Author Topic: DR. DRE - COMPTON: A SOUNDTRACK BY DR. DRE (Official Discussion)  (Read 50158 times)

Sccit

Re: Dr. Dre - Compton: A Soundtrack by Dr. Dre (Official Discussion Thread)
« Reply #660 on: September 21, 2015, 06:47:40 PM »
He takes other people's ideas and produces them into his songs like he did on Compton. So for example 'Talk About It' he produced Bink's beat into his own song, no different on how he used the 'I wanna Do Something Freaky To You' sample to produce his own song on G-Thang.

perfect way to put it.

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #661 on: September 21, 2015, 07:21:52 PM »
haven't really said much since release, but honestly, this album is a huge letdown. i knew people would be getting upset and catchings feelings on both side for this one. i see dre's got a lot of fans regardless and it isn't bad by current day standards, it's not the shit i can vibe with fully. 2001 is much more enjoyable and while this is meant to be a harder, angsty cityscape, it just hasn't got the kind of groove i associate with dre's sound. his input seems to be more in more in the mixing etc. grand finale my ass. any version of detox woulda been more refreshing than this, i feel. but oh well.

it looks like he's working on some new stuff now, maybe a more west coast (west west) project? i hope he doesn't go out with 'Compton'. if detox could come back it would be great, but don't particularly wanna hear any more of the Compton sound. he should get back with the cats like dawaun parker.

this....if matty said it then its official like like a referees whistle   /

Sccit

« Reply #662 on: September 21, 2015, 08:09:58 PM »
OUT OF THE 30-40 DETOX LEAKS, U CANT EVEN HAND SELECT THE 16 BEST TRACKS AND MAKE AN ALBUM HALF AS GOOD AS "COMPTON"..........YALL LOOKIN FOR SOMETHIN THAT DONT EXIST. ALBUM STILL BANGS.

Matty

« Reply #663 on: September 21, 2015, 08:39:06 PM »
He takes other people's ideas and produces them into his songs like he did on Compton. So for example 'Talk About It' he produced Bink's beat into his own song, no different on how he used the 'I wanna Do Something Freaky To You' sample to produce his own song on G-Thang.

perfect way to put it.

true, but it's not a case of whether he produced it, it's more about actually liking the song and the sound he's gone for. now that's subjective but i'm gonna say i don't like it that much and a lot of the tracks he worked with aren't really my cup of tea :coffee:

example 'Medicine Man' is just horrendous, the beat is like a wall of noise, there's no groove or funk to it it's just some weird stuff going on. and it's telling that 'Talking To My Diary' is one of the doper tracks, more familiar sound and a beat that stuck around from the 'Detox' days. a good chunk of the tracks are competent, but i'm not feeling much in the way of classics, 10/10 tracks stuff i wanna have on repeat all the time. 'It's All On Me' is probably the best one i can get into a little more. it feels like a side project and I doubt anyone is gonna be bumping this one like Chronic or 2001 in the future, shit is just too forgettable.

Matty

« Reply #664 on: September 21, 2015, 08:44:17 PM »
OUT OF THE 30-40 DETOX LEAKS, U CANT EVEN HAND SELECT THE 16 BEST TRACKS AND MAKE AN ALBUM HALF AS GOOD AS "COMPTON"..........YALL LOOKIN FOR SOMETHIN THAT DONT EXIST. ALBUM STILL BANGS.

i'll take the better Detox leaks and snippets over anything that ended up on Compton really. i just think Dre struggled finding a direction and making actual songs over a lot of the music that was kicking about. this was obviously a lot easier, there was a clear direction, but with a very different sound - more aggressive, loud and angry. unmelodic. that's great if you're into that type of album, but i have my thing musically and this doesn't hit the spot.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 08:19:33 AM by Matty »

Blood$

« Reply #665 on: September 21, 2015, 09:24:30 PM »

100... the only leaks that could even almost hang with this album would be "Kush" and "Back Against The Wall"... maybe "Topless" and "Syllables" if they were ever properly finished, all of the rest of the Detox leaks are boring and mediocre basically (if not flat out trash)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 09:28:23 PM by Blood$ »

WalterOhDim

• 'G'
« Reply #666 on: September 22, 2015, 04:41:41 AM »
'It's All On Me' is probably the best one i can get into a little more. it feels like a side project and I doubt anyone is gonna be bumping this one like Chronic or 2001 in the future, shit is just too forgettable.

