Author Topic: Your Personal 5 Most Memorable Moments Watching Sports As A Kid  (Read 681 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Your Personal 5 Most Memorable Moments Watching Sports As A Kid
« on: October 17, 2013, 08:04:10 PM »
Want to make a nostalgic post about sports.  Post your top 5 favorite childhood memories from watching sports as a kid.

1.   Michael Jordan beats the Pistons in the final seconds 1990-91.   This was during the first year that the Bulls won the championship.  I was watching the game and it was too late so my father told me I had to go to bed.  He came up after the game was over and told me someone missed a shot and all you could see was Jordan's hand above the rim throwing it down for the game winner.  The legend of Michael Jordan was born in my mind and the rest was history.

2.  Chiefs lose to the Dolphins in Miami wild card playoff game 1990-91.  This was the first year the Chiefs were a good team.  Marty had just taken over, the Chiefs went 11-5 and the whole city was rallying around them.  Everyone was talking about it at school, and on the school bus we used to do the Native American Indian chant the whole ride home.  I thought the Chiefs were unstoppable and would never lose.  They were up 16-3 going into the 4th and then Marino scored two touchdowns at the end to give Miami a 17-16 lead.  Nick Lowery missed a field goal at the end and that was the only time I ever remember crying because my team lost, lol.

3.  Montana beats the Oilers in Houston to take the Chiefs to the AFC Championship game.   Montana and Marcus Allen took the Chiefs the farthest they have ever gone in my lifetime.  Buddy Ryans defense was the talk of football that year.   I was over at a friends house and the Chiefs were losing all game.  We went outside to play a football game in the snow and when we came back in the Chiefs were kicking ass and had totally taken over the game.  They dominated the 4th quarter and Allen broke free to seal the victory with a long touchdown run at the end.

4.  Jordan championship game against the Trailblazers.  When he scored around 30 points in the first half and did the famous shoulder shrug.  

5.  Bills lose to the Giants in the Superbowl.  I loved the Buffalo Bills.  They were my favorite team after the Chiefs.  They were exciting to watch, with a dynamic offense, no huddle.   I remember that game as America was at war with Iraq and both teams had red, white and blue colors.   I was heartbroken when Scott Norwood missed that field goal.

Forgot to Mention:

Fransisco Cabrera's pinch hit RBI to score Sid Bream and beat the Pirates in game 7 of the NL playoffs early 90's!   8)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 06:21:55 PM by Infinite »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Sccit

-magic's return to the nba in 95...epic. didnt know the stint would be so short, but just watching him back out there was unreal

-robert horry hits epic game winner vs kings..nothin more needs to be said, one of the greatest game winner in nba history

-3rd championship of the laker 3peat.. felt like we were cruisin by then

-michael jordan over bryon russell...offensive foul, but still remember it like yesterday, like 2pac dying and 9/11

-kobe wins slam dunk contest..i remember i was as hyped for that dunk contest as i woulda been for a finals game back then

• Muthafuckin' Don!
-magic's return to the nba in 95...epic. didnt know the stint would be so short, but just watching him back out there was unreal

I remember that game against Golden State.  They had a horrible defense and he had like 19 points and showed some old flashes.  The fat Magic Johnson, lol.   Too bad the comeback was short and too bad assholes like Karl Malone made him ever retire in the first place.  

-robert horry hits epic game winner vs kings..nothin more needs to be said, one of the greatest game winner in nba history

Reminds me of the Nas cut from Hip-Hop Is Dead "Can't Forget About You"... "The shot Robert Horry Hit in the finals/kid!"

-kobe wins slam dunk contest..i remember i was as hyped for that dunk contest as i woulda been for a finals game back then

I think I remember that happening really early in his career.  Like maybe his rookie season.  I remember him then, he went to prom with Brandy and that was back when Moesha was big... the good ol days

...surprised you didn't mention the Shaq dunk against the Trailblazers in that comeback win.  That's in my top most memorable moments somewhere.  I was a big Scottie Pippen fan and had a math tutor my senior year who was like a Scottie Pippen fanatic.  We actually watched the game together and it was a crushing defeat
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 10:24:12 PM by Infinite »

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
-Robert Horry, Kings. Nuff said.
-Jordan hitting the buzzer beater against the Jazz.
-Bucs vs. Raiders in the Super Bowl. It was the first time I watched a Super Bowl while living in the US, so I got to really see all the hysteria around it. I remember thinking Rich Gannon was going to light up the Bucs in the second half. Boy was I wrong. Back in the days before I stared hating the Raiders.
-Vikings @ Chargers, 2003. The first year I lived in San Diego and the Chargers sucked. Midway through the season, Doug Flutie is named the starter and wins his first game. On one play he fumbled the ball, picked it up and ran it in for a touchdown. In the post game interview he said he did so good he couldn't even screw up properly. Of course the rest of the season is nothing to remember since they went 4-12 (3 of those games won by Flutie).
-Derek Fisher's 0.4 second shot. Went crazy when that happened. Especially since the Lakers started the series 0-2.

Sccit

I remember that game against Golden State.  They had a horrible defense and he had like 19 points and showed some old flashes.  The fat Magic Johnson, lol.   Too bad the comeback was short and too bad assholes like Karl Malone made him ever retire in the first place. 

