Author Topic: DJ Quik Spent $100K on Midnight Life + Other Things He Said in NYC  (Read 1453 times)

MOBNigga06

DJ Quik performed in NYC on Tuesday and tore down the place. I was there and I got to talk to Quik at the meet & greet after the show - he kicked it with his fans for like a half hour, talking a gang of shit, smoking weed, and just being a humble, intelligent dude. He really enjoyed talking with his fans and answering questions. I heard him say a few things that people on this forum might want to know:

1. He said he spent $100K on the Midnight Life. He doesn't give a fuck about sales or profit. He made this album to give back, not to make money.

2. Quik said he's planning to make an album of entirely Jazz music some day. He's been learning guitar from Bacon and Saadiq and thinks he's getting damn good at it. Quik is playing guitar on Life Jacket.

3. He said his producer friends didn't like Trauma, because of its simpler beats, so he got super musical on Book of David and Midnight Life as a way to show them that he still has it. 

4. Quik explained that he made Quik's Groove III for aliens, to let em know what earth music is supposed to sound like.

5. I told Quik that his fans love the Mausberg dedication - told him that the beat is beautiful and we all want it in CDQ. He said "thank you man, Mausberg was beautiful." He then told me that Theo is the only person who has the DAT, and that Theo has dropped off the face of the earth. He even erased himself from Wikipedia. But if anyone can track down Theo, he has all the afternoon drive drops in CDQ. Quik told me that he could probably recreate the beat from memory, though, so not all is lost.

6. Bunch of fans were telling him that Rhyhth-m-alism is his best album. Quik said he loves it too. He said that Whateva U Do was a dope song because it was him and all of his musicians he was working with having fun on one track. He said it was about a girl who kept ignoring him - he made this song to make her listen. He said she came around and acknowledged him eventually, which made him feel human finally. Quik is a funny dude.

The most GAMED UP poster on DubCC.

Member of Bloods.

Money over Bitches.

MOBNigga06

Re: DJ Quik Spent $100K on Midnight Life + Other Things He Said in NYC
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 08:45:19 PM »

DJ Quik and Black Tone chilling at the meet & greet in NYC.

Member of Bloods.

Money over Bitches.

gfunkin2

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 08:47:21 PM »
Nice info man. Yeah RIP Mausberg in CDQ would be incredible.

Nutty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 10:53:58 PM »
Sweet.....jealous, lol.

Man, looking forward to this album.

Davizz

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Keep It Fonky
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 12:34:08 AM »
Thanks a lot for this info!
4. ahahah.. I agree with Quik!

Mr. Theo

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 05:53:52 AM »
DJ Quik performed in NYC on Tuesday and tore down the place. I was there and I got to talk to Quik at the meet & greet after the show - he kicked it with his fans for like a half hour, talking a gang of shit, smoking weed, and just being a humble, intelligent dude. He really enjoyed talking with his fans and answering questions. I heard him say a few things that people on this forum might want to know:

1. He said he spent $100K on the Midnight Life. He doesn't give a fuck about sales or profit. He made this album to give back, not to make money.

2. Quik said he's planning to make an album of entirely Jazz music some day. He's been learning guitar from Bacon and Saadiq and thinks he's getting damn good at it. Quik is playing guitar on Life Jacket.

3. He said his producer friends didn't like Trauma, because of its simpler beats, so he got super musical on Book of David and Midnight Life as a way to show them that he still has it.  

4. Quik explained that he made Quik's Groove III for aliens, to let em know what earth music is supposed to sound like.

5. I told Quik that his fans love the Mausberg dedication - told him that the beat is beautiful and we all want it in CDQ. He said "thank you man, Mausberg was beautiful." He then told me that Theo is the only person who has the DAT, and that Theo has dropped off the face of the earth. He even erased himself from Wikipedia. But if anyone can track down Theo, he has all the afternoon drive drops in CDQ. Quik told me that he could probably recreate the beat from memory, though, so not all is lost.

6. Bunch of fans were telling him that Rhyhth-m-alism is his best album. Quik said he loves it too. He said that Whateva U Do was a dope song because it was him and all of his musicians he was working with having fun on one track. He said it was about a girl who kept ignoring him - he made this song to make her listen. He said she came around and acknowledged him eventually, which made him feel human finally. Quik is a funny dude.

