Author Topic: DR. DRE - COMPTON: A SOUNDTRACK BY DR. DRE (Official Discussion)  (Read 50198 times)

geezy

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Dogg Pound Gangsta 4 Life (west coast love).
Re: Dr. Dre - Compton: A Soundtrack by Dr. Dre (Official Discussion Thread)
« Reply #435 on: August 16, 2015, 09:32:36 PM »
Ice Cube: He has a lot of musicians and MCs and people floating around. But when it’s time to work, he just clears out the studio. It’s just me, him, and the engineer. It’s all about making sure your voice can do everything he wants it to do. Because the way you hear a rhyme, he might hear it a different way. You really want to be produced by him so you want to give it to him his way.

Probably nobody is surprised to hear he’s a perfectionist.
If you give it to him his way, he makes the magic from there. If you give it to him your way—I’m not saying he won’t make magic with it—but it’ll always have those flaws that hinder him from maybe even using the record.

^^^^^
PRODUCER
Arsenal 4 Life!!!!!!!!!!

Shiram619

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #436 on: August 16, 2015, 10:00:24 PM »
Kind of sucks to find out that he did not produce much on the album. All though he was involved with a good amount of tracks it was probably just DRE putting some final touches/sound to the beats.

The album is awesome but I am just wondering if we will ever really see Dr.Dre Produced Tracks moving forward where he is the head producer and someone else is co producing alongdise him (IE- Storch, Elizondo, Parker & Etc) but I guess hes got so much money/other things going that he really doesn't have to....

I agree with the comment prior on the thread the real Dre Produced albums look to be 2001 & Relapse... Even through Dre mixed this album and touched up a few tracks not the same as the other albums.

All good though- Album still bangs and has been on Repeat!

Sccit

« Reply #437 on: August 16, 2015, 10:14:02 PM »
Kind of sucks to find out that he did not produce much on the album. All though he was involved with a good amount of tracks it was probably just DRE putting some final touches/sound to the beats.

The album is awesome but I am just wondering if we will ever really see Dr.Dre Produced Tracks moving forward where he is the head producer and someone else is co producing alongdise him (IE- Storch, Elizondo, Parker & Etc) but I guess hes got so much money/other things going that he really doesn't have to....

I agree with the comment prior on the thread the real Dre Produced albums look to be 2001 & Relapse... Even through Dre mixed this album and touched up a few tracks not the same as the other albums.

it's more than "putting final touches/sounds"....dre literally sits in the studio with the artists and beatmakers guiding them through every step of the way. he did just as much on this album as any other album he ever put out. credits are just given out differently nowadays, but go watch the NWA movie to see wha Dre does in the studio, and understand how that's the actual definition of a producer.

donfathaimmortal

« Reply #438 on: August 17, 2015, 02:06:06 AM »
^Co-sign.
The spot got shook, it was hell below | Is that Futureshock ?? | Hell, no, it's Death Row !

Eddz

« Reply #439 on: August 17, 2015, 02:42:47 AM »
I'm really liking the album even more after each listen and like others said discovering a new track that I'm loving. At the moment it's "Deep Water" (Kendrick kills each song he's on)

The only complaints I have is that there is no Dre & Snoop song going back and forth same with Dre & Em. I'd also would of liked more verses and less long singing hooks.

King Mez doesn't do much for me and falls short of replacing the role Hittman had on 2001. I would of rather heard Kurupt replace him on a few tracks if Dre could of got the best out of him (judging by the other guests I'm sure he could of)

Justus is pointless, is that him singing on the hooks?

I was disappointed that there was no digital booklet after I bought this from iTunes. Excellent album though that gets better after every listen  8)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 02:55:13 AM by Eddz »

So Much Style

« Reply #440 on: August 17, 2015, 07:18:57 AM »
^ LOL I was thinking the same thing, JUSTUS name all over it but I cant pick out 1 part that I care about. Is he not the whiteboy rapper? what happened to that guy?
So much style back at it again

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #441 on: August 17, 2015, 07:24:15 AM »
King Mez doesn't do much for me and falls short of replacing the role Hittman had on 2001.

