Author Topic: where does mike dean fall into the greatest hip hop producers of all times list  (Read 1640 times)

bouli77

LMAO at your over the top response :)

I meant 'big name', as opposed to 'no name' producer. And I'm talking about to people who actually read the credits on albums aka music nerds

fair enough my lord

Mike Dean should not even be on any "greatest" list.  Unless it is a list for "greatest assholes" of rap music, for him joking about stealing reals and shit from Death Row.  Wish Suge would have beat his ass for that.  Who is Mike Dean to steal from Death Row?

that doesn't have to do anything with music, we're not judging artists' characters, it doesn't matter whether they're stand up guys or complete assholes, we're judging artists' contributions to a genre. Suge seems to be way more of a shady character than Mike Dean, based on the account of a lot of people, and Suge isn't a musician to begin with, I'm not gonna lose sleep cause Mike Dean stole reels from him (reels of artists who were complicit of the stealing, i.e. Daz, so in a sense this isn't really stealing, that's like stealing a book that you wrote from a publisher) so I'm gonna quote you on that

This is what I hate in hip-hop these days.  That you have to "respect" someone on account of their "success".  That's the problem these days and that's why Jay-Z gets so much love because everyone "respects" him for how much money and success he's made.

This is art, is it not?  Are we not fans of the art?  If he is the CEO and a business major then I will respect him for his success as a business man.  But if you are a mutherfucking rap artist and your making shit that I don't feel then why do I have to respect you because of your "hustle".  This concept has fucked up hip-hop.

you said it yourself, are we not fans of the art ? why does it matter that Mike Dean is a thief if he's a dope ass producer. ? it ain't like rap music is full of stand up guys lol.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
He is in my top 10

HighEyeCue

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛

I meant 'big name', as opposed to 'no name' producer. And I'm talking about to people who actually read the credits on albums aka music nerds

fair enough my lord

Mike Dean should not even be on any "greatest" list.  Unless it is a list for "greatest assholes" of rap music, for him joking about stealing reals and shit from Death Row.  Wish Suge would have beat his ass for that.  Who is Mike Dean to steal from Death Row?

that doesn't have to do anything with music, we're not judging artists' characters, it doesn't matter whether they're stand up guys or complete assholes, we're judging artists' contributions to a genre. Suge seems to be way more of a shady character than Mike Dean, based on the account of a lot of people, and Suge isn't a musician to begin with, I'm not gonna lose sleep cause Mike Dean stole reels from him (reels of artists who were complicit of the stealing, i.e. Daz, so in a sense this isn't really stealing, that's like stealing a book that you wrote from a publisher) so I'm gonna quote you on that

This is what I hate in hip-hop these days.  That you have to "respect" someone on account of their "success".  That's the problem these days and that's why Jay-Z gets so much love because everyone "respects" him for how much money and success he's made.

This is art, is it not?  Are we not fans of the art?  If he is the CEO and a business major then I will respect him for his success as a business man.  But if you are a mutherfucking rap artist and your making shit that I don't feel then why do I have to respect you because of your "hustle".  This concept has fucked up hip-hop.

you said it yourself, are we not fans of the art ? why does it matter that Mike Dean is a thief if he's a dope ass producer. ? it ain't like rap music is full of stand up guys lol.

real shit if were judging rappers on the merit of their charachter it would be easy to pretty much lable dr dre a compete piece of shit along time ago.

absentee father? check
history of women beating comparable to chris brown? check

but does his ability to punch a bitch in the face or raise his sons have anything to do with his abilty to produce a hit? not really unless hes in jail for it. and thats not likely.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th

fair enough my lord

1rst off I don't consider Mike Dean as being dope, any damn way.

2nd of all, Suge would put his life on the line for his artists and he had their back to the fullest.  He cared about the music, and the culture, the lifestyle, and he was one of the greatest advocates for it.  By joking about stealing reals from Death Row Mike Dean has disgraced the legacy of West Coast hip-hop and I have zero respect for him and would love nothing more than to hear that Suge beat his ass for it.

