Author Topic: PACQUAIO'S LAWYER SAYS BOB ARUM IS BLOCKING THE MAYWEATHER FIGHT  (Read 1365 times)

Sccit

http://thaboxingvoice.com/pacquiao-...-blocking-the-mayweather-pacquiao-fight/37626

Many people have felt that the main reason there has not been a fight between Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao has been due to Pacquiao’s promoter, Bob Arum. In a report by Fighthype.com, Pacquiao’s lawyer and Chief of Staff Franklin “Jeng” Gacal believes this to be true.

In the report the lawyer stated through a representative, “In Vegas from the 30th-Jan 3rd and would love a chance to sit with MM [Money Mayweather] and bring the truth back to MP [Manny Pacquiao], so MP will know it has been Koncz and Bob blocking all along.”

http://www.fighthype.com/news/article15895.html

In a recent interview, Manny Pacquiao's long-time Filipino lawyer, Franklin Gacal, raised a number of eyebrows after urging promoter Bob Arum to release the multi-division world champion from his contractual obligations. Responsible for reviewing all of Pacquiao's contracts, both in and out of the ring, Gacal has long-been considered one of the closest confidants of the fighting congressman from Sarangani, who named him his Chief of Staff after his election. To the surprise of many, Gacal revealed that he has never seen Pacquiao's current contract with Top Rank thanks to adviser Michael Koncz, who apparently kept it hidden from him.

"The current contract [between Top Rank and Pacquiao] was never shown to me. Mike hid it from me. He did not show the contract to me.

He did not inform me. I told Mike, 'You know that it is for the best interest of Manny that no contract should be signed for the moment because apparently that is what Floyd [Mayweather] wants or his condition," explained Gacal, who is currently recovering from a stroke that left him paralyzed on the right side of his body.

He also pointed the finger at Koncz for the current tax issues that Pacquiao is going through. "Well, it appears there is really a problem. The IRS is claiming there is a tax deficiency. If there were some mistakes, it was Mike's fault. Why did it happen? They were supposed to have hired accountants. At the end of the year, after the filing of the tax returns, all problems should have been solved.

If the US still has claims, there should be problems with recording and everything. So this is the point man's fault and that is Mike"

Gacal also suggested that Koncz may not have Pacquiao's best interest at heart and is more concerned about maintaining good relations with Arum. "Mike looks up to Bob Arum when Pacquiao is done with boxing. When Pacquiao is done, who is he? So he has to maintain his good relations with Bob Arum," Gacal continued in an interview with Edwin Espejo of Rappler.com.9

He went on to explain why Pacquiao has kept Koncz around for so long. "Manny is a good man. If you show him loyalty and you really work for him, you will be rewarded. Steal from him 10 times and asked for forgiveness once, he will forgive you 11 times."

It seems now, even members of Pacquiao's inner circle agree with what Alex Ariza first told FightHype readers over two years ago; that Bob Arum and Michael Koncz are preventing a mega-fight between Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao from taking place. "For this fight, Arum should not be involved. That is the only way for the fight to happen. Everybody wants the fight. Bob should give way if that is the only way. That is the advice I can give to Manny for now," Gacal added.

damn

Hack Wilson - real

Re: PACQUAIO'S LAWYER SAYS BOB ARUM IS BLOCKING THE MAYWEATHER FIGHT
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 02:59:50 PM »
 :grumpy: greedy

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 07:34:27 PM »
Not surprised. Arum comes from an era were him and Don King refused to work together in order to protect their fighters and insure they only lose to fighters that they can make money off of later.

Sccit

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 09:01:29 PM »
they are literally retarded for not makin this shit happen by now

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 12:53:16 AM »
The funny thing is, the majority of that is about Michael Koncz doing shady things, not Bob Arum.

At the same time, I'm not going to expect an attorney whose practice is based out of the Philippines to best represent someone in interests taking place in the US (or at least based out of it), unless they have also passed the bar exam stateside.

