Author Topic: is DJ Paul right: "I don’t see anything getting rid of Southern Hip Hop" ?  (Read 585 times)

Hack Wilson - real

"In the Hip Hip Terrordome article, DJ Paul also discussed the South’s status in Rap.

“Southern Hip Hop is here to stay,” he said. "Southern Hip Hop has been kicking ass since like ’97. It’s great because we got some other legends and good guys who help us keep this thing alive. Its great. I don’t see anything getting rid of Southern Hip Hop because everyone sounds like the South now.”"

quotes taken from http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.28294/title.da-mafia-6ix-working-on-album-with-insane-clown-posse

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
t.i. - paperwork: the motion picture - 10.21.14  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
its true...the south is in hip hops earliest roots.

james brown samples...its always been there. theres never been a time the south was NOT running hip hop even if they would have you believe otherwise during different decades. in the 90s suge would have traded his royce to have the paper master p seen. in the 80s james brown samples was the very essence of hip hop 00s eastcoast had to share marketspace with the south (anything that came out that wasnt affiliated with up in smoke tour didnt go far from the westcoast) 2010s to present the south is running shit.

the south has always been about keeping the money the east and west alwasy had to run to def jam or some shit to get a fraction the money they actually made.

snoop put cali back on with a missisisspi accent.

Hack Wilson - real

east ran hip hop until the Chronic dropped in my opinion.

then west rap hip hop until Pac died.  then east took back over for a few years and then the south started taking over in the 2000's at some point.   don't forget G Unit had the east coast as the hottest thing in the early 2000's....as well as Nas, Jay Z and (somehow) Ja rule lol

after awhile though the south, mostly by way of wack ass rappers, took over

the best southern rappers to me are dudes like Scarface, Mystikal, Bun B, Pimp C, UNLV, 3 6 Mafia, Skinny Pimp, 8 ball and mjg etc.     rappers who put in lots of work before they got famous  (minus UNLV who got fucked over by Birdman)

the rappers from the south who ARe famous?  dudes like lil wayne, young jeezy, rick ross, wacka flocka, gucci, birdman, TI and oj da juiceman.  go figure.

ps:  the midwest has never ran shit despite having dominant acts like Eminem, Bone Thugs, MC Breed, Royce da 5'9, ICP, Kid Rock, Atmosphere etc.     sad because Detroit is the 2nd best rap city in rap history (outside NYC).  but what can ya say.

KrazySumwhat

east ran hip hop until the Chronic dropped in my opinion.

then west rap hip hop until Pac died.  then east took back over for a few years and then the south started taking over in the 2000's at some point.   don't forget G Unit had the east coast as the hottest thing in the early 2000's....as well as Nas, Jay Z and (somehow) Ja rule lol

after awhile though the south, mostly by way of wack ass rappers, took over

the best southern rappers to me are dudes like Scarface, Mystikal, Bun B, Pimp C, UNLV, 3 6 Mafia, Skinny Pimp, 8 ball and mjg etc.     rappers who put in lots of work before they got famous  (minus UNLV who got fucked over by Birdman)

the rappers from the south who ARe famous?  dudes like lil wayne, young jeezy, rick ross, wacka flocka, gucci, birdman, TI and oj da juiceman.  go figure.

ps:  the midwest has never ran shit despite having dominant acts like Eminem, Bone Thugs, MC Breed, Royce da 5'9, ICP, Kid Rock, Atmosphere etc.     sad because Detroit is the 2nd best rap city in rap history (outside NYC).  but what can ya say.
Agreed.
 East had their moments, West had their moments. I think there were moments where they were both fairly equal also. At first i thought the south was really just the odd group that had their own style and i thought that alot of south was kind of similar to west, i mean more like west than they were like east.
 My early memory of South rap, apart from say the ghetto boyz, 2 live crew and outcast was that most south rappers rapped fast and they did a lot o fdark style hip hop.
 Then i just remember no limit releasing fifty million albums and the cash money dudes and then it just seemed that south took over and never went away and then everyone started sounding south and its proven to not just be a phase.
 I mean you always has west dudes that sounded more east coast(like souls of mischief or raskass, etc) and i guess east started doing west style stuff when gangsta rap was big but i dont know what it is about the southern style that just wont go out of fashion and has pretty much everyone going for that sound on at least one track on every album. Old vets and new up and coming artists?
 Dosent seem like its ever going anywhere.
 Cant say that Ive heard many Local rappers here doing that but as far as America even Aussies like Iggy doin it.

