Author Topic: Your Personal 5 Most Memorable Moments Watching Sports As A Kid  (Read 683 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th

2. Iverson game 1, 2001 finals.

Yeah.. that was a great one.  The 76ers were clearly over-matched and Iverson certainly outdid himself on that one
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Some heart breakers, and some good times.

1. Watching Jim Abbott play for the first time. I was in awe of a one handed pitcher and many of us after he made his debut started to do the put the glove over our hand thing. I forgot if he won that game, but it was so cool.

2. Bo Jackson breaks his hip. I was in shock as my hero was carried off the field. They replayed the play over and over again. It was a sad moment, but not as sad as number 5.

3. Kurt Gibson's home run. This was before Jim Abbott made me an Angels fan. The whole Southern California went nuts. You'd think the Dodgers won after that, but it was just game 1. It was a moment that energizes the Dodgers past the heavily favored A's.

4. Lakers vs. Bulls, Magic vs. Air Jordan. This was pre His Airness days. I was very much going for the Lakers. Many at my school were pulling for Jordan and they had the shoes. The hype was crazy and when the Lakers won game 1 I was bragging about it at school. I took most the heat after the Bulls won. Many of those classmates are Laker fans today. Bandwagoners.

5. Magic came out HIV positive. I cried. It was the worst moment in sports for me. Magic was my hero, more so than Bo or Jim Abbott. For as long as I was alive, Magic was winning titles for the Lakers. To me no one could ever be better. The whole thing did introduce me to Arsenio and late night TV. But still, I'd rather have Magic play another 5 years and past the torch to Kobe while playing together and be HIV free.

I feel you man.. I can tell we are the same age.  And Kansas City was crying over the Bo Jackson injury as well.  He was an All-Star with the Royals, as you know.    As for Lakers and Bulls that was a lot of hype but I think honestly the Trailblazers were a better team that year.   A better memory of the Lakers for me is when Magic threw the ball into the backcourt to let the time run out in defeating the Trailblazers.  That was an impressive victory for the Lakers because Portland was so explosive that year.

• Muthafuckin' Don!

5. Magic came out HIV positive. I cried. It was the worst moment in sports for me. Magic was my hero, more so than Bo or Jim Abbott. For as long as I was alive, Magic was winning titles for the Lakers. To me no one could ever be better. The whole thing did introduce me to Arsenio and late night TV. But still, I'd rather have Magic play another 5 years and past the torch to Kobe while playing together and be HIV free.

WHAT    THE     FUCK

how is this a top 5 moment for u? LMFAO

I should of made myself more clear.  It is top 5 Most Memorable moments.  So the Johnson HIV thing certainly applies. 

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
Re: Your Personal 5 Most Memorable Moments Watching Sports As A Kid
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2013, 07:28:30 PM »

-Jordan hitting the buzzer beater against the Jazz.

you must not remember it that well.  It wasn't a buzzer beater
Buzzer beater, game winner. You know what I meant.

Sccit

WHAT    THE     FUCK

how is this a top 5 moment for u? LMFAO

I should of made myself more clear.  It is top 5 Most Memorable moments.  So the Johnson HIV thing certainly applies. 

u said "top 5 favorite", so i took it as something completely different

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside

1. Watching Jim Abbott play for the first time. I was in awe of a one handed pitcher and many of us after he made his debut started to do the put the glove over our hand thing. I forgot if he won that game, but it was so cool.

2. Bo Jackson breaks his hip. I was in shock as my hero was carried off the field. They replayed the play over and over again. It was a sad moment, but not as sad as number 5.

3. Kurt Gibson's home run. This was before Jim Abbott made me an Angels fan. The whole Southern California went nuts. You'd think the Dodgers won after that, but it was just game 1. It was a moment that energizes the Dodgers past the heavily favored A's.

4. Lakers vs. Bulls, Magic vs. Air Jordan. This was pre His Airness days. I was very much going for the Lakers. Many at my school were pulling for Jordan and they had the shoes. The hype was crazy and when the Lakers won game 1 I was bragging about it at school. I took most the heat after the Bulls won. Many of those classmates are Laker fans today. Bandwagoners.

I feel you man.. I can tell we are the same age.  And Kansas City was crying over the Bo Jackson injury as well.  He was an All-Star with the Royals, as you know.    As for Lakers and Bulls that was a lot of hype but I think honestly the Trailblazers were a better team that year.   A better memory of the Lakers for me is when Magic threw the ball into the backcourt to let the time run out in defeating the Trailblazers.  That was an impressive victory for the Lakers because Portland was so explosive that year.

In retrospect you might be right, but at the time it was all about Magic and Michael. Everyone was buzzing because it was MJ's time but Magic was standing in the way. People in California were going crazy. Many kids my age were Bulls fans, especially those that later would be bangwagon fans. It was the arguments on the playground. The Blazers might have been a better moment in retrospect, especially since we know what happened to Magic after that year. But for that moment, that time it dominated my friends talk for 2 weeks. It was just one of those match ups that got everyone talking.