As for daz, daz is actually dope, and daz helped build Death Row.  Still though, I don't agree with Daz stealing reels from Death Row, just like I don't agree with Suge beefing with Snoop and Dre.   But at the end of the day Suge and Daz are legends and Mike Dean is a parasite.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

bouli77

mike dean is more of a legend than daz, dude is more versatile, has a bigger catalogue and contributed to more classic work than Daz. he also has more longevity than Daz in terms of quality. and i'm a daz fan, i'm just being objective.

suge may have put his life on the line he still was a asshole to most people, including his artists. he fucked them with shitty contracts and over their publishing rights. he embezzled them and that's why Daz won 25 mil in court against him. he bailed 2pac out but that was for his own interest and even 2pac, who was the star signee on the label, wasn't getting paid what he was owed on Death Row so you can imagine the rest. not to mention how he was involved in the sam sneed beatdown and shit, by all accounts, suge doesn't sound like a class act, to say the least. now i don't really care about that because i don't idolize dude, nor do i demonize him, i'm just barely summing up what he's, among other things, known for.

you just seem mad at mike dean for other reasons than music, and you seem to sleep on his discography cause dude has shitloads of classics under his belt, starting with producing Scarface & 2pac's smile... i mean mike dean may not be a class act but he got shit done music wise and he's put a lot of work in music wise.

Sccit

U LOST ME ON HIM BEING MORE OF A LEGEND THAN DAZ

DAZ HAS PUT OUT AND BEEN A MAJOR PART OF CLASSIC ALBUMS...SO HAS MIKE DEAN, BUT DAZ HAS BEEN WAY MORE IN THE FOREFRONT WIT IT. DAZ IS MORE OF A LEGEND BASED ON "DOGG FOOD" ALONE.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
mike dean is more of a legend than daz

"2 of Amerikaz Most Wanted" >>>> Mike Dean's whole career 
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

bouli77

DAZ HAS PUT OUT AND BEEN A MAJOR PART OF CLASSIC ALBUMS...SO HAS MIKE DEAN, BUT DAZ HAS BEEN WAY MORE IN THE FOREFRONT WIT IT. DAZ IS MORE OF A LEGEND BASED ON "DOGG FOOD" ALONE.

you're talking in terms of visibility and reputation, i'm talking in terms of catalogue, longevity and actual productions. daz is a dope beatmaker (most of the time ghostproduced by soopafly or co produced by soopafly, ivan johnson, blaqthoven or mike dean), mike dean is a full fledged musician, engineer and producer and hence more versatile. i don't think we can rate daz higher just cause he produced dogg food, cause mike dean produced most of the Diary and the Untouchable (not to mention his involvement in shitloads of rap a lot albums which were greatly produced), and I love dogg food to death but i'd say the diary is more of a hip hop classic than dogg food even though dogg food is among my favorite albums. plus mike dean's prime has lasted longer than daz's

so, if we check the criteria

longevity : mike dean > daz
versatility : mike dean > daz
catalogue : mike dean > daz (mike dean has a lot more dope shit)
visibility : mike dean < daz
reputation : mike dean < daz (that's mainly cause daz reaped a lot of credit he didn't fully deserve though, how many people know soopafly co-produced all his songs an all eyez on me and that dre ghostproduced songs like what would you do, respect and so many others ?)
quality : mike dean = daz (i both love their music and i think both were craftsmen in classic, seminal records).

overall, imo, mike dean > daz, this might not be a popular idea round here but i explained my reasons

Sccit

you're talking in terms of visibility and reputation, i'm talking in terms of catalogue, longevity and actual productions. daz is a dope beatmaker (most of the time ghostproduced by soopafly or co produced by soopafly, ivan johnson, blaqthoven or mike dean), mike dean is a full fledged musician, engineer and producer and hence more versatile. i don't think we can rate daz higher just cause he produced dogg food, cause mike dean produced most of the Diary and the Untouchable (not to mention his involvement in shitloads of rap a lot albums which were greatly produced), and I love dogg food to death but i'd say the diary is more of a hip hop classic than dogg food even though dogg food is among my favorite albums. plus mike dean's prime has lasted longer than daz's

so, if we check the criteria

longevity : mike dean > daz
versatility : mike dean > daz
catalogue : mike dean > daz (mike dean has a lot more dope shit)
visibility : mike dean < daz
reputation : mike dean < daz (that's mainly cause daz reaped a lot of credit he didn't fully deserve though, how many people know soopafly co-produced all his songs an all eyez on me and that dre ghostproduced songs like what would you do, respect and so many others ?)
quality : mike dean = daz (i both love their music and i think both were craftsmen in classic, seminal records).

overall, imo, mike dean > daz, this might not be a popular idea round here but i explained my reasons

claims of ghost-production are retarded, cuz neither of us know who did what. daz could be a mini-dre for all we know..but i can tell u one thing for sure, daz played a major role in producing many classics. and on top of that, he not only produced "dogg food" but also rapped 50% of the album, which is a top 5 album in west coast rap history (and i'd rate it higher than "the diary", based on personal preference...both classics, tho)...that right there is more than enough to cement his legend. and thats without mentioning his solo career.

there are a lot of full fledged musicians out there who are more musical than daz, but still aint comin close to bein a legend. bein a legend doesnt always have to do with how good or skilled u are.. mufuckaz out there leading entire orchestras and dont even have a record deal.

mike dean is dope....but i dont think he's a legend. i think he's a great producer who produced great music. i think west coast rap would be a lot different without daz than dirty south rap would be without mike dean.