Remedy360

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 02:01:39 PM »
they are literally retarded for not makin this shit happen by now

That's why boxing is shit compared to MMA when it comes to pro fighting. As a casual fan of both BS like the consensus top two fighters ducking each other for years doesn't happen.

Sccit

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 11:02:02 AM »
bottom line, some1 is scary

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 05:45:44 PM »
There was an article back in November or so where some investors in the Middle East were offering Floyd a $120 million guarantee, but it's apparently been taken off the table since part of their offer was that they needed a response by the first week of January, which is now, but Floyd never said anything.  Not that their location is an ideal fight location, but when someone is offering you nine figures, at least entertain them.

That's one thing that's fucked up... Floyd was offering Manny a sucker's deal a while back with that $40 million purse, but his argument was that $40 million is more than Manny had ever made, but someone offers him more than what he's made in his last three fights combined, but he doesn't accept?  It's just a little hypocritical.

Sccit

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 09:08:21 PM »
There was an article back in November or so where some investors in the Middle East were offering Floyd a $120 million guarantee, but it's apparently been taken off the table since part of their offer was that they needed a response by the first week of January, which is now, but Floyd never said anything.  Not that their location is an ideal fight location, but when someone is offering you nine figures, at least entertain them.

That's one thing that's fucked up... Floyd was offering Manny a sucker's deal a while back with that $40 million purse, but his argument was that $40 million is more than Manny had ever made, but someone offers him more than what he's made in his last three fights combined, but he doesn't accept?  It's just a little hypocritical.

so who U think the pussy is?

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 09:38:10 AM »

so who U think the pussy is?

Bob Arum. I think Pac Man wants the fight, I think Money can care less about the fight, but I think Arum doesn't want this fight at all. If Pac Man loses, he wants to make sure he has the rights to that fighter so he can promote him as the man who beat Pac Man.

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 11:22:01 AM »
I disagree with the Bob Arum thing.  Not to say that he’s free of any blame whatsoever, but I don’t think he’s the one standing in the way of the mega-fight, at least not for those reasons.

Manny lost twice in 2012, as you all know, and Arum currently promotes both of those fighters (Bradley and Marquez), but it’s not as if he benefited so much from them being the guy(s) who beat Manny.  Manny is his biggest star by a wide margin, and it’s not as if the next guys in line are just a few fights away from achieving his status… in theory, Arum has more to lose from Manny losing than Manny does, seeing how Manny bounced back and didn’t take very long to getting the guaranteed purses he was getting prior to the losses.  In contrast, Arum has his work cut out for him in trying to revive the big PPV revenues,  but that seems to be a boxing thing in general.

After the two Manny losses, it was business as usual, but there wasn’t much that Arum really “gained” from them, particularly from the guys who beat him.  It’s not like either Bradley or Marquez became the next superstars either.   Bradley had that long layoff but then put up good fights against Provodnikov (though it’s not as if boxing fans were eager to see it just because Bradley had beat Manny, since everyone was pissed with that split decision anyway, though he earned his respect back against Provodnikov since it was a brawl) and then against Marquez (though for it being two boxing stars who had both added wins over Manny to their resume, the fight wasn’t a smash hit either in terms of the numbers).  The Manny rematch was expected.  Aside from fighting Bradley, Marquez fought Alvarado, but that was a fight that didn’t need to happen, especially since Marquez already had an offer for another Manny fight.

All of those fights that were listed above would still have been very likely to have occurred anyway even if Manny hadn’t lost to them, so it’s not like Arum was plotting to market them as conquerers of Manny, primed for a superfight.  If he were so greedy, he’d have found a way to force Marquez to take on the fifth fight, since that would generate the most money for him out of any potential fight between fighters in his stable.

