Author Topic: Anybody else see Pujos walk into second and get thrown out?  (Read 287 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Man... I would be pissed if I was an Angels fan.  They paid this guy all this money and he freakin walks into second base and gets thrown out.  Then two batters later there is a home run.  Then to make it worse the Angels lose by 1 run.  That stings for Angels fans.

I've always had a problem with MLB players lack of hustle.  I don't see guys do that in the NfL and NBA.  It annoys me that they look into home plate while trying to steal a base or watch the ball instead of their base coaches.  These are the first things you learn in little league.

...but that play today with Pujos should be embarassing to the MLB.  What the hell was he doing, like tip toeing into the base.  He made an excuse after the game and said it was because of a growing pull but how does a growing pull prevent you from sliding?

Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Hack Wilson - real

Re: Anybody else see Pujos walk into second and get thrown out?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 04:49:25 AM »
he's no Joe Dimaggio

Remedy360

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 05:01:56 AM »
Man... I would be pissed if I was an Angels fan.  They paid this guy all this money and he freakin walks into second base and gets thrown out.  Then two batters later there is a home run.  Then to make it worse the Angels lose by 1 run.  That stings for Angels fans.

I've always had a problem with MLB players lack of hustle.  I don't see guys do that in the NfL and NBA.  It annoys me that they look into home plate while trying to steal a base or watch the ball instead of their base coaches.  These are the first things you learn in little league.

...but that play today with Pujos should be embarassing to the MLB.  What the hell was he doing, like tip toeing into the base.  He made an excuse after the game and said it was because of a growing pull but how does a growing pull prevent you from sliding?

What's a "growing pull"? Do you mean "groin pull"? And NBA players do slack off during the regular season, it's fairly common for teams not not go 100% over the long-haul. One of the reasons the NBA isn't appealing to a lot of people is because the players sometimes don't take regular season games that seriously. Baseball is the same in some instances, some guys aren't going to go all out every play, like Griffey who used to get some flack for not hauling ass down the first base line on routine ground balls. Would you like to see him do it? Sure, but when you're that valuable it's not the end of the world.  As far as the Pujols play, I didn't see it, so I can't speak on that specifically.

Edit: To me it looks like he was hurt, don't feel that was a lack of hustle. He shoulda made it, but I don't get the sense that he was just fucking around.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 05:14:17 AM by Remedy360 »

MistaNova

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 05:23:18 AM »
At this point in his career it's not that Pujols doesn't try anymore, it's just that he's old and injury prone so he's not taking any chances.

On a side note, if you gave it your all in baseball in every game, you'd more than likely hit the DL and miss some time due to an injury. We've all seen players charge their way to first base on a grounder, only to exit the game with a strained hamstring and go on the 15-day DL. When people say they want to see the players "hustle" what they're really saying is that they want the players to either hit the DL or be listed as day-to-day.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 05:50:10 AM »
At this point in his career it's not that Pujols doesn't try anymore, it's just that he's old and injury prone so he's not taking any chances.

On a side note, if you gave it your all in baseball in every game, you'd more than likely hit the DL and miss some time due to an injury. We've all seen players charge their way to first base on a grounder, only to exit the game with a strained hamstring and go on the 15-day DL. When people say they want to see the players "hustle" what they're really saying is that they want the players to either hit the DL or be listed as day-to-day.

U guys commenting have any of you actually seen the play?

I mean I get your point about avoiding injury, but there are also a lot of guys who do play hard everyday and manage to stay healthy.

MistaNova

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 06:13:24 AM »
I mean I get your point about avoiding injury, but there are also a lot of guys who do play hard everyday and manage to stay healthy.

Not really. Every player who always plays at 100% always gets hurt and either goes on the DL or the team takes special precaution with him.
Hence why you see so many players getting MRIs nowadays.

Remedy360

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 10:27:52 AM »

U guys commenting have any of you actually seen the play?

Yeah, I mean this is a guy that's had significant lower body issues the last few years, and if he had a groin injury I can see why it mess with his mobility. He shoulda found a way to make it,  but I'm not gonna put the guy on blast for it.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 02:10:25 PM »
I think it was okay when Migel Cabrera was swinging the bat like a triple crown winner last year, and he played thru injuries and he would jog around the bases....

I just think when you pay a guy what 200 million or whatever Pujos is getting paid... and he clearly hasn't delivered, and yesterday the Angels lose a one run game where this guy gets embarassed at second just before his teamate hits a bomb, and then the next inning he's up with the bases loaded and can't deliver, and an inning later the royals hit a walk-off for a 1-run win.

Its like they said in KC when Todd Haley was fired... they said you can be bad like Herm was and a great sportsman, or you can be good like Parcells is and be an asshole... but you can't be both.  Since getting his big money Pujos hasn't delivered with the bat like he should so when he acts like a superstar too good to slide into second it makes it worse.

Remedy360

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 07:18:27 PM »
I think it was okay when Migel Cabrera was swinging the bat like a triple crown winner last year, and he played thru injuries and he would jog around the bases....

I just think when you pay a guy what 200 million or whatever Pujos is getting paid... and he clearly hasn't delivered, and yesterday the Angels lose a one run game where this guy gets embarassed at second just before his teamate hits a bomb, and then the next inning he's up with the bases loaded and can't deliver, and an inning later the royals hit a walk-off for a 1-run win.

Its like they said in KC when Todd Haley was fired... they said you can be bad like Herm was and a great sportsman, or you can be good like Parcells is and be an asshole... but you can't be both.  Since getting his big money Pujos hasn't delivered with the bat like he should so when he acts like a superstar too good to slide into second it makes it worse.

Yeah, no doubt he's underperformed, I've never liked the guy in general. I just didn't really see this as him dogging it as much as just coming up gimpy.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 12:08:20 AM »

Yeah, no doubt he's underperformed, I've never liked the guy in general. I just didn't really see this as him dogging it as much as just coming up gimpy.

Just to be clear, I'm not speaking bad about Pujos the person, just Pujos the player... just because a guy doesn't hustle doesn't make him a bad guy in general.  Pujos is actually from the KC area and he's the same age as me.  So some of my friends here that were good enough to play in the competition leagues got to play against him back in the day and I never heard anyone say anything bad about him.  They all seemed to like him.