Author Topic: DJ Quik Spent $100K on Midnight Life + Other Things He Said in NYC  (Read 1454 times)

Mista Rosa

Re: DJ Quik Spent $100K on Midnight Life + Other Things He Said in NYC
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2014, 01:20:48 PM »
Thanks for the info, especially the Mausberg's related ones !
I wish the Mausberg dedication track would surface someday in CDQ ! Love that one !
Aah would have been nice to ask if Quik would let the die hard fans listen to some of the unreleased Mausberg's material he has...
You didn't catch any info on Free's Sreet Gospel part 2 ?
"There's one more thing I'd really like for you to do, never leave me alone..."

Mr. Theo

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2014, 06:06:01 AM »
DJ QUIK PERFORMING "FUCK ALL NIGHT" IN NYC, PEEP THIS DOPE VIDEO!

http://telly.com/1OVNGA8

I dedicate this upload to Mr. Theo and Matty, two people on this forum who have shared a lot of dope DJ Quik material with us over the years.

Chuuuuuuuch!!!!!!

KASHIF N' QUIK   MY FAVORITES MUSICIANS ALL TIME #RIPKASHIF

T-o-m

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2014, 01:34:34 PM »
DJ Quik performed in NYC on Tuesday and tore down the place. I was there and I got to talk to Quik at the meet & greet after the show - he kicked it with his fans for like a half hour, talking a gang of shit, smoking weed, and just being a humble, intelligent dude. He really enjoyed talking with his fans and answering questions. I heard him say a few things that people on this forum might want to know:

1. He said he spent $100K on the Midnight Life. He doesn't give a fuck about sales or profit. He made this album to give back, not to make money.

2. Quik said he's planning to make an album of entirely Jazz music some day. He's been learning guitar from Bacon and Saadiq and thinks he's getting damn good at it. Quik is playing guitar on Life Jacket.

3. He said his producer friends didn't like Trauma, because of its simpler beats, so he got super musical on Book of David and Midnight Life as a way to show them that he still has it. 

4. Quik explained that he made Quik's Groove III for aliens, to let em know what earth music is supposed to sound like.

5. I told Quik that his fans love the Mausberg dedication - told him that the beat is beautiful and we all want it in CDQ. He said "thank you man, Mausberg was beautiful." He then told me that Theo is the only person who has the DAT, and that Theo has dropped off the face of the earth. He even erased himself from Wikipedia. But if anyone can track down Theo, he has all the afternoon drive drops in CDQ. Quik told me that he could probably recreate the beat from memory, though, so not all is lost.

6. Bunch of fans were telling him that Rhyhth-m-alism is his best album. Quik said he loves it too. He said that Whateva U Do was a dope song because it was him and all of his musicians he was working with having fun on one track. He said it was about a girl who kept ignoring him - he made this song to make her listen. He said she came around and acknowledged him eventually, which made him feel human finally. Quik is a funny dude.

Wow I can relate so much to those points, thanks for sharing the stories.
1. this is really unheard of and god bless for doing this, everybody get ur copies of midnight life in stores 2mo
2. I felt Life Jacket from the first spin, guitar is very dope instrument and so rarely heard in HH, just like sax and flute
4. lmao, its really on whole another level, I see its not only my own favourite;)
5. he should do it one day, tracks like this deserve to be released officially so no1 can sleep on this lol
6. Whateva U Do is Quik's opus magnum in my eyes, so is Rhyth-m-alism - I love it so much because of all the different instruments used in the track, just amazing. Vocally its great as well.

makaveliapostle

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2014, 03:07:58 PM »
MOB, thanks for sharing all this information.  that's fucking awesome.  you're a lucky man to have kicked it with quik.  nice going  8)

Elko.

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2014, 12:50:04 AM »

5. I told Quik that his fans love the Mausberg dedication - told him that the beat is beautiful and we all want it in CDQ. He said "thank you man, Mausberg was beautiful." He then told me that Theo is the only person who has the DAT, and that Theo has dropped off the face of the earth. He even erased himself from Wikipedia. But if anyone can track down Theo, he has all the afternoon drive drops in CDQ. Quik told me that he could probably recreate the beat from memory, though, so not all is lost.

First of all, thank you for sharing this with us. I'm sure he rocked the show.

About Theo, one day I think those DATs will surface. They have to.  Chillin' At The Top Of My Treehouse NEEDS to be heard in CDQ haha