Author Topic: Doggystyle facts thread  (Read 1546 times)

Hack Wilson - real

Doggystyle facts thread
« on: February 27, 2014, 09:50:21 PM »
http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/interviews/id.2120/title.kurupt-opens-up-about-foxy-brown-relationship-reconciling-with-dmx

this interview here (which is a damn good interview btw) has Kurupt mentioning that "for my niggas and my bitches" was originally a DPG track but because everyone contributed their best material to whoever was dropping at the time, Snoop was thrown on for a quick hook and I guess somehow Rage got on there for a meaningless verse too.  This was done obviously to showcase the rest of the rappers on Death row but I always thought this song was out of place since Snoop is barely on it.  Great ass song though.

I also remember Snoop saying that "every single day" was made during the Chronic sessions but was intended to be his first single for Doggy STyle.  obviously never happened.  can't find that interview at the moment though.

Post more doggystyle facts....with links if possible

DeeezNuuuts83

Re: Doggystyle facts thread
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 10:17:34 PM »
Wasn't there something about how Doggystyle wasn't actually done (at least not to Dr. Dre's liking for a completed product), but then Death Row had a deadline and had to submit whatever they had?  It came out great anyway, so it's interesting to think what it would have been like if Dre finished everything, whether it was something as minor as mixing or maybe recording some different songs.

aerroc

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 10:55:02 PM »
here is my  Doggystyle fact this forum is the only place where  Doggystyle gets talked about every month since the beginning of this forum

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 10:55:19 PM »
Wasn't there something about how Doggystyle wasn't actually done (at least not to Dr. Dre's liking for a completed product), but then Death Row had a deadline and had to submit whatever they had?  It came out great anyway, so it's interesting to think what it would have been like if Dre finished everything, whether it was something as minor as mixing or maybe recording some different songs.

I remember reading that too. Supposedly Interscope gave them a now or never so Dre took all the records they had, mixed them, then threw in some hooks to fill in the blanks. Meaning Dre was taking his sweet precious time even back in 93 lol

They should've released a Doggystyle 2 EP just to really stretch Snoop's success. An EP with Doggystyle, Every Single Day, The Next Episode, etc  :o
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Okka

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 06:08:19 AM »
here is my  Doggystyle fact this forum is the only place where  Doggystyle gets talked about every month since the beginning of this forum

Hahahaha, true that. Still my favorite album of all times, but come on now.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 07:14:29 AM »

i'd give you a prop if you weren't the same dude who keeps discussing the Realest all the time...

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 08:40:47 AM »

I remember reading that too. Supposedly Interscope gave them a now or never so Dre took all the records they had, mixed them, then threw in some hooks to fill in the blanks. Meaning Dre was taking his sweet precious time even back in 93 lol

They should've released a Doggystyle 2 EP just to really stretch Snoop's success. An EP with Doggystyle, Every Single Day, The Next Episode, etc  :o
Yeah, Interscope was probably smart enough to know that they had to strike while the iron was hot, with all the attention on Death Row while Snoop had a huge buzz.  The first week sales proved that, since it went unchallenged for seven or eight years as the biggest first week sales.  (I think that second Nsync CD beat it out for biggest sales, while Eminem's second CD beat it around the same time for the biggest solo album first week sales and also biggest hip-hop first week sales too.)

That hypothetical EP would've been dope, but mostly just because we know now some of the songs that would have been in the vaults at that time, along with how the Death Row story ended with everyone eventually jumping ship and a lot of tracks basically being lost forever ~20 years later.  But it wouldn't have been realistic, with Death Row proving to be a powerhouse and signing on more acts who should also get their shot too, since the Death Row name would've guaranteed at least gold status.  Plus there was all that legal trouble, particularly Snoop's trial.  But had he been found guilty and went to prison, then I bet Death Row would've put all that shit out.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 09:00:53 AM »

Bad idea.  Death Row was not No Limit Records.  Death Row was quality over quantity.  They kept people wanting more.  In fact the main reason Dre left Death Row was because they started signing artists without his approval and he wanted to maintain a high standard for any artist or album released on Death Row.

