Author Topic: DR. DRE - COMPTON: A SOUNDTRACK BY DR. DRE (Official Discussion)  (Read 50177 times)

doggfather

Re: Dr. Dre - Compton: A Soundtrack by Dr. Dre (Official Discussion Thread)
« Reply #495 on: August 21, 2015, 02:59:17 AM »
So its comin out on cd too.
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Lucifuge

« Reply #496 on: August 21, 2015, 03:20:49 AM »
I dont understand people here. Acting like they aint folow dre's carriere. When he drop cronic that shit sound completley different than any work with nwa, than 2001 sound completley different than cronic. Every Dre album has a new sound. cronic stuck up west coast sound for years, same with 2001 and compton will do the same thing.
ALESSANDRO DEL PIERO!!!

Detox 2000Never

tyranasaurus rex like fuck a bitch
i once saw a pterdactyl fuck a bitch
eat a bowl these bitch gobbling dick
hoes forgot to eat a dick a shut the fuck up
roll through crenshaw on my pterdactyl like what up!
By kevin t as Kurupt :D

Will_B

« Reply #497 on: August 21, 2015, 03:51:59 AM »
I dont understand people here. Acting like they aint folow dre's carriere. When he drop cronic that shit sound completley different than any work with nwa, than 2001 sound completley different than cronic. Every Dre album has a new sound. cronic stuck up west coast sound for years, same with 2001 and compton will do the same thing.

For me it's not his vocal sound, it's the drop off of quality

Like if Kedrick ghost wrote GKMC for Dre and he rapped on it and called it his album, that would be something of comparable quality to Chronic/2001 and still be contemporary. This just ain't close to as good an album.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #498 on: August 21, 2015, 07:51:54 AM »

Like if Kedrick ghost wrote GKMC for Dre and he rapped on it and called it his album, that would be something of comparable quality to Chronic/2001 and still be contemporary. This just ain't close to as good an album.

Okay, so when Dre dropped Straight Outta Compton, it was a new sound. The Chronic was a new sound. 2000 was a new sound. Compton is not quite the game changing sound. It's new for Dr. Dre, but it's a sound that's been out. I'm not saying that's a bad thing mind you, it's just a new sound.

The album with a game changing sound this year was actually To Pimp a Butterfly, but after reading so many people's take on it now, it wasn't exactly many people on this board's cup of tea. I think they prefer that gangsta shit. So really, I don't see how Dr. Dre could change the game again with this new album. I think instead of trying to change the game, which is why Detox failed, he simply went with what he was feeling at the time musically. He worked with writers and producers he wanted to work with and just put out music he was feeling instead of putting pressure on himself to change the game yet again.

In all honestly, he's 50 years old. He's at the stage of his career he doesn't need to change the game yet again. It's up to these young kids to change the game. The only game changing producer we've had in the last 15 years since 2001 is Kanye West, and he's done it twice. But it's not up to Dre, it's up to these young cats. So with that in mind, it's not important if he changed the game or what he did. As long as it's good music.

Sccit

« Reply #499 on: August 21, 2015, 12:13:00 PM »

this is better than gkmc

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #500 on: August 21, 2015, 12:37:07 PM »

this is better than gkmc

I kind of argue music wise. GKMC was great because of Kendrick's bars, but musically it didn't really make sense. It was sort of all over the place. Compton musically was way better than GKMC.

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #501 on: August 21, 2015, 01:44:09 PM »
definetly better, but it does take the heart out of a project once they expose all the writers and ghost rappers and niggas that brought dre a sample...honestly i dont think i wanna know all that and dont quite understand the sensationalism right now. if whitney Houston were alive and cut an album shed have a whole team of motherfuckers working that bitch. its obvious when kanye does albums he takes the same approach get a gang of rappers and producers together and brainstorm. i guess the only place that shit was unheard of was hiphop but still knowings all dres shit was made with this think tank approach seems to tarnish his legacy. but most hip hop albums with a grander sound are made just like this. deathrow had all the studio musicians popping that had dre and daz sounding real cute.

