Author Topic: where does mike dean fall into the greatest hip hop producers of all times list  (Read 1641 times)

Sccit

no matching him up with gucci is totally onpoint if u were at gangstaville you would understand more why. but in some ways thats not  a bad comparison. gucci pays out his own pocket for almost everything as does daz. i respect that. hes also in the passed been prone to going off on one (more then weed) and airing out wild shit and making up stories like stabbing suge in the neck with a screwdriver etc. and fucking rappers wives on line. i think guccis a southern legend so its not like me comparing these as a knock it just seems like one because you prolly dont fuk with gucci, im saying at one point daz was the gucci mane of this shit....talking super wreckless while churning out a shit ton of hitt or miss projects while concentrating on holding down their region.

MAYBE PERSONALITY-WISE, BUT RESUME-WISE, IT'S REALLY NOT A GOOD COMPARISON

DAZ HAS BEEN N INTEGRAL PART OF A GOOD PORTION OF THE QUALITY WEST COAST MUSIC IN THE 90S..DONT REALLY THINK I CAN SAY THE SAME FOR GUCCI

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
no matching him up with gucci is totally onpoint if u were at gangstaville you would understand more why. but in some ways thats not  a bad comparison. gucci pays out his own pocket for almost everything as does daz. i respect that. hes also in the passed been prone to going off on one (more then weed) and airing out wild shit and making up stories like stabbing suge in the neck with a screwdriver etc. and fucking rappers wives on line. i think guccis a southern legend so its not like me comparing these as a knock it just seems like one because you prolly dont fuk with gucci, im saying at one point daz was the gucci mane of this shit....talking super wreckless while churning out a shit ton of hitt or miss projects while concentrating on holding down their region.

DAZ HAS BEEN N INTEGRAL PART OF A GOOD PORTION OF THE QUALITY WEST COAST MUSIC IN THE 90S..DONT REALLY THINK I CAN SAY THE SAME FOR GUCCI

dont be an uncle rico...you gotta move with the times and understand as sad as this sounds to kids just now getting there cherry popped gucci is closest thing they have to pac. this is another generations golden age of hip hop believe it or not. as sad as it is.

why in the fuck would gucci be a part of the early 90s legacy dude was barely a teenager. has he been an integral part of the souths rise to prominance? hell yes.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 10:47:58 AM by Sir Petey »

Blood$

Daz and Gucci comparison is ON POINT... well said lol and that is no diss

Sccit

no matching him up with gucci is totally onpoint if u were at gangstaville you would understand more why. but in some ways thats not  a bad comparison. gucci pays out his own pocket for almost everything as does daz. i respect that. hes also in the passed been prone to going off on one (more then weed) and airing out wild shit and making up stories like stabbing suge in the neck with a screwdriver etc. and fucking rappers wives on line. i think guccis a southern legend so its not like me comparing these as a knock it just seems like one because you prolly dont fuk with gucci, im saying at one point daz was the gucci mane of this shit....talking super wreckless while churning out a shit ton of hitt or miss projects while concentrating on holding down their region.

dont be an uncle rico...you gotta move with the times and understand as sad as this sounds to kids just now getting there cherry popped gucci is closest thing they have to pac. this is another generations golden age of hip hop believe it or not. as sad as it is.

why in the fuck would gucci be a part of the early 90s legacy dude was barely a teenager. has he been an integral part of the souths rise to prominance? hell yes.

show me some quality work gucci has that is on par with or even anywhere close to daz's best work and i'll stop

not sayin there aint acts from this generation that can compare to daz in his prime....gucci just aint one of em

Blood$

musically you obviously can't compare the two but they've both put in equal work in the game as far as their catalogs go and they are exactly alike in terms of personality and how they handle "beef"

Gucci might even have more music out than Daz as a whole at this point, dude dropped 5 albums and 5 mixtapes this year alone

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
U LOST ME ON HIM BEING MORE OF A LEGEND THAN DAZ

DAZ HAS PUT OUT AND BEEN A MAJOR PART OF CLASSIC ALBUMS...SO HAS MIKE DEAN, BUT DAZ HAS BEEN WAY MORE IN THE FOREFRONT WIT IT. DAZ IS MORE OF A LEGEND BASED ON "DOGG FOOD" ALONE.