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
you mofos are crazy daz might have had a couple of seconds of fame but daz would trade in his doggystyle records charm for even a tenth of deans capabilities.

dean knows that studio from every angle from the engineering to the crafting of the beat to the mixing and mastering daz can hardly run a drum machine, daz cant even hook up the very equipment he uses lol. he knows shit about mixing and levels etc and these are all things hes admitted he pulled off a few slick records during the 90s because he had the dr staff to tighten it up but nothing daz does solo now has that signature sound which liets you know the sound you all love and jock isnt even daz's

yall wc heads be goin way over the top with your admiration for daz. hes litterally one of the luckiest ppl in the game. snoop left deathrow with out a dollar to his name and had to start from scratch with master p. daz said fuck dignity and loyalty lol im gonna ride this deathrow thing out for a while and see where it takes me. from what ive heard hes burnt most of the bridges hes crossed fromdre to suge and dean to jt the bigga figga hes the wc gucci mane.

nothing hes done post dillenger and gotty is worth a fuck and you know thats real talk.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 12:55:02 PM by Sir Petey »

Sccit

you mofos are crazy daz might have had a couple of seconds of fame but daz would trade in his doggystyle records charm for even a tenth of deans capabilities.

dean knows that studio from every angle from the engineering to the crafting of the beat to the mixing and mastering daz can hardly run a drum machine, daz cant even hook up the very equipment he uses lol. he knows shit about mixing and levels etc and these are all things hes admitted he pulled off a few slick records during the 90s because he had the dr staff to tighten it up but nothing daz does solo now has that signature sound which liets you know the sound you all love and jock isnt even daz's

yall wc heads be goin way over the top with your admiration for daz. hes litterally one of the luckiest ppl in the game. snoop left deathrow with out a dollar to his name and had to start from scratch with master p. daz said fuck dignity and loyalty lol im gonna ride this deathrow thing out for a while and see where it takes me. from what ive heard hes burnt most of the bridges hes crossed fromdre to suge and dean to jt the bigga figga hes the wc gucci mane.

nothing hes done post dillenger and gotty is worth a fuck and you know thats real talk.

UR HEAVILY UNDERRATING DAZ

post D&YG=This Is the Life I Lead, Who Ride Wit Us Compilations, I Got Love in These Streetz, D&YG2, Dogg Chit all went hard

MIKE DEAN IS MORE TALENTED, DAZ IS MORE LEGENDARY...WE CAN SIT HERE ALL DAY AND ARGUE WHO WAS BEHIND DAZ'S TOP-OF-THE-LINE PRODUCTIONS, BUT AT THE END OF THE DAY, DAZ WAS THE MAN CREDITED AND THOSE PRODUCTIONS STILL GOES ON HIS RESUME. EITHER WAY, DAZ WAS A SOUGHT AFTER NAME DURING THE HEIGHT OF THE WEST COAST, AND THE WORK HE'S DONE ON CLASSICS IS ENOUGH TO CONSIDER HIM A WEST COAST LEGEND....TO PLACE HIM IN THE SAME CATEGORY AS GUCCI MANE IS JUST WRONG, CUD

J. B A N A N A S

Mike Dean is top 10 for sure. Without him the melodic, bluesy guitars, pianos and organs we associate with a lot of southern hip hop wouldn't have been prevalent.

This is just off of wikipedia so it might not be as comprehensive as his overall career, but look at how many albums he contributed to listed here. The man is responsible for a lot of the funk that we associate with south and west coast style rap.