Hey! MobNigga! nice info man ..thanks 4 sharing..you is a lucky guy..kickin with Quik 4 a half hour

1- Quik is right, record sales don't matter...the priority is good music..100k?? Wow !!

2-If Quik will put a jazz album, Rob Bacon..Kenneth Crouch..Terrace Martin..Ron Townsend  should be in it!

3- Trauma is simple but genius...listen when they play Black Mercedez or Fandango on 93.5 Kday..is dope musiccompared with the other music from the same period (2005-2006)! "IndisCretionz on The Back of The Limo" iz martian music.

4-Quik's Groove III is the best...the Quik's Groove on Book Of David is good too.

5- We should make a petition to Theo liberate the CDQ of all Radio Drops!! Hey Dubcnn site administrators, try to contact Theo from a special series..every friday..a CDQ of 92.3 The Beat drops released on the site. Good Right??  8)

6- Would "Whateva U Do" a modern serenade? HAUHAUHEHAA

Thanks again 4 the info homie
Peace!!!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 05:57:27 AM by Mr. Theo »

KASHIF N' QUIK   MY FAVORITES MUSICIANS ALL TIME #RIPKASHIF

MOBNigga06

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 07:38:09 AM »
I forgot, one other thing Quik said:

A fan asked him why he made Well on Balance & Options and then released it as Oh Well on Under tha Influence. Quik said he was trying to leave the streets behind around the time he made Balance and Options, but a ton of bullshit and drama pulled him back - so he felt like "Oh Well, I tried to be good, but it didn't work." He said that the murder of Mausberg was a real victory for the devil. He described how it was the fourth of July and there were fireworks going off and people having a good time outside, but meanwhile, Mausberg was dead. He said it was cinematic and eery.

Quik talked a lot of real shit, he's a real nigga.

Member of Bloods.

Money over Bitches.

Diggfinger

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 01:16:19 PM »

His friends didnt like Trauma? Quik produced the fuck outta that record 8) 8) too bad the lyrics were a bit overly negative…kindda makes it lose some replayability...

MOBNigga06

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 08:06:02 PM »
One more notable thing Quik said in NYC:

During the show, he performed Dollaz & Sense and the crowd was really into it, so Quik got into like he really hated Eiht. Then after the song he said "Actually, y'all, I'm cool with MC Eiht now, but y'all made that record go double platinum so I have no choice but to keep performing it." HAHA

Member of Bloods.

Money over Bitches.

jones5099

• 'G'
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 08:27:19 PM »
I almost went to this show, but I couldn't make it  :-\

Did he perform with a band? or was it just him and his dj on stage?

LAC/EASTSIDE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • BORN AND RAISED IN THE SC to BG
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2014, 08:29:41 PM »
Lucky Bastard!  8)
"Ask me why I'm high and my reply, till the day I die. Don't want to picture this cold world with sober eyes"

Pushinbigbody00

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • RIP DJ SCREW / FREE TWISTED BLACK
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2014, 08:52:23 PM »
Great info!
check out my 90's vinyl bargain bin..tons of classics & rare ish for the low!

http://www.discogs.com/seller/pusherman972

MOBNigga06

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2014, 09:54:21 PM »
http://telly.com/embed.php?guid=1OVNEK4&autoplay=0

Here's a video I took of DJ Quik performing Life Jacket in NYC.

DOPE SHIT!

http://telly.com/1OVNEHO

And here's a video of Quik dancing to Let's Get Down…Quik got some moves, y'all. He's really feeling this song.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 10:09:35 PM by MOBNigga06 »

Member of Bloods.

Money over Bitches.

MOBNigga06

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2014, 10:02:02 PM »
I almost went to this show, but I couldn't make it  :-\

Did he perform with a band? or was it just him and his dj on stage?

It was just him and his DJ on stage. Quik didn't even have a bodyguard with him - just his homie Black Tone and a dude named Roscoe (not the brother of Kurupt).

Member of Bloods.

Money over Bitches.

MOBNigga06

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2014, 08:57:12 AM »
DJ QUIK PERFORMING "FUCK ALL NIGHT" IN NYC, PEEP THIS DOPE VIDEO!

http://telly.com/1OVNGA8

I dedicate this upload to Mr. Theo and Matty, two people on this forum who have shared a lot of dope DJ Quik material with us over the years.

Member of Bloods.

Money over Bitches.