Author Topic: KC and Jojo Appreciation Thread  (Read 543 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
KC and Jojo Appreciation Thread
« on: October 19, 2013, 11:51:41 AM »
These guys are the kings of R&B.  Suge was way real and did things that no other record executive would do.  He went and got their contracts straitghtened out when they had bad contracts and he did the same thing for Mary J. Just out of love not asking for anything in return.

Their first album still makes it into my rotation quite a bit.  Tracks like "Last night I wrote you a letter" and "Now and Forever" along with all the hits from that album.  Then lately I ws playing their second album "Tell Me Its Real" and remembered how good that whole album was.   This guys had all the west coast hiphop style and sentiment but they made love songs, so they were very unique.  They also had classic work with Jodeci and guest features with Death Row and appearances like "If You Think Your Lonely Now" from Jasons Lyric that helped blow that movie up.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 02:43:16 PM by Infinite »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

bouli77

Re: KC and Jojo Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 12:18:17 PM »

they're good but they're not the kings of r&b, they don't have the longevity nor the catalogue to claim that title. their work with Jodeci was more influential thanks to the timeless production handled by their cousin DeVanté Swing. K-Ci should have been bigger than he is.

It's too bad Death Row couldn't really develop their r&b branch because with DeVanté and Quik at the helm they were a force to be reckoned with. The R&B songs on their various compilations speak for themselves (especially Above the Rim and Christmas on Death Row)

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 02:49:22 PM »

they're good but they're not the kings of r&b, they don't have the longevity nor the catalogue to claim that title. their work with Jodeci was more influential thanks to the timeless production handled by their cousin DeVanté Swing. K-Ci should have been bigger than he is.

If you count the work KC and JoJo did with Jodeci (and I do) then I think they certainly had the longevity and catalog to back up my statements.  K-Ci was huge.  How big did he need to be?  That first KC and JoJo album sold like 5 million, and their next one went platinum and their third would have gone platinum if not for digital downloading and lending their hit to a soundtrack.   Also KC was already huge with Jodeci before all that.  Again, how big do you need him to be?

It's too bad Death Row couldn't really develop their r&b branch because with DeVanté and Quik at the helm they were a force to be reckoned with. The R&B songs on their various compilations speak for themselves (especially Above the Rim and Christmas on Death Row)

No doubt about that.   8)

bouli77

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 03:35:40 PM »

If you count the work KC and JoJo did with Jodeci (and I do) then I think they certainly had the longevity and catalog to back up my statements.  K-Ci was huge.  How big did he need to be?  That first KC and JoJo album sold like 5 million, and their next one went platinum and their third would have gone platinum if not for digital downloading and lending their hit to a soundtrack.   Also KC was already huge with Jodeci before all that.  Again, how big do you need him to be?

for starters, having a decent solo career and not waiting 2006 to put your first solo album would have been nice. they had a good run of 10 years (including Jodeci), that's great but Raphael Saadiq, Keith Sweat, and of course R. Kelly have had longer and more successful careers and would have more legitimacy claiming the title "king of r&b" if such a title existed

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 05:40:29 PM »

for starters, having a decent solo career and not waiting 2006 to put your first solo album would have been nice. they had a good run of 10 years (including Jodeci), that's great but Raphael Saadiq, Keith Sweat, and of course R. Kelly have had longer and more successful careers and would have more legitimacy claiming the title "king of r&b" if such a title existed

Rapheal Saadiq?  Are you serious.  I can't even think of one song of his other than "Midnight Love" with Snoop and that was even unreleased.   Hard for him to be "the King" and I can't even think of one of his songs.  Did he do "Anniversary"?  I mean, that song was alright but nothing mind-blowing.

Kieth Sweat?   Does this dude even have any hits?  "Twisted" and "Nobody" and that's all I can even think of.

R. Kelly?  Okay, R. Kelly can certainly claim the title of being King of R&B.  Personally I'm not a big fan of his, but I can't deny the impact he has had over the years. 

...as for KC and JoJo.   They were very humble and down to Earth, they didn't try to act like superstars, but personally I think they are the kings of R&B.

Jack Trippa 3z company ho

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 12:11:28 AM »
You need to leave the hyperbole alone, it waters down your words.

Aside from that, they are def talented dudes.