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
naw the east had the respect but west got over waaaaaaaaaay before chronic dropped.

ice cube solos, ice t album, tone loc, young mc, digital underground, eazy e mc hammer all seen HUGE success seeing platinum and gold albums /singles

and while ja rule was putting his thing down and g unit you had the emergence of lil jon ying yang luda fucked shit up!!! before this happened though in the mid late  90s the south was making more money regionally then eastcoast niggas was nationally.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 11:40:46 PM by GLOCK RIVERS »

Hack Wilson - real

yeah iggy azalea being famous just baffles my mind

daytondanger

I think
i thought
i thought alot
i mean more
i just
I mean always
i guess stuff
i dont know
Ive heard it.

EFFeX

Why would southern Hip Hop go anywhere? The south has been dropping hits for years.

Hack Wilson - real

Why would southern Hip Hop go anywhere? The south has been dropping hits for years.

nothing lasts forever.  people once thought the Roman empire would last forever.

KrazySumwhat

Re: is DJ Paul right: "I don’t see anything getting rid of Southern Hip Hop" ?
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2014, 03:18:22 PM »

I think
i thought
i thought alot
i mean more
i just
I mean always
i guess stuff
i dont know
Ive heard it.

Good to see that Heinz continues to contribute to the boards.

bouli77

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2014, 03:24:23 PM »
the south has always had a strong presence in hip hop. in the 80's Mannie Fresh was already doing his thing, so was Rap-a-Lot. commercially, they reached their peak in the 00's but artistically their prime was in the 90's pretty much everywhere : ATL (Outkast, Goodie Mob), Memphis (36M, Playa Fly, Tommy Wright III, 8ball & MJG), H-Town (Geto Boys, Big Mello, Screwed Up Click, South Park Coalition, Street Military), New Orleans (Big Boy Records, Parners N Crime, Black Menace, No Limit Records, Cash Money), etc.

I don't think hip hop will die down anywhere, and the south is still as vibrant as it once was, it's just the agenda the mainstream is pushing which fucks it all up. back in the day mainstream music meant quality music, despite what some people might have said at the time (i.e. east coast critics), musically the south was on another level. nowadays, everything is watered down and they try to cut as much cost as possible so you'll get shitty beat and shitty soulless music to try to emulate what a&r think are hot and are palatable for the youth.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2014, 03:40:46 PM »
the south has always had a strong presence in hip hop. in the 80's Mannie Fresh was already doing his thing, so was Rap-a-Lot. commercially, they reached their peak in the 00's but artistically their prime was in the 90's pretty much everywhere : ATL (Outkast, Goodie Mob), Memphis (36M, Playa Fly, Tommy Wright III, 8ball & MJG), H-Town (Geto Boys, Big Mello, Screwed Up Click, South Park Coalition, Street Military), New Orleans (Big Boy Records, Parners N Crime, Black Menace, No Limit Records, Cash Money), etc.

I don't think hip hop will die down anywhere, and the south is still as vibrant as it once was, it's just the agenda the mainstream is pushing which fucks it all up. back in the day mainstream music meant quality music, despite what some people might have said at the time (i.e. east coast critics), musically the south was on another level. nowadays, everything is watered down and they try to cut as much cost as possible so you'll get shitty beat and shitty soulless music to try to emulate what a&r think are hot and are palatable for the youth.

if by "doing his thing in the 80s" you mean "Manny fresh made music" you'd be correct.  but he was never really shit until Cash money scooped him up to work with UNLV around '93.  Manny was one of the more under rated producers in the mid 90's but lets not act like he was on the level of Dre or Premo or Large Professor

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2014, 04:01:29 PM »
not true man. im almost sure him and gregory dee was signed to a major and dropped a project

did you know manny fresh toured with too short and pac? did you know johnny j schooled him on the mpc?

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2014, 04:24:07 PM »
not true man. im almost sure him and gregory dee was signed to a major and dropped a project

Yo! Records Inc.
5757 Alpha Road #306
Dallas, Texas 75240
(214) 934-8272
(Contact info now obsolete)

lol that's what i found from discogs