Reminds me of the Nas cut from Hip-Hop Is Dead "Can't Forget About You"... "The shot Robert Horry Hit in the finals/kid!"

I think I remember that happening really early in his career.  Like maybe his rookie season.  I remember him then, he went to prom with Brandy and that was back when Moesha was big... the good ol days

...surprised you didn't mention the Shaq dunk against the Trailblazers in that comeback win.  That's in my top most memorable moments somewhere.  I was a big Scottie Pippen fan and had a math tutor my senior year who was like a Scottie Pippen fanatic.  We actually watched the game together and it was a crushing defeat

u were goin for portland over LA? :nawty:

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
1. Jeter's flip by the plate. Went nuts for about four innings after that.
2. Iverson game 1, 2001 finals.
3. Aaron Boone's homerun 2003 ALCS.
4. LeBron's 48 in the Conference Finals against the Pistons.
5. Jeters walk off in the 2001 World Series.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 01:51:34 PM by Chamillitary Click »

MistaNova

1). Ichiro's 2004 season in which he hit a MLB record 262 hits in a single season
2). Phil Hughes' Debut (first player I saw live in the minors make it to the majors)
3). Ichiro Suzuki Getting Traded To The Yankees (by 2012 I wasn't a kid anymore but fuck it, my dream came true)
4). The Manny Banuelos, Dellin Betances, and Andrew Brackman "Killer B's" Project/Disaster (by 2011 I wasn't a kid anymore but fuck it, this was a pretty costly disaster)
5). Alex Rodriguez Getting Traded To The Yankees

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
Some heart breakers, and some good times.

1. Watching Jim Abbott play for the first time. I was in awe of a one handed pitcher and many of us after he made his debut started to do the put the glove over our hand thing. I forgot if he won that game, but it was so cool.

2. Bo Jackson breaks his hip. I was in shock as my hero was carried off the field. They replayed the play over and over again. It was a sad moment, but not as sad as number 5.

3. Kurt Gibson's home run. This was before Jim Abbott made me an Angels fan. The whole Southern California went nuts. You'd think the Dodgers won after that, but it was just game 1. It was a moment that energizes the Dodgers past the heavily favored A's.

4. Lakers vs. Bulls, Magic vs. Air Jordan. This was pre His Airness days. I was very much going for the Lakers. Many at my school were pulling for Jordan and they had the shoes. The hype was crazy and when the Lakers won game 1 I was bragging about it at school. I took most the heat after the Bulls won. Many of those classmates are Laker fans today. Bandwagoners.

5. Magic came out HIV positive. I cried. It was the worst moment in sports for me. Magic was my hero, more so than Bo or Jim Abbott. For as long as I was alive, Magic was winning titles for the Lakers. To me no one could ever be better. The whole thing did introduce me to Arsenio and late night TV. But still, I'd rather have Magic play another 5 years and past the torch to Kobe while playing together and be HIV free.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 08:20:32 PM by M Dogg™ »

Sccit

5. Magic came out HIV positive. I cried. It was the worst moment in sports for me. Magic was my hero, more so than Bo or Jim Abbott. For as long as I was alive, Magic was winning titles for the Lakers. To me no one could ever be better. The whole thing did introduce me to Arsenio and late night TV. But still, I'd rather have Magic play another 5 years and past the torch to Kobe while playing together and be HIV free.

WHAT    THE     FUCK

how is this a top 5 moment for u? LMFAO

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!

WHAT    THE     FUCK

how is this a top 5 moment for u? LMFAO

Mostly because of impact. When I think of sports as a kid, that's always the first thing I think of. I did it based on impact. Not favorite. Besides, when you reach my age, it's hard to remember everything and you only remember the stuff that was high impact... LMAO.

Sccit

Either way, it's a bottom 5 moment not top 5 lol.. Big difference

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
oookkkkaaaayyyy

Infinite had a few what I'd call bottom 5 moments, so I took it as those moments that have an impact. He said favorite moments, but I read his examples and they didn't seem like favorite moments. But yeah, Magic's HIV announcement was truly Earth shattering to me. It would be like seeing Superman die in real life or seeing Batman get a broken back.

O.G A.Geesta'z

i was like 7 or 8 and i remember when Mike Tyson bit Holyfields ear, i was lucky to even be allowed up that late but i remember we were at my grandparents and they were having a bunch of people over and i got to watch it right next to my grandpa and after he did that i asked "are they allowed to do that" and he said "no that man has gone crazy"

i also remember when the Montreal Screwjob happened and Bret Hart got screwed, i was such a huge wrestling fan growing up and it was around the same age as the Tyson incident, i almost cried when Bret Hart lost and i was told he was going to WCW, ive never looked at wrestling the same, (which i would of figured out eventually)

last but not least was Ron Artest beating up the fans at Detroit, yeah i wasnt that little but i was still in my teens and remember seeing it and thinking, "damn this guy is my new favorite basketball player" and Artest has been ever since...
The West is Back

• Muthafuckin' Don!

-Jordan hitting the buzzer beater against the Jazz.

you must not remember it that well.  It wasn't a buzzer beater

• Muthafuckin' Don!

u were goin for portland over LA? :nawty:

You know I got love for the West Coast, but I grew up in the Jordan era as a Bulls fan.  By extension I had to support Pippen's last run at a title.