Jodeci>k ci and jojo...devante swang is extremely underrated. He fathered Timbalands style...made one of the hardest beats on all eyes on me.

bouli77

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 02:27:22 AM »

Rapheal Saadiq?  Are you serious.  I can't even think of one song of his other than "Midnight Love" with Snoop and that was even unreleased.   Hard for him to be "the King" and I can't even think of one of his songs.  Did he do "Anniversary"?  I mean, that song was alright but nothing mind-blowing.

Kieth Sweat?   Does this dude even have any hits?  "Twisted" and "Nobody" and that's all I can even think of.

R. Kelly?  Okay, R. Kelly can certainly claim the title of being King of R&B.  Personally I'm not a big fan of his, but I can't deny the impact he has had over the years. 

...as for KC and JoJo.   They were very humble and down to Earth, they didn't try to act like superstars, but personally I think they are the kings of R&B.

Keith Sweat sold more records than K-Ci & Jojo,

the fact that they are humble has nothing to do with them being kings of r&b or not. they dropped 3 albums and that's it, none of their albums had the impact of Keith Sweat's Make It Last Forever which was one of the staples in New Jack Swing and sold 3 million, to this day Make It Last Forever and How Deep is Your Love are some of the most sampled songs and that speaks volumes on their impact. Keith Sweat made several hits (I Want Her, Make You Sweat, Twisted, Come and Get With Me), as well as timeless classics that still gets airplay today (Make It Last Forever, sampled countless times in rap). he sold more than 3 million singles and 13 million albums .

What did K-Ci & Jojo do outside of Jodeci (which really was a brainchild of DeVanté Swing) ? All My Life and that's it. I love them but I hate that song. Way too grandiloquent, cheesy and corny, that's exactly the type of songs that I abhor in R&B. They sold 5 million albums (which is already outstanding), but not any of their singles, even all my life, which was their biggest effort at crossing over, even go gold, meanwhile Keith Sweat went gold with dope songs like I Want Her or Come and Get With Me (with Snoop Dogg) where he didn't have to switch his style and kept it funky.

as for Raphael Saadiq, dude has a deep catalogues of group, solo and collaboration efforts. from Tony Toni Tone to Lucy Pearl to his 4 great albums. He may not have the success of K-Ci & Jojo in terms of record sales, but in terms of integrity and inventivity he's way above them.

You need to leave the hyperbole alone, it waters down your words.

Aside from that, they are def talented dudes.

exactly, i have no problem with K-Ci & Jojo, i like k-ci especially but they're just not the kings of r&b, if you ask r&b fans, i don't think even 10% will tell you they're kings of r&b lol, and what's a king without the approval of his subjects ?

devanté is like the r&b DJ Quik, with more mainstream success. dude could do it all, even the talkbox.

Jack Trippa 3z company ho

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 02:35:19 AM »
^^^real talk. I didn't even see him mention Raphael saadiq till your reply....lmfao at k ci and jojo being more talented than him.

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 05:34:03 PM »
Listen to the new Kci & Jojo album... and then try to say that they are Kings Of R&B,  they fucked up their legacy... Raphael Saadiq is indeed one of the greatest alive a real musician and a talented singer

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, 12:20:38 AM »
the new album they dropped earlier in the month is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better then i expected considering how hard they fell of as of recent

J. B A N A N A S

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 01:14:52 PM »
You see Lyin' Brian, when you start comparing them against other singers you fuck everything up. I was gonna come in here and be like "yeah KC and Jojo been doing it (pause) well for many years".

Then you start with "oh god KC/JJ are so much more talented and handsome than Raphael Saadiq and R Kelly, I can't possibly stomach someone telling me they prefer some other guy to my favorite artist", which you have been guilty of for years.

You just can't express yourself without coming off as creepy and square.

And by the way Saadiq is a much more prolific artist.

Sccit

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 02:12:21 PM »
Kci and jojo are legends, lets not act like they ain't up there

MUHFUKKA

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2013, 01:29:17 PM »
fuck that weak ass simpin ho trustin rnb pretty boy bullshit. the REAL kings of rnb

<a href="http://www.youtube.com//v/ZnsfON8IJlY" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com//v/ZnsfON8IJlY</a>

The blood gang embraces Tupac as a member even if YOU dont.

J. B A N A N A S

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2013, 03:51:50 PM »
fuck that weak ass simpin ho trustin rnb pretty boy bullshit. the REAL kings of rnb

<a href="http://www.youtube.com//v/ZnsfON8IJlY" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com//v/ZnsfON8IJlY</a>

Wow this is rare. Amazing.

Ghost Drebin

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2013, 05:22:12 PM »

Wow this is rare. Amazing.

This is some words to live by type of shit here.