Really? I think he's well on his way to becoming the next Hittman.

jman91331

« Reply #442 on: August 17, 2015, 07:36:24 AM »
dr dre's final album and he didn't produce 1 beat on it

what a joke
I see Dre listed as a producer on over half of the album. But what do I know, I just read the credits. Not a math major, but producing on 9 songs might equal to a little bit more than "didn't produce 1 beat on it"

David Gutterman

« Reply #443 on: August 17, 2015, 07:38:11 AM »
King Mez doesn't do much for me and falls short of replacing the role Hittman had on 2001.

Really? I think he's well on his way to becoming the next Hittman.

haha, that's funny to me

jman91331

« Reply #444 on: August 17, 2015, 07:45:06 AM »
dr dre's final album and he didn't produce 1 beat on it

what a joke

He actually did "produce" the records. The reason he has been listing the stuff as other's stuff, is because he got tired of people saying he didn't produce it when in all truthfulness, most people just brought the beat and are egotistical bastards. But people really think all these other cats produced the record for Dre, when really all they did was bring a beat, Dre touched it up like a true producer, hence the mixing credits.

In my opinion a true producer makes the beat and mixes the records.. just mixing the record..? That can be done by DJs as well.
Welp, I guess Quincy Jones, arguably one of the greatest producers of all time, didn't produce one of the greatest/best selling albums ever with Thriller which he didn't play a single note on but is listed as the producer. By your definition he didn't produce shit but those who know music and know the real definition of a producer, know he produced the shit outta that record & worked damn hard. Same applies to Dr. Dre

Shiram619

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #445 on: August 17, 2015, 08:38:24 AM »
Saw the movie, agree.. Not saying he is not involved with the production but it's just not like it was back in the day.. in all reality, he does not need to be as involved as he once was.. The album is heat regardless

it's more than "putting final touches/sounds"....dre literally sits in the studio with the artists and beatmakers guiding them through every step of the way. he did just as much on this album as any other album he ever put out. credits are just given out differently nowadays, but go watch the NWA movie to see wha Dre does in the studio, and understand how that's the actual definition of a producer.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #446 on: August 17, 2015, 09:43:08 AM »
Saw the movie, agree.. Not saying he is not involved with the production but it's just not like it was back in the day.. in all reality, he does not need to be as involved as he once was.. The album is heat regardless

I think at this stage of his career, Dre is more of a teacher and he's working with young producers on what to hear. Like when listening to Premo, they both seem to agree on what a producer is. In the old Death Row days, Daz made it sound like him and Warren G did the whole thing when they simply brought the samples and Dre mixed it. Cutting up samples is not the producers job, but Warren and Daz learnt something doing that, but Daz made it sound like he's the producer. What Dre does is put it all together and he "Produces" a song. He takes a bunch of parts that his crew works on, and he produces a song out of it. He is the one cat who makes it all fit. In hip-hop, Kanye, Timbo and Premo are the other cats I'd say are truly producers. I know that there is a lot of production teams, Trackmasters, N.E.R.D., Beats by the Pound in the old days, Lil Jon and the Eastside Boyz. And these groups produce songs as a collective, and that's great. But Dre, Kanye, Timbo and Premo just have that ear that no one else can replicate, and they are that final say in what goes on a track. They are masters of their craft and it's why they are celebrated.

Sccit

« Reply #447 on: August 17, 2015, 09:51:13 AM »

But he is

Rebel

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Every man dies...but not everyman really lives"
« Reply #448 on: August 17, 2015, 01:09:11 PM »
Just remember what DJ Khalil said about KUSH.

Dre produced them pretty much...

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #449 on: August 17, 2015, 06:42:33 PM »

it's not jordan on the wizards, it's shaq on the heat.......not at his best, but still championship material.

At this point I would have to agree with you.  I mean the album is pretty spectacular.  Definitely classic, championship material.  It's just too early for me to tell though if it is as great as The Chronic or even as great as 2001.  Maybe it is, maybe it isn't... but most definitely a classic.. this shit is fuckin bangin. 

And it is probably Dre's best performance ever behind the mic.  I mean... Eminem used to write and record reference vocals in tired, tired, O.G. verses, but these young ficcaz that Dre is fuccin wit now got him spittin in a style I would've never expected Dre to do, like emotional, and singing and all the speed changes.  I never liked that style till I heard Dre do it... now I'm interested in hearing more from these young cats like King Mez, Justus, Kendrick and the other dudes that updated Dre's style.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)