Author Topic: Did anybody actually like the Dysfunctional Family soundtrack?  (Read 895 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
I bought it when it came out.  I gave it like one spin and I don't know what happened to it after that.

I was just thinking about it because I listened to Darren Vegas interview with JMix.  He was naming all the cats on tha Row roster like Eastwood, Crooked I, Kurupt, Nina, and so on and sayin they had talent and that the problem was lack of promotion, and that most the shit didn't get released, except Dysfunctional Family and that that album suffered from lack of promotion...

lack of promotion?  I don't know.. I remember that shit being madd weak, was it not?  I mean, sure they didn't do shit to market the album, but even with a billion dollar marketing budget I doubt it would've caught on.

Just lookin back on this because it's really the only product we have from Tha Row days after Suge got released.  Other than what, the NuMixx?  I was surprised how well the NuMixx Classiks actually sold, Darren Vegas was saying it sold Gold?
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Jimmy H.

Re: Did anybody actually like the Dysfunctional Family soundtrack?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 10:55:53 PM »
NuMixx sold because it was Tupac. Dysfunktional Family had some good tracks on it but there wasn't a whole lot to be promoted there. It's greatest strength was being connected to an Eddie Griffin movie but even that was only going to take them so far.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 11:07:20 PM »
NuMixx sold because it was Tupac. Dysfunktional Family had some good tracks on it but there wasn't a whole lot to be promoted there. It's greatest strength was being connected to an Eddie Griffin movie but even that was only going to take them so far.

How was the NuMixx album anyway?  I never really paid attention to it.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 11:25:09 PM »
I used to really like it when it dropped. I broke it out about a year ago for the first time in ages and ehh. It has some really dope songs but majority of it was blan. Crooked pretty much saved it from being a frisbee.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

KrazySumwhat

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 12:36:08 AM »
 I have to admit i was a bit anti deathrow at the time and even a tad anti crooked i, wasn't interested in the release at all. But i do remember checking it out and hearing some pretty dope shit on there. I cant really remember it all that well though. i think there was weak shit too n lots of rnb too?

O.G A.Geesta'z

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 01:44:00 AM »
it fuckin sucked, but Darren Vegas was right, there was so much talent on Tha Row but they never pushed or promoted their artists,
which in fact makes you look more like a dumbass Infinite, because if Suge was such a great rap mogul like you say he is he would of known how to push those artists and put money into them to make money and Tha Row would of been relevant again.. but everyone knows Suge never really did shit but be a bully back in the Death Row era and it was really guys like Dre and Pac running the show behind the scenes that made all that money
but your too much of a dumb fuck to realize that

anyways Darren Vegas is a respected man in hip hop in my opinion because he produced the classic Bizzy Bone "The Gift" album which is still one of my favorite hip hop albums of all time... i'd be surprised if your narrow minded ass even heard it though..
The West is Back

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 02:11:58 AM »
it fuckin sucked, but Darren Vegas was right, there was so much talent on Tha Row but they never pushed or promoted their artists,
which in fact makes you look more like a dumbass Infinite, because if Suge was such a great rap mogul like you say he is he would of known how to push those artists and put money into them to make money and Tha Row would of been relevant again.. but everyone knows Suge never really did shit but be a bully back in the Death Row era and it was really guys like Dre and Pac running the show behind the scenes that made all that money
but your too much of a dumb fuck to realize that

anyways Darren Vegas is a respected man in hip hop in my opinion because he produced the classic Bizzy Bone "The Gift" album which is still one of my favorite hip hop albums of all time... i'd be surprised if your narrow minded ass even heard it though..

-The Gift was weak.  Bizzy Bone was spectacular in all his work for Bone in the 90's, but when he went solo I wasn't feeling it when that album came out.  Haven't given it a spin since then.

-As for Suge's handling of the company after returning from prison, I admit you have a point.  You know ya'll forget that I consider Dre the most important person in making Death Row what it was.  Yet I still love Suge, not because I think he was the worlds greatest record mogul or businessman but because I love Suge because he kept shit real at the end of the day.

