Author Topic: JT The Bigga Figga & Messy Marv squash their long-standing beef  (Read 686 times)

bouli77

Re: JT The Bigga Figga & Messy Marv squash their long-standing beef
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2015, 09:16:23 AM »
Bouli, what's wrong with Tha New Frank Lucas Dat Neva Wore Da Mink Coat? It's one of Marv's most consistent releases. Every track has top-notch production (from AV) and Marv wrote some of his best songs on that one.

Most of Marv's releases have really dope songs on them, but the Frank Lucas album is the only one from Marv that is straight fire from beginning to end.

I own most of Marv's catalogue, homie, so I know a thing or two bout that nigga too. I don't fuck with too many rappers, but the ones I like, I rep them to the fullest: Pac, the Outlawz, DJ Quik, Messy Marv, Kurupt, Tha Realest, Terrace Martin, E-40, B-Legit. MOBNigga's favorites.

nothing wrong but you vouched for it on the forum like it was the undisputed magnum opus of Mess's career when it was released when Mess was past his prime. I appreciate your dedication about the artists you like but sometimes you say some outlandish stuff ala people should be glad to be on good terms with Mess lol.

da new frank lucas is pretty dope but not his best. it depends too if you like the old "messcaleen" type mess where he rapped louder and more pissed or the slow drawled out boy boy young mess shit. to be honest mess has a lot of fans who would continue to support him if he came back, i know i would, but at the same time he made enough enemies and shit i dont think he could really do shows or anything without constantly having dudes trying to punk him out

to me there are four major eras in Messy Marv's carreer. The first part is between 95 and 2001 when he came up and reached his prime. He had a raspy yet clear voice with a somewhat fast delivery. He dropped some heavy shit but that's not the era I prefer coming from him. Then you got the transition part, 2001-2004 when he started becoming relevant and building a name for himself independently with solid releases (Still Explosive) and very solid releases (Turf Politics, one of my favorite albums) but his projects weren't properly released, he was on different imprints not really thriving. that's when he developed his style and his formula with songs like "real talk" "keep it gangsta" "cuzzin "(before he was a blood lol). Then, what I call his prime from 2005 to 2007. Very short prime but intense with lots of releases under different monikers (Messcalen, Messy Marv, etc.). dropped some of his best music (Bandannas, Tattoos and Tongue Rings) and his voice sounded raspier and angrier than before. And after 2008, he still had a lot of dope beats, but started developing his lazy drawl, which I liked to an extent. Regardless of his antics (which make me strongly dislike him at times), dude has a terrific beat selection and at some point crazy work ethic and has an impressive catalogue.but Da Fank Lukas tape can't fuck with the Kokaine Ballads, let alone other projects pre 2007 ala Getting that Guac. You gotta give it to Sean T too for dropping a lot of heat for Mess (and a lot of other rappers). In terms of catalogue and consistency, Sean T is a top 10 Bay Area producer, and that says a lot given the amount of legendary producers from that region (studio ton, mike mosley, sam bostic, k-lou, rick rock, ant banks, e-a ski, etc.)

Blood$

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2015, 09:51:18 PM »
^ pretty spot on post I also think Bandannas, Tattoos & Tongue Rings is his best work

Kokaine Ballads was smooth too I need that one again  8)

Pushinbigbody00

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • RIP DJ SCREW / FREE TWISTED BLACK
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2015, 03:06:10 AM »
Bandannas Tattoos & Tounge Rings is definitely his best..yall can have the whispering Mess..
check out my 90's vinyl bargain bin..tons of classics & rare ish for the low!

http://www.discogs.com/seller/pusherman972