also that fuck double d chest did you call me a euro? bitch im from detroit raised in chicago they dont get much more american then me...miss w me with that shit. i know my music.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #502 on: August 21, 2015, 01:56:15 PM »
definetly better, but it does take the heart out of a project once they expose all the writers and ghost rappers and niggas that brought dre a sample...honestly i dont think i wanna know all that and dont quite understand the sensationalism right now. if whitney Houston were alive and cut an album shed have a whole team of motherfuckers working that bitch. its obvious when kanye does albums he takes the same approach get a gang of rappers and producers together and brainstorm. i guess the only place that shit was unheard of was hiphop but still knowings all dres shit was made with this think tank approach seems to tarnish his legacy. but most hip hop albums with a grander sound are made just like this. deathrow had all the studio musicians popping that had dre and daz sounding real cute.

also that fuck double d chest did you call me a euro? bitch im from detroit raised in chicago they dont get much more american then me...miss w me with that shit. i know my music.

To me that doesn't matter. Dre is a producer. And people forget what a producer is. Since hip-hop comes from sampling and one man studios in garages, we think of that one man listening to music all day, sampling what he heard and making tracks with a rapper. The reality is that since the 90's, producers really work in a team of people. Dr. Dre had a whole team of musicians playing instruments for 2001, Kanye has tons of people scrambling around grabbing samples. It doesn't take away from what they do because now the music sounds so much better. You can tell the quality has increased from the Chronic to now. And as long as the quality is up, then all these people working on an album now is great for music.

I actually LOVE reading the credits and seeing who does what. I really like to see that, because reading the credits is how I usually know who might be next to do something. Like in the early 2000's, Kanye West always seemed to appear on my favorite songs credits. In 2004, when people heard Kanye I told him, that's the next to blow up, and he did. Death Row, reading the credits you knew who was next. Many musicians from 2001 went on to have somewhat successful careers. But all these people working on an album take nothing away from Dr. Dre.

Dr. Dre is a producer in the purest sense of the word. He has people scrambling around, gathering samples, playing instruments, and just gathering sounds for him to use. Dre then grabs all of this and mixes it into a sound. He has an idea of what direction he wants the song to go. Many "producers" now are just beat makers who work all day making beats and they just let a rapper spit over it and there is no type of direction. A true producer gives the artist direction. They see the song. Dre is that. Everyone around him gathers everything, they play music, they write lyrics, and at the end of the day Dr. Dre puts it all together in his vision. He "produces" a song.

Will_B

Sccit

« Reply #504 on: August 21, 2015, 02:54:54 PM »

it only tarnishes his legacy to retards....thats the stuff greatness is made of. teamwork. dre is like phil jackson.

people who try to do it all on their own dont get these kinda results

doublee313

« Reply #505 on: August 21, 2015, 10:53:03 PM »
i respect doublee313, he was one of the first cats to fux wit lamb when we started out. but this album is based around production, and the production is impeccable.

Thanks. Like I said I like the production, but I just can't adapt to the change in his rapping. I still have the LAMB album in my ride. I was honest with you on my opinion and you replied with a respectful answer on your stuff. Your album grew on me, now if you go and change your rapping I might not like it. I honestly didn't know it was Dre rapping at first.. Like I said he wasn't the best rapper on his last 2 solo albums, but this is just wacky rapping TO ME. I still bump both his previous solos and would buy the Instrumental of Compton.

I'm not trying to argue or debate. Just an honest opinion.  I'm not the only one on here that didn't like it. If you like it great. I'm not butt hurt if you do.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #506 on: August 21, 2015, 11:01:02 PM »

Okay, so when Dre dropped Straight Outta Compton, it was a new sound. The Chronic was a new sound. 2000 was a new sound. Compton is not quite the game changing sound. It's new for Dr. Dre, but it's a sound that's been out. I'm not saying that's a bad thing mind you, it's just a new sound.

Come on MDogg... I mean, does Dre have to do a whole nother genre for you to consider it a new sound?  I mean how drastic does the shift in sound need to be?  Sure Dre borrowed a bit from the styles that are out there today, but the same could be said for any of the other albums.  Like 2001 borrowed from the shit that Eminem had been doing, and the Chronic borrowed from the shit that Above The Law or George Clinton had been doing, and I was too young when NWA came out but I'm sure some of those sounds and styles were around.

