02:06:23 PM »
t.i. and mannie fresh got great chemistry.  8)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2013, 01:32:59 PM »
I can't picture these 2 together, the styles are so different

Yeah.. back in the golden era of hip-hop dudes used to only make music with cats they truly vibed with.  Like Slick Rick says in the Show, "Sometimes when you mix this, with this, it just doesn't work".  Once cats like Puffy started the trend in 97' and rappers like Snoop followed, recording with anyone and everyone for money, quality soon suffered.  I don't agree with throwing two names together for publicity or experimentation.   But still I will check it out and maybe I will be proved wrong and it will be dope.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 01:36:04 PM by Infinite African Westcoastin 2012 and 13' »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)