Basically, I don’t think Floyd not being signed currently to Top Rank is an indicator that Arum doesn’t want the fight, even though it is definitely a hurdle in any situation involving fighters from different promotional companies.  It’s not like it was easy back in the day for the dream match between wrestler X from WWF to go against wrestler Y from WCW, unless one wrestler switched companies or if one company bought the other.  I don’t get why boxing promoters catch so much heat, when they actually have done a lot of co-promotion throughout the past several years… Arum worked with Golden Boy (prior to Floyd coming out of retirement and using Golden Boy, which seems to have occurred ironically at the same time as when the rift was created between the companies) and has patched things up with them while also working with Lou DiBella for the Cotto-Martinez fight, one that MANY people had been wanting to see for a while.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 11:56:34 AM »
I disagree with the Bob Arum thing.  Not to say that he’s free of any blame whatsoever, but I don’t think he’s the one standing in the way of the mega-fight, at least not for those reasons.

Manny lost twice in 2012, as you all know, and Arum currently promotes both of those fighters (Bradley and Marquez), but it’s not as if he benefited so much from them being the guy(s) who beat Manny.  Manny is his biggest star by a wide margin, and it’s not as if the next guys in line are just a few fights away from achieving his status… in theory, Arum has more to lose from Manny losing than Manny does, seeing how Manny bounced back and didn’t take very long to getting the guaranteed purses he was getting prior to the losses.  In contrast, Arum has his work cut out for him in trying to revive the big PPV revenues,  but that seems to be a boxing thing in general.

After the two Manny losses, it was business as usual, but there wasn’t much that Arum really “gained” from them, particularly from the guys who beat him.  It’s not like either Bradley or Marquez became the next superstars either.   Bradley had that long layoff but then put up good fights against Provodnikov (though it’s not as if boxing fans were eager to see it just because Bradley had beat Manny, since everyone was pissed with that split decision anyway, though he earned his respect back against Provodnikov since it was a brawl) and then against Marquez (though for it being two boxing stars who had both added wins over Manny to their resume, the fight wasn’t a smash hit either in terms of the numbers).  The Manny rematch was expected.  Aside from fighting Bradley, Marquez fought Alvarado, but that was a fight that didn’t need to happen, especially since Marquez already had an offer for another Manny fight.

All of those fights that were listed above would still have been very likely to have occurred anyway even if Manny hadn’t lost to them, so it’s not like Arum was plotting to market them as conquerers of Manny, primed for a superfight.  If he were so greedy, he’d have found a way to force Marquez to take on the fifth fight, since that would generate the most money for him out of any potential fight between fighters in his stable.

Basically, I don’t think Floyd not being signed currently to Top Rank is an indicator that Arum doesn’t want the fight, even though it is definitely a hurdle in any situation involving fighters from different promotional companies.  It’s not like it was easy back in the day for the dream match between wrestler X from WWF to go against wrestler Y from WCW, unless one wrestler switched companies or if one company bought the other.  I don’t get why boxing promoters catch so much heat, when they actually have done a lot of co-promotion throughout the past several years… Arum worked with Golden Boy (prior to Floyd coming out of retirement and using Golden Boy, which seems to have occurred ironically at the same time as when the rift was created between the companies) and has patched things up with them while also working with Lou DiBella for the Cotto-Martinez fight, one that MANY people had been wanting to see for a while.

When you look at all promoters in boxing, they don't want their stars losing to a fighter they don't promote. This has been common practice for over 100 years. Once you get a star, you'd rather see them striped of a title than see then lose to a fighter you don't promote, see Tyson/Lennox Lewis in 1996, or over money, see Bowe/Lewis in 1992. If either fighter really didn't want to fight each other, I think they'd take the same route as Trinidad did when he should have had a rematch with De Le Hoya and either move up or down in weight. When a fighter really doesn't want to fight the other fighter, they do stupid stuff like move weight divisions, or they retire, or they do many other things. This doesn't look like either fighter is scared, more like Pac Man's promoters are scared and Money is indifferent.