-all that other stuff, you can beef with me over in the Anything Goes section of the forum if you got it that bad for me
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 02:14:39 AM by Infinite »

O.G A.Geesta'z

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 02:42:42 AM »
The Gift was the best solo album out of all the bone thugs solo albums dropped

im not knocking any of Krayzie's stuff or Layzies Thug by Nature cus it was average and Krayzies were above average but The Gift is a classic solid album front to back
i feel that you think it was weak because Bizzy took the christian route that album and dropped songs like Jesus but if you look past that it was really a great album

i know how biased you are Infinite and if Bizzy would of made a song called Mohammed instead of Jesus you would think it was a better album, but I on the other hand wouldnt matter because it was still a solid classic album, go back and listen to it, maybe you will have a change of mind
The West is Back

adi760

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 06:33:17 AM »
I love that soundtrack, still don't get why people don't like CD and sold shitty.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/qvQn6pva7xk" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/qvQn6pva7xk</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/8lQPYkUj4rI" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/8lQPYkUj4rI</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ITUONxDP4DA" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ITUONxDP4DA</a>

teletomble

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 12:49:19 PM »
Any1 Have A Download For It?

Jimmy H.

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2014, 02:11:18 PM »
There was one good remix. "Life Goes On". The rest were pretty much disposable and yes, I include the Crooked remix in that conversation. I think Crooked I had some great songs when he worked over there but that one was weak and shouldn't have happened. "2 of Amerikka's Most Wanted" is a Pac/Snoop track. It's not like Snoop just came on and did a 16-bar and they could remove it and put someone else on there. Pac made that song to be with Snoop, they trade verses back and forth, and Pac mentions him in the lyrics. If they were going to add Crooked to a Pac track, that was a bad choice for one.

The problem with "NuMixx Klassics" is it feels like they just added new generic instrumentals to the equation, outside of "Life Goes On", which sounds like a new take on an old favorite. That's the only track that can I enjoy in the sense where I can listen to it and not want to just hear the original.

UKnowWhatItIs: welcome to my traps....game over

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 02:34:51 PM »
Never heard the whole album but We Ballin with Eastwood & Crooked is the shit.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2014, 04:42:43 PM »
the 6 songs with Crooked I were dope

the song with Jay Z was nice and Kurupt "i'm back" was dope

the rest?  garbage

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 06:17:15 PM »
The Gift was the best solo album out of all the bone thugs solo albums dropped

im not knocking any of Krayzie's stuff or Layzies Thug by Nature cus it was average and Krayzies were above average but The Gift is a classic solid album front to back
i feel that you think it was weak because Bizzy took the christian route that album and dropped songs like Jesus but if you look past that it was really a great album

i know how biased you are Infinite and if Bizzy would of made a song called Mohammed instead of Jesus you would think it was a better album, but I on the other hand wouldnt matter because it was still a solid classic album, go back and listen to it, maybe you will have a change of mind

Well Bizzy is actually a Muslim and recorded something about Allah at one point...  Flesh is a Muslim and they even talk to him about it over the phone while he's in prison on the Bone album that came out around 02'.

All the Bone solo albums have too much filler and came out after their prime had ended.  The only Bone solo that came out during their prime was Flesh's album on Def Jam and that featured one of the most soulful hip-hop tracks of all time, "World So Cruel", makes it the second best Bone solo... the best Bone solo album of all time is Krayzie Bone Thug On The Line because it has that timeless cut with Tiffany on there "Talk To Myself".  It also has a nice joint with Sade and the L.T. Hutton joint "Ya'll Don't Know Me".  Still, too much filler after that and a little outside of Bone's prime.  

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 06:22:01 PM »
There was one good remix. "Life Goes On". The rest were pretty much disposable and yes, I include the Crooked remix in that conversation. I think Crooked I had some great songs when he worked over there but that one was weak and shouldn't have happened. "2 of Amerikka's Most Wanted" is a Pac/Snoop track. It's not like Snoop just came on and did a 16-bar and they could remove it and put someone else on there. Pac made that song to be with Snoop, they trade verses back and forth, and Pac mentions him in the lyrics. If they were going to add Crooked to a Pac track, that was a bad choice for one.

The problem with "NuMixx Klassics" is it feels like they just added new generic instrumentals to the equation, outside of "Life Goes On", which sounds like a new take on an old favorite. That's the only track that can I enjoy in the sense where I can listen to it and not want to just hear the original.

nice review