0 (0%)
Walter Jones
0 (0%)
Alex Rodriguez  (bonus option)
1 (14.3%)
Felix Hernandez (bonus option)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Biggest star in Seattle sports history?  (Read 715 times)

Hack Wilson - real

Biggest star in Seattle sports history?
« on: June 13, 2014, 05:07:27 PM »
 8)

Sccit

Re: Biggest star in Seattle sports history?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 05:40:21 PM »
griffey

MistaNova

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 05:48:05 PM »
Justin Smoak

Remedy360

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 12:49:06 AM »
^ LOL

In terms of stature and perception, I think it'll be hard for anyone to pass Griffey. The Mariners were a completely irrelevant franchise until he came on the scene in the early 90's and dude was the first person the average fan really paid attention to on a national basis. He just had all the charisma in the world and made the game look easier than anyone. Ultimately, I feel like the way dude left should actually influence that but most people forgave him and remember the good times. As far as the Mariners, Edgar Martinez was much more loyal and put up pretty amazing numbers himself, but I just don't think he'll ever be viewed the same way.

Overall, I think Russell Wilson definitely has a chance to get up there especially when you consider potential accomplishments, but in the eyes of a lot of people it'll probably always be Griffey.

Also, I don't think the average fan will ever appreciate a guy like Big Walt cause of how little credit O-Lineman get in general but there's certainly a case to be made as far as overall talent. I remember Mike Holmgren who coached guys like Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Brett Favre, etc said Walter Jones was by the far the most talented athlete he was ever associated with.
  :D

DJ SUGAFREE QUIK

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 04:57:04 AM »
I'm not from seattle, of course if I was rich i'd have a summer home there  :) i'd have to say Griffey.  Mariners management are to blame for him being gone.  He wanted the team to get some bullpen & pitching help but only did that after they traded him. 
My favorite seattle sports players.
Steve Largent
Dave Krieg
Tom Chambers
Early 90's Sonics players[kemp, payton, pierce, mc millan, schrempf, mc daniel]

J. B A N A N A S

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 04:59:57 PM »
FORGETTING SOMEBODY?!??

Remedy360

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 07:06:55 PM »
FORGETTING SOMEBODY?!??

Lol what's with the sudden fascination with dude?

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 07:19:37 PM »
Kevin Durant.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 07:20:51 PM »
Don't know who the biggest star is there, but I know the Mariners are playing a first place team this weekend and they will get their asses kicked.  8)
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

J. B A N A N A S

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 02:45:05 PM »
FORGETTING SOMEBODY?!??

Lol what's with the sudden fascination with dude?

http://www.uncletnuc.com/ pays tribute to him every now and then.

PLANT

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 02:54:51 PM »
The reign man Shawn kemp was the fuckin man in seattle

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2014, 03:12:59 PM »

Remedy360

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2014, 03:26:14 PM »

Yeah, signing shitty Mcllavaine to that huge deal was really the beginning of the Sonics downfall from those teams in the 90's to mediocrity for most of the remainder of their time here. Kemp got pissed that they handed a huge deal to someone else and wanted out, traded him for Vin Baker who was a complete waste of talent.

PLANT

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2014, 04:24:07 PM »

Yeah, signing shitty Mcllavaine to that huge deal was really the beginning of the Sonics downfall from those teams in the 90's to mediocrity for most of the remainder of their time here. Kemp got pissed that they handed a huge deal to someone else and wanted out, traded him for Vin Baker who was a complete waste of talent.
It's too bad how it all worked out, was the beginning of the end for both kemp, and Seattle.   Remember kemp was still putting up huge numbers against the bulls in the finals, dunking all over rodman.  He was my favourite player next to MJ growing up as a kid.  I remember my parents getting me a kemp jersey for my 10th bday, pretty much the best gift I ever got back then lol

Remedy360

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2014, 10:31:36 PM »

It's too bad how it all worked out, was the beginning of the end for both kemp, and Seattle.   Remember kemp was still putting up huge numbers against the bulls in the finals, dunking all over rodman.  He was my favourite player next to MJ growing up as a kid.  I remember my parents getting me a kemp jersey for my 10th bday, pretty much the best gift I ever got back then lol

Yeah, apparently after that final in '96 MJ actually told Kemp that he had the best series of anyone, which is obviously huge praise coming from someone with the talent/ego of Jordan lol. But yeah, dude had some issues with drugs and alcohol that fucked with him, but he's at least got his life together these days and actually owns a bar/restaurant in Queen Anne by where the Sonics used to play.