Author Topic: Who are you most and least favorite sports announcers/broadcasters?  (Read 380 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Favorites:

Marv Albert -  Seems like he did all the classic Jordan games back in the day
Hubie Brown - Intelligent.  Speaks X's and O's rather then all this chearleader "go get em boys, yeah, go team, play harder" crap.
Mike Fratello - for the same reasons as Hubie Brown
Kevin Harlan - Was the voice of the kansas City Chiefs and then kept moving up to be one of the big names in his field.  "Ohh Baby What A Play!"
Bob Costas -  He's been doing it since I was a kid and he still looks the exact same.  He will still be doing it 100 years from now

Worst:

Rex Hudler -  Wow.. this guy is a nightmare!  He's extremely personable and a "fun", "positive" guy, he also played professionally so somehow that justifies him having a job even when the guy can literally not complete a sentence without some sort of backtracking or an awkward pause, and his analysis would be excellent if it were comedy, yet sadly he is being serious.  Was fired by the Angels but of course the Royals picked him up to replace legend Frank White in the booth because Frank "wasn't positive enough", lol.

Pat Summerhall -  Nobody made big games more boring than Summerall did.  He called a game winning touchdown with about as much enthusiasm as a first quarter punt.

Joe Buck-  A lot like Summerall.  I don't know why this guy gets the big games.  But he shows zero excitement or enthusiasm.

Madden -  This guy was so over-rated.   Maybe it wasn't his fault, maybe it was Summerall's fault but these guys would call a play the same way whether it was a touch down or a 2 yard gain on first and 10. 

Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Sccit

Re: Who are you most and least favorite sports announcers/broadcasters?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 12:10:50 PM »
chick hearn is the greatest of all time, and no one even came close......

that said, my best are:

kevin harlan is the best of the national cats nowadays.. great passion for the game, never gets boring like mike breen

marv is a legend, but has gotten stale over the years.. still comes correct, tho

joel myers got the golden voice, knows the game very well. too bad the lakers let him go for goofy ass bill macdonald. i started watching hornet/pelican games because of him last year.

spero dedes shoulda been the heir to joel myers throne, but the knicks got him. he's got good passion for the game and great at painting pictures.

stu lantz is hilarious when describing the game, especially when he tries to re-enact what players woulda said. tension between him and his partner is always good for a laugh, as well. most of all, though, he truly understands basketball and is a teacher of the game.

hubie brown is the best x's and o's in the business

grant napear is very respectable as the kings play-by-play...loves his team and depicts the games with excellence and true passion

jerry reynolds same as above

ralph lawler is a legend and has that old school feel to his broadcasts, which is always nice

worst

doris burke because i hate bitches talking sports, and she sounds like she got a dick in her mouth when she talks

tommy heinson he sounds like a crackhead heckler, not a commentator. joke that this guy still has a job after how much he's embarrassed the celtic organization

mike rice blazers announcer, one of the worst in the league, and almost as big a homer as tommy heinson

mike barret see mike rice

sean elliot major homer, only has a job because he's a former nba player

austin carr the cavs announcer sounds like george wallace on crack and gets way too overexcited for his own team

matt devlin the raptors play-by-play announcer is just an idiot, flat out

stacey king, the bulls announcer, another horrible homer

there are actually too many whack announcer to name em all, but thats what i got off top

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 01:56:44 PM »
.  Glad you feel me on Kevin Harlan.  He's a hometown guy and is around KC a lot still, makes a lot of appearances here on local sportstalk radio.  He has it all as far as announcing goes, the voice, the passion, and does all his homework on upcoming games/teams so he is well prepared.

Ohh.. one guy I forgot is Phil Simms.  When it comes to doing their homework and being prepared to cover a game this guy takes his job very serious for a former player. 

Like Sccit said some of the former players just got their jobs because they are former players and have never worked a real job in their life, they don't want to put in the man hours to prepare before a game, and just want to act as sideline cheerleaders.

MistaNova

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 02:13:42 PM »
Best:
Vin Scully

Worst:
Hawk Harrelson

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 05:20:19 PM »
stu lantz is hilarious when describing the game, especially when he tries to re-enact what players woulda said.
LOL. That shit is always weird.

Remedy360

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 07:47:29 PM »
A few of my favorites

Dave Niehaus (late HOF broadcaster for the Mariners)
Kevin Calabro (Sonics commentator, still does games for ESPN radio and occasionally TV)
John Gruden
Phil Simms
Kevin Harlan
Marv Albert
Gus Johnson (Polarizing guy but I've always liked his enthusiasm)

Least favorite

Reggie Miller
Reggie Miller's sister (good god)
Madden
Tim Ryan
Half of the NBA's home-town commentators..complete homers. The Celtics color guy comes to mind specifically.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 10:58:38 AM »
Suzy Waldman on Yankees radio is hands down the worst in sports. Some nasally sounding Jew bag. The worst. Followed by Joe Buck and Chris Colinsworth.

Gruden is my favorite announcer by a longshot. I wish he would just learn the game of baseball and basketball so I could listen him year round.

I really fuck with Chris Webber when TNT gives him games. So knowledgable. So overlooked.

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 03:53:36 PM »
best

gruden
madden
summerall
c webb
marv albert
fratello
the celtics color guy is fucking hilarious but i wouldnt really call him a favorite
hubie brown

worst

joe buck
mike tirico
chris collinsworth
bob costas (enough with the lame democratic party line bullshit already)
Money like Draymond Green.....yuuup

Remedy360

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 04:28:01 PM »
Seems like everyone here hates Joe Buck except me lol, I've never thought dude was that bad.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 05:54:44 PM »
mike tirico

Really? He's a standard play by play guy to me. Nothing stands out, but nothing makes me want to throw the remote at the TV when he talks lol.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 06:23:39 PM »
Yeah.. CWebb does pretty well, and he gives the old school 90's perspective.    And certainly nothing wrong with Mike Tirico.  I mean, like you said, nothing spectacular but certainly nothing to throw the remote at.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 09:23:31 PM »
chick hearn is the greatest of all time, and no one even came close.

For me, the list begins and ends with Chick. I loved listening to him every game for years. I use to silence the national announcers and just play 710. Also Vin Scully. I am not a Dodgers fan, but Vin just sounds like baseball. When I watch baseball, I hear the game in his voice.

Currently, other that Marv, Harlan is nice, Gruden of course as a Raider fan, and I actually like Reggie Miller. I forget the old guy from college football, but I enjoy him. Bob Costas is another guy that I like.

I don't like, well most all other national guys, Joe Buck annoys me, and every time I go home I just don't like the guy calling Laker games. Stu is the only saving grace for listening to the games, but then again its hard to replace Chick.

Sccit

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 09:25:51 PM »
bill mcdonald isnt good, but still much better than most other local guys. dear lord, sometimes i regret getting nba league pass because of how bad they are