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 01:03:31 PM »
That doesn’t apply here.  If it were a fight against an absolute B-side fighter promoted by a different company, like Danny Garcia or Amir Khan, then that argument would be stronger, since the B-side fighter emerging victorious would open more doors for them and bring them to the next level.  In this case, the potential fight is against Floyd, who is most certainly the bigger draw between the two of them and the #1 guy in boxing.  If they fought and Floyd won, it’s not as if Floyd reaps any new benefits that weren’t there before… he’d still be the biggest name in boxing, he’d still be the highest paid in boxing, he’d still be undefeated in boxing, and there pretty much wouldn’t be any other fights that he could move on to that would one-up the mega-fight.  Not much would change, and there isn’t a step beyond that, other than a rematch.

I wouldn’t say Floyd is “indifferent.”  Warren Buffet wouldn’t be indifferent about $100 million, and he’s got damn near $100 billion.  Floyd keeps boxing and picking up record purses and posting Instagram pictures of cars and jets, so I would lean more toward him in it for the money than for the love of the sport.  A guy who calls himself “Money” can’t seriously be indifferent about a fight that would more than double his highest guarantee so far and likely net him even more, after the PPV revenue is tallied, since it’s not like he’s getting a short-sighted deal with only up-front money.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2015, 01:23:21 PM »
That doesn’t apply here.  If it were a fight against an absolute B-side fighter promoted by a different company, like Danny Garcia or Amir Khan, then that argument would be stronger, since the B-side fighter emerging victorious would open more doors for them and bring them to the next level.  In this case, the potential fight is against Floyd, who is most certainly the bigger draw between the two of them and the #1 guy in boxing.  If they fought and Floyd won, it’s not as if Floyd reaps any new benefits that weren’t there before… he’d still be the biggest name in boxing, he’d still be the highest paid in boxing, he’d still be undefeated in boxing, and there pretty much wouldn’t be any other fights that he could move on to that would one-up the mega-fight.  Not much would change, and there isn’t a step beyond that, other than a rematch.

I wouldn’t say Floyd is “indifferent.”  Warren Buffet wouldn’t be indifferent about $100 million, and he’s got damn near $100 billion.  Floyd keeps boxing and picking up record purses and posting Instagram pictures of cars and jets, so I would lean more toward him in it for the money than for the love of the sport.  A guy who calls himself “Money” can’t seriously be indifferent about a fight that would more than double his highest guarantee so far and likely net him even more, after the PPV revenue is tallied, since it’s not like he’s getting a short-sighted deal with only up-front money.

I don't disagree with you, but I don't think Pac Man is really afraid of Money. If Pac Man was afraid, you'd see many different things, but you wouldn't see what he is doing. Floyd does seem indifferent though, like if the fight happens, cool, if it doesn't well I still got Money. If Floyd really wanted this fight, he'd not demand such tough drug test or he'd offer up a more level purse for both fighters. If Pac Man was really afraid, he'd move up or down in weight class, or he'd retire and claim he could have beat Floyd. I do think both fighters want this fight. And Money being independent, he only uses Golden Boy to promote but he is his own man, helps him fight a variety of opponents. Pac Man being tied down to a promoter puts him in the mercy of Arum, and Arum's old way of thinking.

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2015, 08:23:36 PM »
I never said Manny was afraid... not sure how that one came up.  If anything, he is the MOST willing to push the fight through out of everyone involved.

Still, I wouldn't say that Floyd is indifferent, simply because what he says contradicts that, since he talks about Manny so much, usually in a negative way... i.e. take the test, he needs the money because of tax problems, he lost twice in 2012, his PPV numbers suck, etc. etc.  Usually people who feel indifferent don't open their mouths about the topic that much.  Marquez is way more indifferent, for example... it's obvious that he's running from a Manny rematch, but he doesn't constantly have something to say about Manny either.

Yes, Floyd is his own man, but the problem is that he is one person who has way too much leverage and not a lot of logic behind his actions and words.  And the drawback is that no one can really tell him what to do, especially when he's being an idiot and just surrounded by yes men.  At least guys who are promoted still have people to answer to, or at the very least, people who provide guidance.  It's like in the workplace... generally speaking, the guy who has a boss to answer to will usually be a lot more disciplined and reliable than the guy who is self-employed and does whatever he wants, whenever he wants.