Author Topic: 50 Cent names Jay-Z as most overrated rapper  (Read 1469 times)

Hack Wilson - real

Re: 50 Cent names Jay-Z as most overrated rapper
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 08:33:25 AM »
no shit

only other person who's close is lil wayne.

the fact that "newer" rap fans think of these 2 the way 90's heads viewed Nas, Pac and Big is a disgrace   (or how 80's heads viewed BDK and KGR).  Jay's best work was in the 90's, easily.  He rapped the entire decade yet was just another dope NY rapper until '98 when hard knock life blew up.

Native American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • 2o11
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 09:18:03 AM »
jayz is the most overrated, dudes hiphop career is equal to a female artists. track record and all. his wife and wifes sister got more street cred then him, and they grew up with Jesus.
hes the meryil streep of hiphop.

i never believed anything he said, maybe it was the way he rapped.... but he wrote the book for artist like Aubrey DRAKE to come into the game.
you  dont have to pay dues, you dont have to have street smarts, just lie and higher security detail. Puffy tried to do this with BIGGIE but BIG wasnt feelling it, by then it was to late..... money is a muffuccah...
Drakes latest 0 to 100 track, he said we can do it on your turf, REALLY..... i doubt drake ever even met up with the bullies at the flag pole of his Canadian school, eh ?

most overrrated rapper Performers jayz, and drake.

8)
EVERY LAST ONE OF ''Y-O-U'' BELIEVE THAT DR. DRE HAS MADE THESE SONG's FOR ''Y-O-U''.
THE REALITY IS THAT THE SONG's ARE ''ABOUT Y-O-U'' !!!!!!

Remedy360

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 03:16:22 PM »
I agree. In general I like Jay-Z and have a bunch of his songs, but the fact that people wanna act like he's on the level of guys like Nas, Rakim, etc as far as skills is pretty laughable.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 08:47:58 PM »
jayz is the most overrated, dudes hiphop career is equal to a female artists. track record and all. his wife and wifes sister got more street cred then him, and they grew up with Jesus.

i never believed anything he said, maybe it was the way he rapped.... but he wrote the book for artist like Aubrey DRAKE to come into the game.
you  dont have to pay dues, you dont have to have street smarts, just lie and higher security detail. Puffy tried to do this with BIGGIE but BIG wasnt feelling it, by then it was to late..... money is a muffuccah...
Drakes latest 0 to 100 track, he said we can do it on your turf, REALLY..... i doubt drake ever even met up with the bullies at the flag pole of his Canadian school, eh ?

8)

PREACH!!!!

Jay-Z is the most over-rated.  And there is no "BUT" to that statement.. there is no, "BUT I liked his first album but he sucks now" or "but I have a lot of his cd's and like some of his songs".... No if, ands, or buts, about it.

And don't think I'm being a hater because I am 32 damn years old.  I was around and a huge hip-hop head in 96 when this dude first came out and he wasn't even popular enough to have haters.  His joint with Foxy Brown was the first joint I heard and right away I took him as some sort of back-up groupie for Foxy Brown.  Like a sort of Spliff Starr for Foxy Brown.  No joke.  I just thought he was like her back-up dude or some shit like that...

Then when he came out with what I consider his best song, "Can't Knock the Hustle" with Mary J. Blige, I was taping songs off the radio and I had left the RECORD button on too long and accidentally taped that track after Do or Die "Po Pimp".  So it got left on the tape and I would always hear that song after I would listen to "Po Pimp" before I could get to the tape player and fast forward or rewind.

NOW THAT WAS HIS BEST SONG.  And I even used to fast forward over his shit.   And this was way before dude had HATERS.  Dude just sounded like a regular NY rapper, with very little charisma or originality to stand out from all the other golden age rappers of the mid-90's.

...so I always thought this dude was average at best.  I even bought his second album because I liked the joint "Sunshine" with Foxy Brown and I had a thing for Foxy Brown.  So I tried to listen to the album and I wasn't feeling it at all.   I was shocked when "Hard Knock Life" came out and dude was talking about retirement, and people were saying he was one of the greatest, and making a big deal about that shit like he was a legend or something... I couldn't believe it, and being so young I was stupid enough to buy into the hype a bit and pick up the album.  It sounded good one time through and then the second time through it was wack and I never bumped the album again after that.  

« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 08:55:12 PM by ابرهم عبدالصمد »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

MUHFUKKA

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 10:13:19 PM »

you  dont have to pay dues, you dont have to have street smarts, just lie and higher security detail. Puffy tried to do this with BIGGIE but BIG wasnt feelling it, by then it was to late..... money is a muffuccah...

8)

PREACH!!!!

Jay-Z is the most over-rated.  And there is no "BUT" to that statement.. there is no, "BUT I liked his first album but he sucks now" or "but I have a lot of his cd's and like some of his songs".... No if, ands, or buts, about it.

And don't think I'm being a hater because I am 32 damn years old.  I was around and a huge hip-hop head in 96 when this dude first came out and he wasn't even popular enough to have haters.  His joint with Foxy Brown was the first joint I heard and right away I took him as some sort of back-up groupie for Foxy Brown.  Like a sort of Spliff Starr for Foxy Brown.  No joke.  I just thought he was like her back-up dude or some shit like that...

Then when he came out with what I consider his best song, "Can't Knock the Hustle" with Mary J. Blige, I was taping songs off the radio and I had left the RECORD button on too long and accidentally taped that track after Do or Die "Po Pimp".  So it got left on the tape and I would always hear that song after I would listen to "Po Pimp" before I could get to the tape player and fast forward or rewind.

NOW THAT WAS HIS BEST SONG.  And I even used to fast forward over his shit.   And this was way before dude had HATERS.  Dude just sounded like a regular NY rapper, with very little charisma or originality to stand out from all the other golden age rappers of the mid-90's.

