Author Topic: DR. DRE - COMPTON: A SOUNDTRACK BY DR. DRE (Official Discussion)  (Read 50205 times)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
Re: Dr. Dre - Compton: A Soundtrack by Dr. Dre (Official Discussion Thread)
« Reply #285 on: August 10, 2015, 08:35:52 AM »

Duno, bay has been involved in some great high budget action movies .. James Cameron movies are usually pretty focused on the dialogue, so it woulda defeated my point.

It sounds different to me, I dunno .. Outside of the first track, which was prolly the worst, a lot of the production sounds a lot deeper than anything you currently hear in hip-hop.. Like, it's sonically on another level than The Chronic or 2001.. I dunno, beats sound so empty in rap music today. Everything is the same old skeleton sounding generic bs.. I think the way this can change the game (as dre's done in the past) is by getting everyone else to step their game up sonically and add more structure to their beats. It's kinda what raps been missing.

Nothing on here sounds as deep as Wesley Theory. But even if it did that's not the point. Whatever may be missing in hop hop mainstream now doesn't mean it wasn't there before and Dre isn't a) doing anything new or b) going to cause a shift in the sound of the genre.

And what dialogue is Cameron known for? I'll be back? Cameron is a larger than life director who only releases films when he feels like it and always makes them super grande productions.  Nothing Bay has ever done comes close to the production of T2 Titanic or Avatar.

Sccit

« Reply #286 on: August 10, 2015, 08:41:05 AM »

Nothing on here sounds as deep as Wesley Theory. But even if it did that's not the point. Whatever may be missing in hop hop mainstream now doesn't mean it wasn't there before and Dre isn't a) doing anything new or b) going to cause a shift in the sound of the genre.

And what dialogue is Cameron known for? I'll be back? Cameron is a larger than life director who only releases films when he feels like it and always makes them super grande productions.  Nothing Bay has ever done comes close to the production of T2 Titanic or Avatar.

I disagree..theres more than enough deep productions on this album.

Michael Bay beats James Cameron in explosions and car chases. the rock, bad boys, armageddon, bad boys 2.....all great action flicks with top-of-the-line production. but thats a whole nother topic.

HighEyeCue

« Reply #287 on: August 10, 2015, 09:14:19 AM »
just was thinking about when Still DRE came out  and I remember the DRE2001 board and it was mostly postitive feedback

WestWestYA

« Reply #288 on: August 10, 2015, 09:16:29 AM »

And what dialogue is Cameron known for? I'll be back? Cameron is a larger than life director who only releases films when he feels like it and always makes them super grande productions.  Nothing Bay has ever done comes close to the production of T2 Titanic or Avatar.

Michael Bay beats James Cameron in explosions and car chases. the rock, bad boys, armageddon, bad boys 2.....all great action flicks with top-of-the-line production. but thats a whole nother topic.

exactly. but but the terminator 1 & 2, Aliens and true lies are better movies ;D

Sccit

« Reply #289 on: August 10, 2015, 09:30:27 AM »

exactly. but but terminator 1 & 2, Aliens and true lies are better movies ;D

no doubt, t2 might be the GOAT action flick

Sccit

« Reply #290 on: August 10, 2015, 09:35:16 AM »
INTERESTING:

me1

« Reply #291 on: August 10, 2015, 10:29:41 AM »
INTERESTING:

damn they squashed that link quick

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #292 on: August 10, 2015, 10:50:46 AM »

exactly. but but the terminator 1 & 2, Aliens and true lies are better movies ;D

The Cameron films are so ridiculously better produced than Bay's films. It's like comparing Dre's productions to Puff Daddy's.

Jome

« Reply #293 on: August 10, 2015, 11:09:30 AM »
INTERESTING:

Whaaat.. need more info on this, even a Google search comes up empty.. snippet? Full song? Dope?

Dre/Lamar already made a track called COMPTON though, featuring Sly..

Sccit

« Reply #294 on: August 10, 2015, 11:54:41 AM »

The Cameron films are so ridiculously better produced than Bay's films. It's like comparing Dre's productions to Puff Daddy's.

I'M NOT A FILM EXPERT, BUT BAY IS CONSIDERED A GENIUS AS FAR AS HIGH BUDGET ACTION FILMS GO

Lucifuge

« Reply #295 on: August 10, 2015, 11:56:24 AM »
Album is like a movie. This is masterpice.
ALESSANDRO DEL PIERO!!!

Detox 2000Never

tyranasaurus rex like fuck a bitch
i once saw a pterdactyl fuck a bitch
eat a bowl these bitch gobbling dick
hoes forgot to eat a dick a shut the fuck up
roll through crenshaw on my pterdactyl like what up!
By kevin t as Kurupt :D

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #296 on: August 10, 2015, 12:16:55 PM »

I'M NOT A FILM EXPERT, BUT BAY IS CONSIDERED A GENIUS AS FAR AS HIGH BUDGET ACTION FILMS GO

I'm a film guy. Bay is no genius. In fact he's usually dreaded in film circles when he gets attached to a project. The Puff Daddy analogy is about right. It's not a Kanye thing where there's a split by fans on whether he sucks or is a genius. It's a puffy thing.

ICHI THE KILLER

« Reply #297 on: August 10, 2015, 12:55:37 PM »
I'm a film guy. Bay is no genius. In fact he's usually dreaded in film circles when he gets attached to a project.
This

J. B A N A N A S

« Reply #298 on: August 10, 2015, 04:05:06 PM »
Overall I like this album. It has that signature Dre flow and transition from track to track, and is best listened to start to finish.
Very creative, very musical, well mixed and mastered of course...
Seems very much like TPAB, which isn't a bad thing.

What's missing though are those CLASSIC DRE ANTHEMS.
The Chronic, 2001 and The Wash all had dre beats that were BANGERS. Not every track, but there were those tracks that everybody raps word for word decades later.
Compton doesn't have that. To me it suffers the same problem as The Aftermath. It's great experimental music that is an engaging listening experience all together, but I don't think there's a lot of easily accessible bangers that stand by themselves.

I still like this album just as I like The Aftermath, but it's anticlimactic and somewhat disappointing if this is Dre's last effort.

Sccit

« Reply #299 on: August 10, 2015, 04:58:25 PM »

I'm a film guy. Bay is no genius. In fact he's usually dreaded in film circles when he gets attached to a project. The Puff Daddy analogy is about right. It's not a Kanye thing where there's a split by fans on whether he sucks or is a genius. It's a puffy thing.

From a special effects and pure action movie standpoint, the man is talented in making stuff look very easy. His problems are in dialogue and character and sometimes basic story, but purely based on spectacle, dude knows what he's doing and does it better than most. I'm not a film expert, but I am a film guy, so don't get it twisted in that regard. I know all about Bay's bad rap, the South Park episodes, and alla that..but the guy is a genius, and Puff Daddy is too. You don't get to the top by bein dumb, believe that.

watch this:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/HCmXRtaoSzU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/HCmXRtaoSzU</a>

but this is completely sidetracking from my main point lolsmh