It would be impossible (or anything on this earth) to be totally new.  The proverb says "nothing new under the sun".   But.... for all intensive purposes COMPTON is a new, fresh, updated, and trendsetting sound that has never been around before.  And anyone who wants to deny that is being overly critical.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #507 on: August 21, 2015, 11:24:24 PM »

Just shut up wigger. You gotta be a bad ass and know music because you lived in Chicago and detroit? I was born in Detroit but ain't gotta drop that shit to prove I'm a bad ass. It's wiggers like you that I used to step on cuz you talk shit but I see right thru your ass. Your a joke man. Be yourself you goofy looking bastard.  Lol. This is a Westcoast album you dumb ass.

Somehow I knew Petey would come out with a ridiculous take like this one on the new Dre album.  And this is your dude of the last few years, right Sccit?  Think about that one for a minute cuzz...

...And the ultimate counter argument has always been, that if Dre isn't the real genius behind all this, then how come nobody is ever as great after Dre leaves the building?  Ask producers Yella, Daz, and Mel-Man what they been doing since Dre left the building?  Even the new rappers like Paak, Justus, Mez, Kendrick, they sound their best on COMPTON.  And whatever producers Dre fucked with on this, I ain't ever heard their shit bang like it does on COMPTON.  Dre is the conductor wit da midas touch, and many have tried but have never been able to fade Dre cause Dre is a nicca dat can't be faded!!!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 11:31:30 PM by Infinite Trapped In 1996 »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

dnjp4life

« Reply #508 on: August 22, 2015, 03:50:55 AM »
Looks like the CD dropped today in the UK
http://store.hmv.com/music/cd/compton?_ga=1.8025204.711516639.1440193136

Yep, I bought it yesterday after avoiding it at every cost for the past 2 weeks and listened to it for the first time in one sitting.
A few observations at the moment:

- This doesn't sound like a Dr. Dre album, let alone a west-coast album.  Now that can be interpreted as both good and bad.  Good in the sense that it's a modern and new sound for Dre, showing that he's setting a trend yet again for the overall production and direction of albums, but bad in a sense that, going on my first couple of listens, it's almost as if this could be anyone's album due to the sheer number of guests all over the album, popping up every 30 seconds or so which can sound a bit overwhelming at times;
- Why has Dr. Dre changed his rapping voice and flow so drastically? Why?!  He's been rapping for nearly 30 years now, and was always immediately identifiable on a track owing to his strong, commanding voice, but on here he sounds so different to before that it's almost off-putting.  That's not to say he's gotten worse, it's just that he (and a couple of other guests on the album) are trying to sound too much like Kendrick Lamar and it sounds a bit unnatural for them to do this;
- There doesn't appear to be any standout tracks on here, in the way that 'G Thang' and 'Still D.R.E' were on the previous efforts.  Will listeners be able to recite the lyrics to certain tracks word-for-word in a few years time? Will any of the songs transfer to radio and into popular culture?  It feels like there are no quotables on here, no real standout lyrics;
- Anderson .Paak, Justus, King Mez and Jon Connor are interchangeable to me and I can't tell them apart.  None of them standout and as a result I have little to no interest in hearing any of their previous or forthcoming work;
- Some of the guest spots are underwhelming - You would never know that was Cold 187um on 'Loose Cannon's' unless he was listed in the credits, and Snoop's appearance on 'One Shot One Kill' doesn't sound right to me, he should have come more funky and melodic on a Dre album. I'm glad he got to feature on another track;
- On a more positive note, I love the different sounds on the album - all the background noises, voice samples, trumpets, weird, distorted voice effects etc.  This was to be expected on this album and the production doesn't disappoint.  The intro is brilliant too.  Also, who would have thought that the two Dre solo cuts on here would be the best two tracks on the album (the particularly strong one being a Detox scrap)?

So overall, a slight disappointment for me, but a good listen nonetheless.  Now I know I've been very negative and this is going on only having had the album for one day, but I am confident that the album will grow on me and I'm going  to continue to listen to it intensely for the next few weeks to pick out new things that it has to offer.

Blood$

« Reply #509 on: August 22, 2015, 08:25:10 AM »
I thought Jon Connor killed it on here, makes me wanna check out his next project cuz I never vibed well with his pre-Aftermath joints due to poor production/direction