Author Topic: so quik always says he produced whitney and janet...  (Read 2234 times)

Jimmy H.

Re: so quik always says he produced whitney and janet...
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2013, 05:25:05 PM »
You can call what you want but I still find it annoying when people think the producer is just the guy who made the beat.

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2013, 02:25:25 PM »
the lines between producing/mixing/engineering a record can get quite grey

i dont think any one here is really qualified to say who did what.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2013, 06:51:47 PM »
I've heard few stories of producers who wind up in a studio and don't know whether they are there to be the producer or the engineer. It's usually some guy on the production team who had a good idea or sound that the producer went with who suddenly thinks that means he's entitled to a larger credit. In the case of this scenario, Quik isn't even trying to claim credit for producing it. He's saying he had some sounds and Dre incorporated them into the record. If it's grey, it's because people are reading it that way. If the head chef incorporates some of his apprentice's flavors into the ingredients, it's still his recipe.

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2013, 08:55:28 PM »
I've heard few stories of producers who wind up in a studio and don't know whether they are there to be the producer or the engineer. It's usually some guy on the production team who had a good idea or sound that the producer went with who suddenly thinks that means he's entitled to a larger credit. In the case of this scenario, Quik isn't even trying to claim credit for producing it. He's saying he had some sounds and Dre incorporated them into the record. If it's grey, it's because people are reading it that way. If the head chef incorporates some of his apprentice's flavors into the ingredients, it's still his recipe.

lets say if my dude that raps is in the lab with me and he has an idea like, damn you should loop "such and such" and throw some hard drums on it and i do it and it sounds good im gonna give my dude co production credit.

to not give that man some kind of recognition is unprofessional. off topic but semi related niggas be actually submitting there beats to other producers which is imo the dumbest thing in the world...theres stories of dumb ass white kids from the netherlands who sent just blaze a beat loop and he turned it into a hit and that kids hopes and dreams are shit on by his hero lol

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2013, 11:02:47 PM »
niggas is gettin their jimmies rustled in this thread.

lol

sometimes when i read shit on this board i think of the character C-Czar from the Kroll Show

he on some enyce/white classic material sheit
Money like Draymond Green.....yuuup

jman91331

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2013, 02:26:43 AM »
C'mon these are drum sounds we are taking about here. Just because Dre used Quik's drum sounds (which probably originated from old samples anyway) doesn't in no way mean he produced or co-produced in the club. Produces trade drum sounds all the time. Hell most of Under the Influence was probably Dre drum sounds, like Quik said its what you do with them. Quilk even said on Flow for Sale that it was a old Dre drum track. Dre gave Eminiem a bunch of drums he didn't use anymore when Em started producing. Em and Kanye traded Drums when Kanye produced for D-12. The drum sounds on Kanye West's Stronger are Timbaland's. Producers do this with each other all the time folks.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2013, 10:04:54 AM »

lets say if my dude that raps is in the lab with me and he has an idea like, damn you should loop "such and such" and throw some hard drums on it and i do it and it sounds good im gonna give my dude co production credit.

to not give that man some kind of recognition is unprofessional. off topic but semi related niggas be actually submitting there beats to other producers which is imo the dumbest thing in the world...theres stories of dumb ass white kids from the netherlands who sent just blaze a beat loop and he turned it into a hit and that kids hopes and dreams are shit on by his hero lol
  Well, that's your prerogative but given the collaborative nature that goes into this kind of process, I probably wouldn't. Contributing ideas is not producing. You're talking about giving a pretty sizeable credit for a contribution that doesn't equal up to a large percentage of the finished record. In the end, this might be someone else's idea but the producer is responsible for making this guy's idea work. The people in the studio are supposed to be contributing ideas. The guy on the drum machine isn't just paid to play the drum patterns how they are orchestrated, he's also expected to draw on his own experiences to try and make the best record possible. However, that doesn't make him a "co-producer". The producer is ultimately the one who carries the weight of the decision-making process on his shoulders. This extends way beyond just being the one who conceptualizes or creates the instrumental for the track.