...so I always thought this dude was average at best.  I even bought his second album because I liked the joint "Sunshine" with Foxy Brown and I had a thing for Foxy Brown.  So I tried to listen to the album and I wasn't feeling it at all.   I was shocked when "Hard Knock Life" came out and dude was talking about retirement, and people were saying he was one of the greatest, and making a big deal about that shit like he was a legend or something... I couldn't believe it, and being so young I was stupid enough to buy into the hype a bit and pick up the album.  It sounded good one time through and then the second time through it was wack and I never bumped the album again after that.  

basically you listened to one jay z album one time 15 years ago and thats it. cool story hansel

The blood gang embraces Tupac as a member even if YOU dont.

doggfather

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 10:47:55 PM »
jay is ONE of the most overrated that's true.
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Jimmy H.

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2014, 11:39:09 PM »
It took me awhile to come around on him but Jay-Z makes great music.  Any artist that gets as many magazine covers and MTV play as him is going to be called "overrated" by quite a few.  That's the nature of the game.  Some will love, some will hate.  I think the guy has a nice catalog. 

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 05:32:21 AM »
It took me awhile to come around on him but Jay-Z makes great music.  Any artist that gets as many magazine covers and MTV play as him is going to be called "overrated" by quite a few.  That's the nature of the game.  Some will love, some will hate.  I think the guy has a nice catalog. 

Naw, fucc that.. read my post... I hated this FICCA before he ever made a magazine cover I thought he was Foxy's back up or somethin... Whereas the first time I heard a ficca like Pac or Snoop or Em or Nas or Andre3000, I said... "DAMN THAT FICCA IS THE TRUTH!"

...by the way. That quote is fuccing perfect for Jay, the one that 50 mentions.  They ought to put that shit on Jay's tombstone.  That's a great line and sums up what he is all about.  "I'd rather be over-rated/ than underpaid".  He ain't about the art or the respect, he's a marketing genius.  People get the game mixed up and they respect him cause of his business success, which no doubt he's a hell of a businessman nobody can take that away from him, he had to be to make so many dumb muthafuckaz believe he was a star

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2014, 12:29:55 PM »
I have to disagree. The Black Album, Blueprint and Reasonable Doubt are undisputed classics to me.

Has strong material outside of those three albums...and of course his absolute shit.

Nobody on the radio is good anymore. As far as rapping goes. It's about "sounding good" not rhyming good.

Jay is trying to stay relevant after 20 years of rapping and is not only relevant but viewed as upper echelon mainstream. That's awesome and props to him. You elitists who try to tear him down because you want to compare his bars post Black Album to someone who isn't completely sold out mainstream are wasting your time.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2014, 07:00:47 PM »
Naw, fucc that.. read my post... I hated this FICCA before he ever made a magazine cover I thought he was Foxy's back up or somethin... Whereas the first time I heard a ficca like Pac or Snoop or Em or Nas or Andre3000, I said... "DAMN THAT FICCA IS THE TRUTH!"
Well, great for you. Unfortunately, your initial opinion in this case equals up to jackshit on this one. You can feel any fucking way you want when it comes to Nas, Andre, Lil Wayne, Vanilla Ice, or anyone else.  Nobody is fucking wait around for your stamp of approval on what artists, it is okay to like and who is the truth? 

...by the way. That quote is fuccing perfect for Jay, the one that 50 mentions.  They ought to put that shit on Jay's tombstone.  That's a great line and sums up what he is all about.  "I'd rather be over-rated/ than underpaid".  He ain't about the art or the respect, he's a marketing genius. 
  I'd say Jay is just smarter than your average listener. He's hip to the game.  Most of these other rappers try very hard to be lyrical but all they're doing is spitting witty similes. I think as an artist, he's brighter and more honest than most but he's not doing the "fake prophet" bullshit and everybody wants that. When you listen to something like "Minority Report", there's accountability there. He brings up his shortcomings and hip-hops fans don't like that. They want everyone to be a false crusader and it doesn't fit for most. I think the rappers who spend one whole verse whining about "real hip-hop" and another doing uninspired similes about how lyrically awesome they are can be just as boring and played out as people who rap about cars, jewelry, and guns.

People get the game mixed up and they respect him cause of his business success, which no doubt he's a hell of a businessman nobody can take that away from him, he had to be to make so many dumb muthafuckaz believe he was a star
Not at all.  If anyone has the game mixed up, it's you.  He is a gifted businessman but he's also a strong artist.  You may not want to believe that because it forces you to reevaluate your own opinion but the guy is talented.  He makes music that resonates with people. Where is the trick in making people believe you are a star?  Being a star is more or less, dictated by the general public's perception so if you trick them into thinking you're a star, you are one.

Blood$

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2014, 10:20:37 PM »
Jay has more classic albums than 50 but I'd still say 50 is the better "rapper"

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2014, 12:43:15 AM »
name one banger Jay has in his whole career?  The only thing even remotely close to a banger is the "Black Republican" joint but that's only cause it was a Nas song.  "Renegades" was better with the Royce version.

Name a Jay solo that is a banger?  Name one.... I'm waiting...

doggfather

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2014, 12:54:30 AM »
hard knock life
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2014, 03:08:29 AM »
hard knock life

HAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAAHHAHHAHAAAAAAHHAAHHAHAAA  ;D ;D ;D

Nas - "I Can"  >>>>>>  Jay-Z "Hard Knock Life"  

...and that ain't even a BANGER for Nas.  That was just another nice song on the God's Son album.  A Banger would be a track on the level of "Last Real Nigga Alive".

« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 03:11:28 AM by ابرهم عبدالصمد »