3-2 - Wicked Buddah Baby
    3X Krazy - Stackin' Chips
    5th Ward Boyz - Ghetto Dope
    5th Ward Boyz - Gangsta Funk
    5th Ward Boyz - Rated G
    A-G-2-A-Ke - Mil-Ticket
    Apawk - Awaken
    Big Mello - Wegonefunkwichamind
    Big Mike - Somethin' Serious
    Big Mike - Still Serious
    Big Syke - Big Syke
    Blac Monks - Secrets of the Hidden Temple
    Bushwick Bill - Little Big Man
    C-Bo - Enemy of the State
    Daz Dillinger - This Is The Life I Lead
    Devin the Dude - The Dude
    Devin the Dude - Just Tryin' ta Live
    Do or Die - Picture This
    Do or Die - Headz Or Tailz
    Tha Dogg Pound - Dillinger & Young Gotti
    E-40 - Grit & Grind
    Facemob - The Other Side Of The Law
    Ganksta N-I-P - Psychic Thoughts
    Ganksta N-I-P - Psychotic Genius
    Ganksta N-I-P - Interview with a Killa
    Geto Boys - The Resurrection
    Geto Boys - The Foundation
    G.O.O.D. Music - Cruel Summer
    Hussein Fatal - Fatal
    Jamal - Last Chance, No Breaks
    Jay-Z - Magna Carta... Holy Grail
    Juvenile - Reality Check
    Kanye West - Graduation
    Kanye West - 808's and Heartbreak
    Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
    Kanye West & Jay-Z - Watch the Throne
    Kanye West - Yeezus
    Kastro & E.D.I. - Blood Brothers
    Kid Cudi - Man On The Moon II: The Legend Of Mr. Rager
    King Tee - Thy Kingdom Come
    Menace Clan - Da Hood
    Mike Jones - The Voice
    Outlawz - Ride Wit Us Or Collide Wit Us
    Oz (soundtrack)
    Odd Squad - Fadanuf Fa Erybody!!
    Pimp C - Sweet James Jones Stories
    Pimp C - Pimpalation
    Scarface - Last of a Dying Breed
    Scarface - The Diary
    Scarface -The Untouchable
    Scarface - Made
    Scarface - The Fix
    Seagram - Souls on Ice
    Shyne - Godfather Buried Alive
    UGK - Too Hard to Swallow
    UGK - UGK 4 Life
    Willie D - I'm Goin' Out Lika Soldier
    Yukmouth - Thugged Out: The Albulation
    Yukmouth - Thug Lord: The New Testament
    Yukmouth - Godzilla
    Young Noble - Noble Justice
    Z-Ro - The Life of Joseph W. McVey
    Z-Ro - Let the Truth Be Told
    Z-Ro - I'm Still Livin'
    Z-Ro - Heroin

whoisthis

• Muthafuckin' OG

UR HEAVILY UNDERRATING DAZ

post D&YG=This Is the Life I Lead, Who Ride Wit Us Compilations, I Got Love in These Streetz, D&YG2, Dogg Chit all went hard

MIKE DEAN IS MORE TALENTED, DAZ IS MORE LEGENDARY...WE CAN SIT HERE ALL DAY AND ARGUE WHO WAS BEHIND DAZ'S TOP-OF-THE-LINE PRODUCTIONS, BUT AT THE END OF THE DAY, DAZ WAS THE MAN CREDITED AND THOSE PRODUCTIONS STILL GOES ON HIS RESUME. EITHER WAY, DAZ WAS A SOUGHT AFTER NAME DURING THE HEIGHT OF THE WEST COAST, AND THE WORK HE'S DONE ON CLASSICS IS ENOUGH TO CONSIDER HIM A WEST COAST LEGEND....TO PLACE HIM IN THE SAME CATEGORY AS GUCCI MANE IS JUST WRONG, CUD

That's up for debate. I think Daz has had his hand in quite a few top projects in Hip Hip history, but Mike Dean was a sound for an entire Region. Look at his catalog just from Rap-A-Lot.
Some Of What's On Rotation:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bqx3qc9oMmw" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Bqx3qc9oMmw</a><a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Iq8KghDEJNg" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Iq8KghDEJNg</a><a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/IKsU2FG5tQA" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/IKsU2FG5tQA</a><a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/MwjVHzBvurU" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/MwjVHzBvurU</a><a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/hcI56Q00yp8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/hcI56Q00yp8</a>

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
no matching him up with gucci is totally onpoint if u were at gangstaville you would understand more why. but in some ways thats not  a bad comparison. gucci pays out his own pocket for almost everything as does daz. i respect that. hes also in the passed been prone to going off on one (more then weed) and airing out wild shit and making up stories like stabbing suge in the neck with a screwdriver etc. and fucking rappers wives on line. i think guccis a southern legend so its not like me comparing these as a knock it just seems like one because you prolly dont fuk with gucci, im saying at one point daz was the gucci mane of this shit....talking super wreckless while churning out a shit ton of hitt or miss projects while concentrating on holding down their region.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 01:04:19 AM by Sir Petey »