Author Topic: Robbie Cano: Mariners need extra bat  (Read 310 times)

Hack Wilson - real

Robbie Cano: Mariners need extra bat
« on: March 02, 2014, 02:23:12 PM »
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10541742/robinson-cano-says-seattle-mariners-need-extra-bat

lmao you need a lot more than Robinson.  Enjoy the money and 4th place finishes.

Halu Sination

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Halu Sination
Re: Robbie Cano: Mariners need extra bat
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 06:05:00 PM »
It was kinda sad hearing him say that Mariners aren't going to win it big in the near future. He's not even going to attempt lie to himself lol.

He is right about Seattle having a severely underrated 1-2 punch in Felix and Kuma though.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 08:05:13 PM »
I honestly hate him lol. I think the Yankees have a chance to still win. But if he stayed it goes up times five.

Halu Sination

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Halu Sination
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 08:43:25 PM »
I honestly hate him lol. I think the Yankees have a chance to still win. But if he stayed it goes up times five.

Yanks ain't winning a chip any time soon but assuming Tanaka doesn't completely flop like Japanese pitchers have for Yankees in the past, I think they're actually a better team than they were last year. And they wouldn't have made all the roster signings that they did had Cano stayed, so his departure could very well be a blessing in disguise.

MistaNova

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 09:32:15 PM »
Yanks ain't winning a chip any time soon but assuming Tanaka doesn't completely flop like Japanese pitchers have for Yankees in the past, I think they're actually a better team than they were last year. And they wouldn't have made all the roster signings that they did had Cano stayed, so his departure could very well be a blessing in disguise.

Not sure about that. The Yankees didn't resign Cano but went above the luxury tax threshold anyway and also gave away their first round picks. Looks to me like they were going to go balls out from the get-go (they'd have to if they wanted to keep asses in seats), meaning that if they had managed to resign Cano they'd still probably have add Beltran and Tanaka (amongst other not-so noteworthy players).

And yes the Yankees are a better team now than they were last year but that's not saying much when you consider that the 2013 Yankees was one of the worst teams ever assembled. What else can you say about a team that had the ghost of Ichiro, Brennan Boesch, Chris Nelson, Kevin Youkilis, Reid Brignac, Chris Stewart, Jayson Nix, David Adams, Luis Cruz, Brent Lillibridge, Vernon Wells, Travis Hafner, Lyle Overbay, Austin Romine, Ben Francisco etc... in crucial roles. Only to strike out or ground into a double play.
The lineups were so terrible that you can probably argue that Cory Hart and/or LoMo will offer Cano more line-up protection than every hitter who hit behind Cano in 2013 combined did.

I suppose you could say the pitching was the one bright spot about the 2013 Yankees but by the end of the season most of the starters like Kuroda and Pettitte were wiped out with fatigue. Which meant even more work for a bullpen that was already overworked because Hughes could never reach the 5th inning and CC could never reach the 7th inning. Resulting in the bullpen and rotation collapsing at once. Something the brainless Yankees fans don't realize is that there's a very real possibility of that happening again this year. Especially since last year's rotation was marginally better and last year's bullpen was WAY better.

Ghost Drebin

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 04:49:25 PM »

lmao you need a lot more than Robinson.  Enjoy the money and 4th place finishes.

This.  If I was already rich as fuck, I'd leave a few millions on the table to not have to play for a shitty team.  They are King Felix going down away from a 100 loss season.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 05:16:01 PM »
this is gonna go down as THE ugliest deal in MLB history

at least A-rod's deal delivered a title to NY lol

DJ SUGAFREE QUIK

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 10:34:57 PM »
I thought about posting that whenever robbie saying that was mentioned.  He coulda helped with that if he took less cash or years.  You'd think seattle woulda learned their lesson from A-Fraud.  Need 2 spread the cash around to get a contending team.  There should be a ban on 10 year contracts because of these 2 & Pujols. 

MistaNova

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 11:09:02 PM »
There should be a ban on 10 year contracts because of these 2 & Pujols. 

There's no way the union would agree to that. Especially not when local TV deals are making teams morbidly rich and Trout's 10 year $400 million contract is just on the horizon.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 11:12:45 PM by Iveus »

Halu Sination

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Halu Sination
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 11:59:03 PM »

Thats an unfair comparison to make. A-Rod was great but he was backed by a management who went out to get the pieces needed to win a championship, and the biggest missing piece was Sabathia when they went on to win the championship that year.

It's only been one offseason for Mariners so far. Seattle hasn't done jack shit obviously other than the Cano signing, but for all we know they might go crazy in the next couple years or so and maybe Cano will lead the squad to a championship. They're a long way from contending as it is, but he'd only need to win one to match the justification in A-Rod's contract.

Halu Sination

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Halu Sination
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 12:10:36 AM »
There should be a ban on 10 year contracts because of these 2 & Pujols. 

There's no way the union would agree to that. Especially not when local TV deals are making teams morbidly rich and Trout's 10 year $400 million contract is just on the horizon.

Trout's probably getting a 15 year deal.

The worst part about the Cano deal is how it's prying open Pandora's box. A-Rod and Pujols were the best players in the league at one point. Cano was the best second baseman in the league, which nowadays is a weak ass position where his only competition were Pedroia and Matt Carpenter (who is moving to 3B anyways now that David Freese is gone).  Yanks had to take a stance somewhere... they don't want to go down as the team to give two of the worst contracts of all-time.

Remedy360

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 12:16:54 AM »

Thats an unfair comparison to make. A-Rod was great but he was backed by a management who went out to get the pieces needed to win a championship, and the biggest missing piece was Sabathia when they went on to win the championship that year.

It's only been one offseason for Mariners so far. Seattle hasn't done jack shit obviously other than the Cano signing, but for all we know they might go crazy in the next couple years or so and maybe Cano will lead the squad to a championship. They're a long way from contending as it is, but he'd only need to win one to match the justification in A-Rod's contract.

We've discussed this, but Hack Wilson's Logic= the Mariners had their chance in 2001, they'll never make the playoffs ever again.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 03:42:58 PM »
this is the truth

Mariners will never win a world series  8)

MistaNova

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 09:27:12 PM »
Yanks had to take a stance somewhere... they don't want to go down as the team to give two of the worst contracts of all-time.

I'm sure they will when they give Bryce Harper a 20 year $800 million contract with a player option for a 21st year worth $50 million.

Remedy360

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 12:54:59 PM »
Yanks had to take a stance somewhere... they don't want to go down as the team to give two of the worst contracts of all-time.

I'm sure they will when they give Bryce Harper a 20 year $800 million contract with a player option for a 21st year worth $50 million.

The player option for the 21st year is the key.