Author Topic: why is shock g and DU so underrated and unnapreciated?  (Read 998 times)

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
why is shock g and DU so underrated and unnapreciated?
« on: August 27, 2013, 04:05:17 PM »
legends

Hack Wilson - real

Re: why is shock g and DU so underrated and unnapreciated?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 04:11:46 PM »
very true.  i think shock g was a bad leader when it came to promotion.  he turned down tons of commercials that would have made DU a lot more popular...money b said it pissed him off when shock turned down a Sprite ad without telling the rest of the group

Heinz

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 04:13:36 PM »
i walk real kool

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2013, 06:45:11 PM »
A lot of people from that era were underrated and unappreciated though, but they haven't made any noise in damn near 20 years.  They dropped an album here and there but it was nothing really on the scale of their past efforts  But they got to be in a motion picture... no matter how bad Nothing But Trouble was, it's not like a lot of mainstream movie companies or directors were reaching out to hip-hop acts at that time anyway to do any music for the soundtrack, let alone appear in the movie.

123imagee

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 01:18:46 AM »
very true.  i think shock g was a bad leader when it came to promotion.  he turned down tons of commercials that would have made DU a lot more popular...money b said it pissed him off when shock turned down a Sprite ad without telling the rest of the group

why did he turned the commercials down?

KrazySumwhat

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 02:56:53 AM »
 Have to admit back in the day i wasn't over big on Digital underground but i did later buy a couple of their albums and i do own Shock-g's solo album(fear of a mixed planet0 and its a really good album!
 I also saw them live a few years back. They rocked it!

Jack Trippa 3z company ho

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 10:57:23 AM »
Real talk...I'll flat out say Shock G was a genius. They have some classics but never got the props they deserve.

I'll saw Shock in concert at a hole in the wall about 10 years ago. Hella prolific on the keys, did a great Pac tribute as well.

Sccit

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 11:28:35 AM »
i went to kdays krush groove a couple years back and shock g was by far the best performer...and this was in a house fulla west coast legends- the line-up was ridiculous. alla that and he stood out as top dog, straight up. i grew up on digital underground, my pops bought "sex packets" when it first came out and i still slap that same copy.. sounds just as fresh as when i first heard it.

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 01:05:11 PM »
sex packets was an instant classic. dope concept album

Sccit

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 01:18:03 PM »
sex packets was an instant classic. dope concept album

No doubt

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 02:55:23 PM »
I always thought "Aregeno Flow" was an under-rated single from DU.  But, I have to admit I've actually never listened to one DU track that wasn't a single, lol

...wait, I take that back, I actually have the 96 album with "Aregano Flow" and I think I checked out some of the other tracks and wasn't feelin it.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Sccit

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 03:27:14 PM »
I always thought "Aregeno Flow" was an under-rated single from DU.  But, I have to admit I've actually never listened to one DU track that wasn't a single, lol

...wait, I take that back, I actually have the 96 album with "Aregano Flow" and I think I checked out some of the other tracks and wasn't feelin it.

U missin out

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 05:18:09 PM »

U missin out

probably
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Remedy360

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 05:27:05 PM »

U missin out

probably

He's right. Can't sleep on a classic group like that.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2013, 05:40:43 PM »

U missin out

probably

He's right. Can't sleep on a classic group like that.

yeah, i'd rather sleep on a bed of spikes than sleep on Digital Underground