Author Topic: NEW LAKERS HEAD COACH  (Read 878 times)

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
Re: NEW LAKERS HEAD COACH
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2014, 01:26:37 PM »
My problem with this is that it was three years too late. We fucking needed a safe, generic coach like Scott back when we had actual talent. Our last two retarded ass coaches tried way too hard to think outside of the box and didn't know how to utilize our talent worth shit. Especially D'Antoni.
Truth.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2014, 01:59:48 PM »
I do agree this is 3 years too late, but I'd also say this is what's needed now. This Laker team is not like the Cavs of the last 4 years that Scott. The first year he didn't even have Irving and the next two he only had Irving and players off the D-League. He was set up to fail so the Cavs can get lottery picks, and then fired. He was originally hired because the Cavs thought he could help LeBron stay in Cleveland. Everything about the time period he was hired was about LeBron. But I'd not call Scott a generic coach at all. This is a man who has proven he can get the most out of talent, especially young talent. In 2002, he led Jason Kidd, Kerry Kittles and Kenyon Martin to the Finals. Aside from Kidd, that was a very tall order. Not one player on that team averaged more than 15ppg. The next year the Nets improved greatly when they got to the Finals, and you had 3 players average more than 15ppg and some young players emerge, and they even pushed the Spurs to a 6 game final. Of course Kidd and Scott didn't get along, but it's been proven over and over again that Jason Kidd is an asshole, ask his wife, the Nets and everywhere he burnt a bridge.

Scott in NO took over a losing team, going 18-64 his first season, and built them up to a 49-33 record his last season. They fired him after a slow start because they thought Chris Paul would like that, but Paul was a HUGE supporter of Scott's and that started his push to get out of NO. Basically Jeff Bower thought he could takeover as coach and get the credit for pushing the team to higher levels after Scott built that team from the bottom up, and Bower fell flat on his face as NO finished with a losing record and a pissed off CP3.

I have followed Byron Scott's coaching career. He is far more than a generic coach. Aside from Jason Kidd, he has built great relationships with his point guards, he has developed players to bring out their best and when given just a little bit of talent, he can take them to the playoffs. In Cleveland, he was given a team that was meant to tank the season twice in order to get high lotto picks. It's unfair to judge him by his record in Cleveland. Scott may run a "normal" NBA scheme by using pick and rolls on offense and focusing on defense, but it's Scott's ability to relate to his PG's and use them as the coach on the court role that helps him. Along with developing players and getting the most out of them, Scott has done well and improved every team he's been to; unless the owner is purposely trying to tank a season or 3.

Sccit

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2014, 03:28:31 PM »
yup...just look at how much worse kyrie irving looked witout scott

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2014, 05:50:32 PM »
yeah, enjoy Kobe sucking 24 mill a year the next 2 years to be injured most of the time
Just one more year. The deal started last season.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2014, 06:06:03 PM »
If Kobe averages 28 a game somehow & plays all 82 games, the Lakers would still be lucky to be the 7-8 seed.

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2014, 06:56:58 PM »
yeah, enjoy Kobe sucking 24 mill a year the next 2 years to be injured most of the time
The deal was signed last year, but it was an extension. His contract was already set to expire at the end of the year. The new contract runs until the end of the 2015-16 season.

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2014, 07:02:24 PM »
I do agree this is 3 years too late, but I'd also say this is what's needed now.
No doubt. It's just frustrating watching the Lakers finally do what they should of already done years ago. Instead, Jim decided he wanted to hire his own man since he was so paranoid about having his own legacy.

Sccit

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2014, 07:21:19 PM »
If Kobe averages 28 a game somehow & plays all 82 games, the Lakers would still be lucky to be the 7-8 seed.

lmao

Sccit

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2014, 07:21:48 PM »

Wrong

Sccit

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2014, 07:22:45 PM »
I do agree this is 3 years too late, but I'd also say this is what's needed now.
No doubt. It's just frustrating watching the Lakers finally do what they should of already done years ago. Instead, Jim decided he wanted to hire his own man since he was so paranoid about having his own legacy.

Better late than never

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2014, 10:09:30 PM »

Wrong
My bad -- that one went over my head.  He just signed it before the 2013-2014 season kicked off, not to include that year.