Matty

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2013, 10:35:09 AM »
so many replies yet exactly zero new information pertaining to the OP.

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2013, 11:42:13 AM »
puff daddys whole career as a producer and him getting the prestigious best hip hop producer of the 90s award frm the source who was the most respected hip hop pub. at that time is a great example of what were discussing here. the man never touched naan drum machine, keyboard or any of that.

yeah you can be a shrill of a prick and sponge everyones ideas which is clearly what dres done for years (he knows there will be another class of young dumb ass beat makers every few years) but im sorry if a guy picked your drums and your loop for you or something of that nature he co produced it fam. you on some record industry rule 4080 type of shit and i cant respect it. it breaks up camps and crews etc.

Sccit

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2013, 11:49:40 AM »
puff daddys whole career as a producer and him getting the prestigious best hip hop producer of the 90s award frm the source who was the most respected hip hop pub. at that time is a great example of what were discussing here. the man never touched naan drum machine, keyboard or any of that.

yeah you can be a shrill of a prick and sponge everyones ideas which is clearly what dres done for years (he knows there will be another class of young dumb ass beat makers every few years) but im sorry if a guy picked your drums and your loop for you or something of that nature he co produced it fam. you on some record industry rule 4080 type of shit and i cant respect it. it breaks up camps and crews etc.

To compare Dre and Puff is insane.. What Dre does goes far beyond producing. He crafts tracks to perfection. He's used co-producers like a muthafucka, but he's the composer holdin the stick on everything he touches

MOBNigga06

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2013, 09:11:38 PM »

We need to start a DJ Quik forum/fan site. Fuck these bitch ass niggas.
The most GAMED UP poster on DubCC.

Member of Bloods.

Money over Bitches.

Matty

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2013, 09:15:57 PM »

We need to start a DJ Quik forum/fan site. Fuck these bitch ass niggas.

there used to be one back in the day. i was on it before here...not sure what happened to it. i think a few of the people might still be about on here.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2013, 10:42:00 PM »
If the camp/crew doesn't respect the chain of command in the first place, it ain't much of a crew. If the guy who plays the fucking drums on your records is only getting credit for playing drums, why is the guy who throws out an idea about how they should be played suddenly a co-producer? There are too many fucking layers to an instrumental, which is in itself, not the entirety of a record, for anyone who has a contribution like that to be getting that much credit. It's not a record industry thing, it's true of just about any profession, you deal with.

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2013, 10:19:07 AM »
if your a drummer or a session player then thats your job is to do wtf the producer tells you to do so no i dont think in that situation he would get production credit.

huge difference between giving a guy a high hat or a cymbal and claiming the beat as dre has been said to then giving someone the whole idea of a beat, i know your smart enough to know that shit aint cool. either your a huge dre fan and are trying to justify his every business move or your an aspiring jew music executive or entertainer type of dude cuz that shit aint cool lol, like i got dudes that will hit me up like take _______ and loop it up over the dilla drums from q tips ride or some shit. if i do that i wouldnt claim i produced that solely when all i did is  help bring another mans ideas to fruition...that might be acceptable practice in the industry but its a shark move.

im looking at it from an artist stand point your looking at it from a lyor cohen/jimmy iovene type of standpoint

Jimmy H.

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2013, 10:52:42 AM »
im looking at it from an artist stand point your looking at it from a lyor cohen/jimmy iovene type of standpoint
No, not at all. If anything, you are looking at beat-making, the crafting of the instrumental, as the be all and end all of producing, and it just plainly is not. And this isn't about suggesting that it's okay to dick people out of their beats but once again, I'm not a fan of the misconception that the producer is simply the guy who makes the beat. If you're not overseeing the creation of the song from start to finish then you aren't producing.