you're talking in terms of visibility and reputation, i'm talking in terms of catalogue, longevity and actual productions. daz is a dope beatmaker (most of the time ghostproduced by soopafly or co produced by soopafly, ivan johnson, blaqthoven or mike dean), mike dean is a full fledged musician, engineer and producer and hence more versatile. i don't think we can rate daz higher just cause he produced dogg food, cause mike dean produced most of the Diary and the Untouchable (not to mention his involvement in shitloads of rap a lot albums which were greatly produced), and I love dogg food to death but i'd say the diary is more of a hip hop classic than dogg food even though dogg food is among my favorite albums. plus mike dean's prime has lasted longer than daz's

so, if we check the criteria

longevity : mike dean > daz
versatility : mike dean > daz
catalogue : mike dean > daz (mike dean has a lot more dope shit)
visibility : mike dean < daz
reputation : mike dean < daz (that's mainly cause daz reaped a lot of credit he didn't fully deserve though, how many people know soopafly co-produced all his songs an all eyez on me and that dre ghostproduced songs like what would you do, respect and so many others ?)
quality : mike dean = daz (i both love their music and i think both were craftsmen in classic, seminal records).

overall, imo, mike dean > daz, this might not be a popular idea round here but i explained my reasons

claims of ghost-production are retarded, cuz neither of us know who did what. daz could be a mini-dre for all we know..but i can tell u one thing for sure, daz played a major role in producing many classics. and on top of that, he not only produced "dogg food" but also rapped 50% of the album, which is a top 5 album in west coast rap history (and i'd rate it higher than "the diary", based on personal preference...both classics, tho)...that right there is more than enough to cement his legend. and thats without mentioning his solo career.

there are a lot of full fledged musicians out there who are more musical than daz, but still aint comin close to bein a legend. bein a legend doesnt always have to do with how good or skilled u are.. mufuckaz out there leading entire orchestras and dont even have a record deal.

mike dean is dope....but i dont think he's a legend. i think he's a great producer who produced great music. i think west coast rap would be a lot different without daz than dirty south rap would be without mike dean.

bullshit!!!! daz has been fronting all these years this nigga cannot play keys or ANYTHING. he can barely scratch on the ones and twos i seen it before lol.

daz got his name by being in the right place at the right time. he walked in can am tracked a beat and told barney rubble and them niggas play it like this "hums baseline" then do it like this "points at soopafly to play keys" asks carl butch smalls to put some jingly percussion on it and it was close enough to the deathrow sound that once they had the ingineers work their magic on it etc it was enough for us to embrace it. it dont make songs like 21 jump street or playa patnas any worse but yall need to understand daz took credit on what was actually a big team effort.

...and guess where he learned that. its an effective way to get alot of music done at one time but the tiny nuances in a mike dean production make all the difference to me. when u hear the songs daz did on 2002 and compare them to raw where soopafly and dean and everyone had hands on you can tell he cant produce for shit. if he was really that good why hasnt he been able to keep his name out there on the production tip? he knew he should quit while he was ahead. all ive ever known daz to be able to do is pound out some decent drums and play a mean ass simple bassline on a keyboard

Sccit

whatever he did, whether u say he stole them beats or not, it stili goes on his resume n thats all we can really judge him on...u cant tell me how 2 win

Will_B

you mofos are crazy daz might have had a couple of seconds of fame but daz would trade in his doggystyle records charm for even a tenth of deans capabilities.

dean knows that studio from every angle from the engineering to the crafting of the beat to the mixing and mastering daz can hardly run a drum machine, daz cant even hook up the very equipment he uses lol. he knows shit about mixing and levels etc and these are all things hes admitted he pulled off a few slick records during the 90s because he had the dr staff to tighten it up but nothing daz does solo now has that signature sound which liets you know the sound you all love and jock isnt even daz's

yall wc heads be goin way over the top with your admiration for daz. hes litterally one of the luckiest ppl in the game. snoop left deathrow with out a dollar to his name and had to start from scratch with master p. daz said fuck dignity and loyalty lol im gonna ride this deathrow thing out for a while and see where it takes me. from what ive heard hes burnt most of the bridges hes crossed fromdre to suge and dean to jt the bigga figga hes the wc gucci mane.

nothing hes done post dillenger and gotty is worth a fuck and you know thats real talk.

WC heads go way over the top with their admiration for everything..