Now we are in the days of mixtapes where artists like kendrick have a 1,000 songs floating around and Snoop does songs with the Pussycat Dolls and it certainly waters everything down.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 09:05:19 AM »
GREAT idea

a late 1994 doggystyle 2 EP of the following songs would have gone multi plat  (2-3x)

Doggystyle
It's On (with Rage)
Poor Young Dave
Every Single Day (with Kurupt)
G's Up Hoes Down
(insert semi-funny skit here)
Next Episode (with Dre)

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 09:21:46 AM »
Bad idea.  Death Row was not No Limit Records.  Death Row was quality over quantity.  They kept people wanting more.  In fact the main reason Dre left Death Row was because they started signing artists without his approval and he wanted to maintain a high standard for any artist or album released on Death Row.
That's inaccurate.  Dre didn't necessarily have a problem with who Suge was signing aside from Hammer (since it's not like Dre listened to those newly signed artists' demos and declared them to be garbage), but more so with the fact that Suge was taking control and not really getting Dre's input.  Dre felt deprived of control when new dudes would show up at Death Row greeting him and talking about how they just got signed and that he was supposed to do the beats for their album.  It doesn't mean that it was quantity over quality.

EVERY label, especially within the hip-hop industry, signs on more acts than they need to, and sometimes their stuff gets shelved or put on the backburner.  No Limit doing all that shit was actually pretty successful for them, particularly with how their CD booklets were basically advertisements for their upcoming albums with art and everything, which was pretty smart compared to most other labels just putting a little line at the bottom ("Coming soon -- new album from [insert artist]").  But No Limit's demise wasn't because they had too many acts, it's because that New Orleans shit got played out while No Limit was putting out EVERYONE'S album.  Death Row wouldn't have done that, especially not with input from Interscope, whereas No Limit's distribution deal gave them more control.  That's why within the span of a little more than a year, we got a Dogg Pound album, two Pac albums and a Snoop album.  While Rage should've gotten a release around that time too, it's not like we were getting releases from Foesum or something.

Now we are in the days of mixtapes where artists like kendrick have a 1,000 songs floating around and Snoop does songs with the Pussycat Dolls and it certainly waters everything down.
That happens because music is a lot easier to record and distribute on a larger scale these days.  Back in the 1990s, even just to put out a mixtape, unless you only were releasing it within your city, you had to actually plan it out and figure out the distribution network.  Now, you can just upload it.  That's why it seems like today's rappers record a lot more, because it's easier for their scrapped tracks to see the light of day with minimal cost to them, versus 20 years ago when they'd have had to press the material and then put it out at mom-and-pop stores.

Not that I disagree, but h
Bad idea.  Death Row was not No Limit Records.  Death Row was quality over quantity.  They kept people wanting more.  In fact the main reason Dre left Death Row was because they started signing artists without his approval and he wanted to maintain a high standard for any artist or album released on Death Row.

Hip-hop is becoming more and more mainstream (overall a good thing, when it's done right), and crossovers are going to happen... just like when Run DMC linked up with Aerosmith, or when Onyx linked up with Biohazard, or when Bone Thugs linked up with Henry Rollins (not to mention Mariah Carey and Phil Collins), etc.  These are just once-every-so-often crossovers... it's not like those people are changing their styles completely.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 09:55:35 AM »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Will_B

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 01:03:48 PM »
I also remember Snoop saying that "every single day" was made during the Chronic sessions but was intended to be his first single for Doggy STyle.  obviously never happened.  can't find that interview at the moment though.

Colby Colb show from 1994 where they play Every Single Day

http://uploading.com/f5191a48/SNOOP-DOGG-Interview-On-Philly-s-Power-99-Radioactive-Radio-Show-With-Colby-Colb-4-22-1994-mp3

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 03:45:49 PM »

http://uploading.com/f5191a48/SNOOP-DOGG-Interview-On-Philly-s-Power-99-Radioactive-Radio-Show-With-Colby-Colb-4-22-1994-mp3

thanks for posting this...this is a gem

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 04:51:32 PM »

4-22-1994...my 7th birthday  ;D

Thats interesting. Why would he play this in Philly a year AFTER Doggystyle was released?
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 04:56:31 PM »
the radio DJ says he bought a bootleg with Gin and Juice, Every single day and Niggaz don't give a fuck on it.  probably the OG niggaz don't give a fuck too.