Author Topic: What are all the Doggystyle Leftovers ?  (Read 1999 times)

WestSideDon

What are all the Doggystyle Leftovers ?
« on: August 24, 2014, 04:56:34 PM »
So just asked myself this question today while i was bumping some of the death row lost sessions & chronic re lit tracks.
On wikipedia it lists "Gz Up Hoez Down", "Tha Next Episode", "Doggystyle", "The Root Of All Evil" & "Every Single Day" as leftovers/cut tracks.
But there are more tracks which could have been intended for doggystyle at one point, like "Smoke On" from "The Chronic Re-Lit" or more recently that unreleased track "Every Dogg Has His Day" with Kurupt (since it was also produced by Dre there is a possibility that it was once intended for the album, maybe ts not the finished/final version that leaked) and some more....
So what do you think ? Any more tracks that come to mind ? Would be nice if we could create a lil list here....

Doggystyle Leftover Tracks:

-"Tha Next Episode" (feat. Dr. Dre)
-"Gz Up, Hoez Down" (feat. Hug)
-"Doggystyle" (feat. Jewell & George Clinton)
-"Every Single Day" (feat. Kurupt & Nate Dogg)
-"The Root Of All Evil (Outro)" (feat. Teena Marie)

« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 07:18:12 AM by WestSideDon »

Hack Wilson - real

Re: What are all the Doggystyle Leftovers ?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 05:17:58 PM »
i think smoke on was recorded in the chronic era

and poor young dave was post doggystyle incase anyone mentions it

HighEyeCue

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 05:30:25 PM »
don't know for sure but maybe a couple of these

Fallin Asleep on Death Row
Eat A Dicc
Doggystyle

dnjp4life

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 01:52:28 AM »
I would doubt that 'Every Dogg Has His Day' was intended for the album.  It's clearly just two freestyled verses by Kurupt and Snoop, and the beat is not fleshed out at all, and not in keeping with Dr. Dre's sound for the album.
'Eat A Dicc' was probably going to be put on there, but it obviously morphed into both 'Doggy Dogg World' and 'Serial Killa'.
Other than the songs listed already, I can't think of any more leftovers at the moment.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 03:22:23 AM by dnjp4life »

WestSideDon

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 07:25:15 AM »
I would doubt that 'Every Dogg Has His Day' was intended for the album.  It's clearly just two freestyled verses by Kurupt and Snoop, and the beat is not fleshed out at all, and not in keeping with Dr. Dre's sound for the album.
'Eat A Dicc' was probably going to be put on there, but it obviously morphed into both 'Doggy Dogg World' and 'Serial Killa'.
Other than the songs listed already, I can't think of any more leftovers at the moment.

Yeah, but thats why i said that maybe a finished version was intended for the album. Maybe Dre had done this "demo/unfinished" version of the beat and snoop & kurupt just experimented and freestyled on it a bit, and dre was about to work on the beat to finish it/make it fit with the albums sound and snoop & kurupt were also about to write down some verses but somehow it didn't happen/didn't leak in this version...

And @Hack
How you know that "Nigga Named Dave" wasn't intended for the album ? I've heard so much about this being an early version of MWTC with the DeathAfterVisualizingEternity hinting at this, and Snoop sounds and flows great on it, could only imagine it was made during the chronic sessions but i still somehow believe this song had something to do with Doggystyle...

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 08:53:58 AM »
Has anyone got a CDQ of that track Snoop did with LV?

