Author Topic: Ghost Beats: 10 Dr. Dre Co-Producers Who Deserve More Credit  (Read 983 times)

Jimmy H.

Re: Ghost Beats: 10 Dr. Dre Co-Producers Who Deserve More Credit
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2014, 10:29:40 PM »
Hutch made this claim a few years ago

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.20178/title.big-hutch-releases-video-regarding-eve-dr-dre-love-is-blind-lawsuit
  Yeah, but with Hutch, I've never heard him make claims about co-producing songs with Dre. With the other artists, you have people who claim they didn't get credit for work on Dre-produced songs. Dre was given no production credit on "Love Is Blind" to my knowledge. It's credited to Swizz Beatz. That doesn't mean Dre didn't steal it from Hutch but if he did, he didn't take credit for it.

The G-Funk claim seems more over "innovating a style" than specific songs.  Hutch said he and Dre worked with each other at Ruthless and Dre borrowed some of his influences without naming him as the innovator. This is a much different claim than saying you gave someone the skeleton for a track and they didn't give you the right credit. Again, this isn't to say that Dre didn't do this with Hutch as well but if he has, Hutch has never cited examples.

HighEyeCue

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2014, 08:20:02 AM »

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.20178/title.big-hutch-releases-video-regarding-eve-dr-dre-love-is-blind-lawsuit
i wonder what happened to that lawsuit.

anyway that article has a link to an older interview too, but hutch seems very humble towards dre in that interview

yeah but Hutch has made claims for years about him innovating GFunk, it seems that he goes back and forth

Yeah, but with Hutch, I've never heard him make claims about co-producing songs with Dre. With the other artists, you have people who claim they didn't get credit for work on Dre-produced songs. Dre was given no production credit on "Love Is Blind" to my knowledge. It's credited to Swizz Beatz. That doesn't mean Dre didn't steal it from Hutch but if he did, he didn't take credit for it.

The G-Funk claim seems more over "innovating a style" than specific songs.  Hutch said he and Dre worked with each other at Ruthless and Dre borrowed some of his influences without naming him as the innovator. This is a much different claim than saying you gave someone the skeleton for a track and they didn't give you the right credit. Again, this isn't to say that Dre didn't do this with Hutch as well but if he has, Hutch has never cited examples.

the only thing that I can think of was the "Livin like hustlaz" album which they were both producers on but I dont have the credits so I dont know if they were listed as coproducers on some of the same tracks and Hutch has never named specifics

dnjp4life

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2014, 10:58:14 AM »

i wonder what happened to that lawsuit.

anyway that article has a link to an older interview too, but hutch seems very humble towards dre in that interview

yeah but Hutch has made claims for years about him innovating GFunk, it seems that he goes back and forth

The G-Funk claim seems more over "innovating a style" than specific songs.  Hutch said he and Dre worked with each other at Ruthless and Dre borrowed some of his influences without naming him as the innovator. This is a much different claim than saying you gave someone the skeleton for a track and they didn't give you the right credit. Again, this isn't to say that Dre didn't do this with Hutch as well but if he has, Hutch has never cited examples.

the only thing that I can think of was the "Livin like hustlaz" album which they were both producers on but I dont have the credits so I dont know if they were listed as coproducers on some of the same tracks and Hutch has never named specifics

I'm fairly sure that the only track that Dre and Cold 187um produced together was 'Murder Rap' on that album (probably 'The Last Song' as well).  They're the only two tracks in the booklet that specifically have Dr. Dre's name listed underneath.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 11:00:30 AM by dnjp4life »

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2014, 12:52:54 PM »
Also, at the same time, it's not like the original beats were always as great as they became once Dre worked his magic.  Yes, you can absolutely tell that the beats are similar, but the differences are sometimes huge in terms of overall quality.  And it's not like a ton of those guys could have done it without Dre... some of them were wise enough to use what they learned and continue their momentum, like Scott Storch.  Daz could've, if Death Row didn't fall apart and shit didn't sour between him and Suge so bad.

But to play devil's advocate for a second...you can also make a case that a lot of non-Dre beats sound IDENTICAL to his shit. My favorite examples...

WC - Tha Streetz
Conway - Nutcracka
Dr. Dre & Snoop - On the Blvd
Shaunta & Truth Hurts - Benefit of the Doubt
Misteeq - Scandalous
Nas - Got Urself a Gun
Joe Beast - Gangsta

the list goes on.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2014, 01:55:28 PM »
interesting that Mel-Man produced that Freek-Nasty hit...  he had a couple other lead singles he produced that may not have been huge pop hits but West Coast fans loved them.  "Year 2000" for Xzibit was a great song, and he produced the lead single for Snoop in Bones. 
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2014, 03:33:13 PM »
Oh shit and don't forget these

Young Buck - Haters (I'm still in disbelief this wasn't a Dre beat, Buck even shouted him out on the track)
Tony Yayo - Live By the Gun (Yayo himself was promoting that as a Dre track)
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Sccit

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2014, 02:16:33 PM »
Also, at the same time, it's not like the original beats were always as great as they became once Dre worked his magic.  Yes, you can absolutely tell that the beats are similar, but the differences are sometimes huge in terms of overall quality.  And it's not like a ton of those guys could have done it without Dre... some of them were wise enough to use what they learned and continue their momentum, like Scott Storch.  Daz could've, if Death Row didn't fall apart and shit didn't sour between him and Suge so bad.

But to play devil's advocate for a second...you can also make a case that a lot of non-Dre beats sound IDENTICAL to his shit. My favorite examples...

WC - Tha Streetz
Conway - Nutcracka
Dr. Dre & Snoop - On the Blvd
Shaunta & Truth Hurts - Benefit of the Doubt
Misteeq - Scandalous
Nas - Got Urself a Gun
Joe Beast - Gangsta

the list goes on.

u can tell none of those are dre beats