Author Topic: so quik always says he produced whitney and janet...  (Read 2238 times)

Matty

so quik always says he produced whitney and janet...
« on: May 31, 2013, 12:51:59 PM »
and i don't doubt it, but what exactly did he do for them? i'm sure it must be some ghost production or something, cause as far as i can gather he mixed a record for whitney (fine) which is prod. raphael saadiq? maybe produced more by quik in reality, or both of them. janet though, there's a remix of 'all for you' and that's it? just a remix for a single, no new vocals. not something you'd normally be in the studio for. i always thought 'go deep' sounded like a heavily quik influenced track, but there must be something else he did.

anyone got any credits or insight into this?

bouli77

Re: so quik always says he produced whitney and janet...
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 12:58:19 PM »
i was in Scotland not too long ago and I picked up the Velvet Rope for £1 (#coolstorybro) and I was like god damn Go Deep really sounds like a Quik produced track, and my friend was like "there's no way it ain't produced by Quik" but it says produced by Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis which are Janet's all-time producers and among my favorite producers as well. they're very versatile considering what they've produced over their careers so I'm guessing they emulated what was trending at the time but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if Quik had a hand in creating it.

run-of-the-millian

• 'G'
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 01:05:03 PM »
Quik talks about working with Whitney here: http://www.vibe.com/photo-gallery/full-clip-dj-quik-breaks-down-his-catalogue-feat-jay-z-2pac-snoop-dogg-dr-dre-rakim?page=11

Based on that seems like they didn't do all that much together.

Sccit

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 05:13:57 PM »
yea "go deep" sounds like an imitation quik beat

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 06:39:20 PM »
jimmy jam and terry lewis are HIGHLY respected producers in my book

Spoonie Luv

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 07:11:24 PM »
and i don't doubt it, but what exactly did he do for them? i'm sure it must be some ghost production or something, cause as far as i can gather he mixed a record for whitney (fine) which is prod. raphael saadiq? maybe produced more by quik in reality, or both of them. janet though, there's a remix of 'all for you' and that's it? just a remix for a single, no new vocals. not something you'd normally be in the studio for. i always thought 'go deep' sounded like a heavily quik influenced track, but there must be something else he did.

why are you digging deep? if quik says he produced it then so be it. did you know quik produced In Da Club and mixed by Dre. who got all the credit?
Spoonie Luv From Up Above

Matty

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 07:35:25 PM »

why are you digging deep? if quik says he produced it then so be it. did you know quik produced In Da Club and mixed by Dre. who got all the credit?

produced what? the way he mentions doing stuff for whitney/janet makes it sound like a bit more than mixing and a remix. i'm interested if there's anything else for those artists, besdies what's credited.

as far as 'in da club', i know he spoke on how they were his sounds (and general aftermath ghost production), whether he 'produced' that track on the other hand...

Funkstradamus

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 09:05:23 PM »
this is the Whitney Houston song, Quik mixed it produced by  Rapheal Saddiq & Q-Tip:

and as far i know he only did a remix for Janet:

correct me if i'm wrong...

Jimmy H.

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 10:28:24 PM »
Quik did not produce "In Da Club", Dr. Dre did. Contributing sounds, instrumentation, or even the outline for the instrumental does not a producer make.

Sccit

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 01:02:36 AM »

Lol wtf kinda bs is this ?

Spoonie Luv

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2013, 04:34:32 AM »
But of an earlier studio session which Dre was in attendance that did yield a hit record, Quik reveals, “I had all these drums sounds that I knew were hot but wasn’t nobody checking for me at the time. I gave [Dre] those sounds. It’s not even the sounds, it’s about hot you use them and Dr Dre just had a crazy technique that day when he did that In Da Club” sh!t” [3:50] And of his unaccredited production work on the 50 Cent hit record which launched the now diamond selling status album Get Rich or Die Trying, Quik laughs, “I think my unaccredited production has furthered hip hop more so than my credited production.” [39:15]

The untold additive DJ Quik influence for numerous records extends well beyond just the In Da Club record. “Sometimes I’m humble to a fault to where I like to give other people credit for things that I did,” offers Quik while realizing, “I’ve always been a team player but the reality is that I have to accept that I took a lot of roads that nobody else took and blazed some trails that made a lot of sense. In looking at it that way, I think that my voice actually was heard and did make a difference.”

http://www.fastlifeshow.com/2012/02/quiks-breaks-down-the-responsibility-in-music-production/

Sccit

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2013, 08:30:51 AM »
But of an earlier studio session which Dre was in attendance that did yield a hit record, Quik reveals, “I had all these drums sounds that I knew were hot but wasn’t nobody checking for me at the time. I gave [Dre] those sounds. It’s not even the sounds, it’s about hot you use them and Dr Dre just had a crazy technique that day when he did that In Da Club” sh!t” [3:50] And of his unaccredited production work on the 50 Cent hit record which launched the now diamond selling status album Get Rich or Die Trying, Quik laughs, “I think my unaccredited production has furthered hip hop more so than my credited production.” [39:15]

The untold additive DJ Quik influence for numerous records extends well beyond just the In Da Club record. “Sometimes I’m humble to a fault to where I like to give other people credit for things that I did,” offers Quik while realizing, “I’ve always been a team player but the reality is that I have to accept that I took a lot of roads that nobody else took and blazed some trails that made a lot of sense. In looking at it that way, I think that my voice actually was heard and did make a difference.”

http://www.fastlifeshow.com/2012/02/quiks-breaks-down-the-responsibility-in-music-production/

it says he gave him drum sounds for it, not that he produced the song LOL

shit even says

"Dr Dre just had a crazy technique that day when he did that In Da Club” sh!t”

come on, now

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2013, 11:03:55 AM »
niggas is gettin their jimmies rustled in this thread.

Spoonie Luv

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2013, 11:25:54 AM »

I know right?  ;D

Sccit

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2013, 12:56:54 PM »

naah, peeps just tryna get shit right, then u always got the cats who offer nothin to the forum like 187 skillz comin in threads to spread lies. it aint upsetting, it's just dumb.

if u think "in da club" sounds like a quik beat then u dont deserve to post here.