Sccit

In retrospect you might be right, but at the time it was all about Magic and Michael. Everyone was buzzing because it was MJ's time but Magic was standing in the way. People in California were going crazy. Many kids my age were Bulls fans, especially those that later would be bangwagon fans. It was the arguments on the playground. The Blazers might have been a better moment in retrospect, especially since we know what happened to Magic after that year. But for that moment, that time it dominated my friends talk for 2 weeks. It was just one of those match ups that got everyone talking.

if it werent for the worthy injury, we woulda won it all that year

Mietek23

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2013, 09:24:19 AM »
1) Jordan willing the Bulls to victory over Jazz in Game 6 of 1998 Finals.

2) Ajax Amsterdam winning Champions League in 1995 (was a huge Ajax and soccer fan back then).

3) Andrew Golota loosing to Riddick Bowe TWICE in 1996 (one of the best fights in HW Boxing history).

4) Watching Dream Team in 1992 Barcelona's Olympic Games.

5) Brazil winning World Cup 1994 in United States (Romario was my favorite soccer player growing up).

IF'S DON'T EXISTS.

Sccit

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2013, 11:18:32 AM »
1) Jordan willing the Bulls to victory over Jazz in Game 6 of 1998 Finals.

2) Ajax Amsterdam winning Champions League in 1995 (was a huge Ajax and soccer fan back then).

3) Andrew Golota loosing to Riddick Bowe TWICE in 1996 (one of the best fights in HW Boxing history).

4) Watching Dream Team in 1992 Barcelona's Olympic Games.

5) Brazil winning World Cup 1994 in United States (Romario was my favorite soccer player growing up).

IF'S DON'T EXISTS.

sure they do

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside

I think though that it was fitting for Worthy to be out. It will forever leave that what if about Jordan's first title. The fact that the Blazers had a better team but the Lakers minus Worthy were able to win the series. The way things happened are just the way things happened. Each year you have that, but that year with Worthy out it put the focus more on Magic/Michael and everyone was eating it up. I don't remember too much conversation about Worthy not being there, especially when Jordan missed that buzzer beat in game 1. People were ready to give the Bulls the crown up until that shot. But yeah, it's something I'll always remember being 10. It was the first time I had to deal with bandwagon people, as people before were always Dodger or Laker fans. Then everyone was a Bulls fan who had on their purple and yellow Converse a couple years earlier.

DJ SUGAFREE QUIK

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2013, 03:53:08 AM »
1. AJ Duhe intercepting a pick 6 pass from the bastard jets & helping the dolphins win 14-0 in the afc championship game in early 83.  I was in 3rd grade then, 1st year watching nfl.  It felt it was avenging for me since the jets knocked out the raiders in the 1st round which pissed me the fuck off.  Had the jets won that, I probably woulda pulled for the redskins in the sb over the jets then & I hated the redskins the most from 82-88.  Steelers 2nd most then.

2.  The raiders beating the seahawks in the afc championship game.  1st raider home game I seen on tv cause they blackout all the time.  They haven't had another televised home game until 1991.  I'd still be ok with the seahawks being in the Sb at that time.  All I remember from that game was that a raider & seahawk player were fighting then. 

3.  The raiders avenging their regular season loss to the redskins by whupping them in the SB  ;D  Loved that beatdown & watching Marcus Allen do that long touchdown run.  And I guess the day after, I finally seen my brother[jaytee].  4 days old when the raiders last won their SB.

4.  Watching the cubs in the 84 playoffs cause I didn't feel well to be in school.  I do remember either my mother or grandmother asking me why they were playing so early.  I replied cause the cubs don't have lights in their stadium.  They won but not the series  :( 

5.  The 80's lakers[aka the real likable lakers] finally beating the celtics in the nba finals in 1985.  I do have some memory watching the game in the living room with other people. 

KrazySumwhat

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2013, 04:44:13 AM »
 All of mine are cricket and Australian football. Pretty much the Aussies winning world cups and the ashes, Adelaide football cup winning premiership cups.
 And i could pick fantastic moments like Shane Warne bowling people out with incredible spin bowling and classic catches , big hits in the cricket, or big speccy marks , big hits/bumps and fantastic goals in Aussie footy.
 I might post up some vids later. But iam guess you guys wouldn't be overly inserted in that?

Nutty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2013, 02:52:13 PM »
All of mine are cricket and Australian football. Pretty much the Aussies winning world cups and the ashes, Adelaide football cup winning premiership cups.
 And i could pick fantastic moments like Shane Warne bowling people out with incredible spin bowling and classic catches , big hits in the cricket, or big speccy marks , big hits/bumps and fantastic goals in Aussie footy.
 I might post up some vids later. But iam guess you guys wouldn't be overly inserted in that?

One recent memorable moment was when the kiwis beat australia to win their first rugby league world cup  :P