Mr Wicked

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • way more karma than posts
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 10:51:00 AM »
Has anyone got a CDQ of that track Snoop did with LV?

check your pm

-----------------------------------------------------------

I agree with pretty much all of the mentioned songs in here
except "Every Dogg Has His Day" a.k.a. "Misery 2", that song was recorded in 1994 so doesn't fit into the time scheme

another one to mention is the unleaked "God Don't Like Ugly", it's a gospel style song
it has been confirmed by Snoop interviews and the DR court docs

and "Doggystyle" is of course a leftover (it's the title track, duh) been confirmed in a Tony Green interview too (who is the singer on the song, not George Clinton which he was confused with alot of times)

WestSideDon

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 12:35:07 PM »
except "Every Dogg Has His Day" a.k.a. "Misery 2", that song was recorded in 1994 so doesn't fit into the time scheme

Interesting info, where you got this from ?

another one to mention is the unleaked "God Don't Like Ugly", it's a gospel style song
it has been confirmed by Snoop interviews and the DR court docs

Never heard of that before, but I don't think a gospel like song was intended for Doggystyle, absolutely wouldn't fit with the sound of the album.

and "Doggystyle" is of course a leftover (it's the title track, duh) been confirmed in a Tony Green interview too (who is the singer on the song, not George Clinton which he was confused with alot of times)

Sure it's not George Clinton on it ? Considering Snoops good relationship with Clinton and also his status as one of the godfathers of funk music, i doubt he would prefer someone else over one of his idols...

And for something different:
Can anyone here tell me something about the song "Gangsta Shit" with Kurupt that was on the "Dayz On Death Row" bootleg ?

The JASON MRSA

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 12:50:06 PM »
There are always leftovers but I wouldn't trust Wiki.

Mr Wicked

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 02:21:01 PM »

Interesting info, where you got this from ?

the lyrics, duh
Snoop: "Yeah, 1-9-9-4..."

Sure it's not George Clinton on it ? Considering Snoops good relationship with Clinton and also his status as one of the godfathers of funk music, i doubt he would prefer someone else over one of his idols...

Yes, very sure, George Clinton only did the intro for Snoop on the album
you should really find out who Tony Green is if you don't know him
Tony Green worked with The Dramatics back in the day, he played bass on alot of Death Row songs
I think he was actually the guy who got George Clinton in contact with Dre/Snoop
he did some great interviews lately
there are some on the bomb1st youtube channel

jmix also did one with him, you should find his videos on the right side on youtube (his channel is jessesurratt)
and there was some guy from Detroit who did a video interview with him
in one of those interviews he mentions that it is actually him on the "Doggystyle" song not George Clinton
and that alot of people mistake him for George on that one

And for something different:
Can anyone here tell me something about the song "Gangsta Shit" with Kurupt that was on the "Dayz On Death Row" bootleg ?

Gangsta Shit (Do Unto Others)
Produced by DJ Quik
Recorded in 1998

WestSideDon

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 02:29:47 PM »
I know who Tony Green is but until now i only knew about him playing the Bass on almost all of the dr releases and his involvement with the dramatics, but didn't know tha he also sung on songs such as this one.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 02:31:36 PM by WestSideDon »

Mr Wicked

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 02:31:46 PM »
There are always leftovers but I wouldn't trust Wiki.

if there are no sources for the information you are right sir, anybody can write something on wiki
but in that case wikipedia is correct
"Gz Up Hoez Down" was on the first press
"Tha Next Episode" was on early tracklists
"Doggystyle" been confirmed in interviews
"The Root Of All Evil" is the unreleased outro, the trackname was known before the song actually came out
"Every Single Day" snoop said in the radio interview where this was played for the first time that it was an early song for his first album

Mr Wicked

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 02:36:37 PM »
I know who Tony Green is but until now i only knew about him playing the Bass on almost all of the dr releases and his involvement with the dramatics, but didn't know tha he also sung on songs such as this one.

that's the only one I know of that he actually sung on
he's also one of the guys who talk on the intro of "Smoke On"
think he did some more background vocals on Doggystyle songs, can't remember right now

marcin1712

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2014, 02:47:38 PM »
could someone send it for me?

nd for something different:

Gangsta Shit (Do Unto Others)
Produced by DJ Quik
Recorded in 1998

Will_B

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2014, 10:33:36 PM »
The dudes who hold all the recording dates for the death row sessions would be able to tell you *exactly* what's what