Don't mean Daz can't be a producer just like Dre. At the helm of a team. Daz had a signature sound and still has, just his team/instrument set/budget/studio has changed. Not saying his artists integrity ain't changed tho

I'll hook a vid a bit later with one of the musicians talking bout how Daz and Snoop made the magic happen back in the day

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
whatever he did, whether u say he stole them beats or not, it stili goes on his resume n thats all we can really judge him on...u cant tell me how 2 win

what is dazs signature sound...an amalgamation of what warren g and quik and dre was doing?

Sccit

what is dazs signature sound...an amalgamation of what warren g and quik and dre was doing?

exactly...a more gangsta version of that.

if u wanna know what signature daz sound is witout the co-production, check beats like "fresh" and "cwalk" by kurupt. simple, but effective.....cuts like "the ultimate come-up", thats signature daz. when i heard "my life" by TI, i could tell it was daz right off the bat....u gotta give credit where it's due mayn

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛

if u wanna know what signature daz sound is witout the co-production, check beats like "fresh" and "cwalk" by kurupt. simple, but effective.....cuts like "the ultimate come-up", thats signature daz. when i heard "my life" by TI, i could tell it was daz right off the bat....u gotta give credit where it's due mayn

my life id wager was more shorty b then daz....id put my last blunt on that as well as c walk being a soopafly production.

when its daz by himself it just dont sound like anything worth remembering. i feel shitty about it too....as a young buck i idolized his beats the first time i ever got studio access i was trying to lay down dazish beats with the moog synth and shit but as i got older i realized that sound was really more like the sound of the studio daz was working out of and the session players he had access too.

we both know his shit will NEVER in a million years sound as dynamic as it used to....unless you get barbey rubble and butch smalls n them in there its gonna be poop. everytime.

Sccit

my life id wager was more shorty b then daz....id put my last blunt on that as well as c walk being a soopafly production.

when its daz by himself it just dont sound like anything worth remembering. i feel shitty about it too....as a young buck i idolized his beats the first time i ever got studio access i was trying to lay down dazish beats with the moog synth and shit but as i got older i realized that sound was really more like the sound of the studio daz was working out of and the session players he had access too.

we both know his shit will NEVER in a million years sound as dynamic as it used to....unless you get barbey rubble and butch smalls n them in there its gonna be poop. everytime.

it'll never sound the same cuz he dont got that death row budget....million dollar equipment wit musicians out the ass on payroll..but when it comes down to it, daz do got a signature sound and theres a reason his name is on all those productions. he wasnt just sittin around watching soopafly like u makin it seem LOL... shit, one of the stigmas in west coast hip-hop back in the day was that he helped ghost-produced a good portion of "doggystyle"...while i do doubt that, i have no doubts that he did put in work on the production end. is he a musical genius? no...but to discredit his resume (whether u believe it's his work or not) is wrong. his biggest flaw is that a lot of his current productions  are emulations of that dirty south shit.. theyre not bad productions, but it's not the sound daz is best with. and he's producing less and less because theres really no need...nowadays, it's easier to just find a beat online from some random producer than it is to sit and make one. putting a project together without having to produce has to be 10 times easier than startin from scratch...i attribute that to laziness and lack of inspiration. but at the end of the day, gucci mane's resume ain't touchin daz's. if u take daz post "D&YG", you may have a case...but just the shit he did with death row, whether u think he was falsely credited or not, that shit is enough to make him a west coast legend.

Will_B

For u niggaz who don't believe Daz should get props

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/smfoebc6d9Q" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/smfoebc6d9Q</a>
Death Row stuff round 3:25

This is Wallie Waldman half of the headz here have never heard of

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/I7ElTKGjoJE" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/I7ElTKGjoJE</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/vpZGS3ZzBGw" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/vpZGS3ZzBGw</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/UMds7GTjBW4" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/UMds7GTjBW4</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/YEw7VCmQa10" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/YEw7VCmQa10</a>

Sccit

i personally like this version better

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/nPyEPO95fH4" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/nPyEPO95fH4</a>

one of my all-time r&b cuts

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛

it'll never sound the same cuz he dont got that death row budget....million dollar equipment wit musicians out the ass on payroll..

and this my friend, brings us back to our original point....dean can get that clean epic big money sound with minimal studio equipment and no one else in that room but him and the nigga rocking in the mic.