"It's All On Me" is one of my top 3, but no doubt it is the most dated sounding song on the whole album.  It's there for nostalgic reasons and you can hear it.  Re: the funk/groove aspect, I think you were/are expecting a Dre sound of the past...  This was not an album meant for the clubs with big radio singles.  

I would agree with some other posters that this album hasn't had it's full effect yet.  I've listened to it a good 40+ times thru and when I change over and listen to something else, the other shit sounds thin and empty.  To be honest, 2001 even sounds hollow when compared to Compton on a sonic level.  I've never heard an album that mixed and blended sounds this well - the amount of detail involved is insane - this shit is like a movie.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 04:43:27 AM by WalterOhDim »

me1

« Reply #667 on: September 22, 2015, 07:16:54 AM »

100... the only leaks that could even almost hang with this album would be "Kush" and "Back Against The Wall"... maybe "Topless" and "Syllables" if they were ever properly finished, all of the rest of the Detox leaks are boring and mediocre basically (if not flat out trash)

+1

I'd add we got this album cause he actually finally got in a groove and organically created a cohesive body of work with one group of artists. The piecemeal approach he'd tried over the last decade didn't bear any fruit. I'm sure that in the vaults there are 100 mix tapes worth of shit we'd like a lot, but my playlist of detox leaks is mad lame in comparison to this. Forced chemistry. No genuine vibing going on with any of the artists featured whatsoever.

Sccit

« Reply #668 on: September 22, 2015, 08:43:25 AM »

i'll take the better Detox leaks and snippets over anything that ended up on Compton really. i just think Dre struggled finding a direction and making actual songs over a lot of the music that was kicking about. this was obviously a lot easier, there was a clear direction, but with a very different sound - more aggressive, loud and angry. unmelodic. that's great if you're into that type of album, but i have my thing musically and this doesn't hit the spot.

i duno about it bein "unmelodic"...and as far as detox leaks go, topless may be the only leak on the level of this album.

Sccit

« Reply #669 on: September 22, 2015, 08:44:49 AM »
'It's All On Me' is probably the best one i can get into a little more. it feels like a side project and I doubt anyone is gonna be bumping this one like Chronic or 2001 in the future, shit is just too forgettable.

"It's All On Me" is one of my top 3, but no doubt it is the most dated sounding song on the whole album.  It's there for nostalgic reasons and you can hear it.  Re: the funk/groove aspect, I think you were/are expecting a Dre sound of the past...  This was not an album meant for the clubs with big radio singles.  

I would agree with some other posters that this album hasn't had it's full effect yet.  I've listened to it a good 40+ times thru and when I change over and listen to something else, the other shit sounds thin and empty.  To be honest, 2001 even sounds hollow when compared to Compton on a sonic level.  I've never heard an album that mixed and blended sounds this well - the amount of detail involved is insane - this shit is like a movie.

yup.....people who mix/master music will typically understand better than people who dont.

WalterOhDim

• 'G'
« Reply #670 on: September 22, 2015, 10:30:30 AM »
... But to me it's a genius album. Anyone who's actually been to Compton, this album is a perfect audio version of the city. Like the part on Issues towards the end with the pideon coup, the shootout, and the police chase, that's genius shit , that's Compton! It's little shit lik that that will take people awhile to digest. And then you have people talking shit about he didn't produce this or that. Like the homeboy from Lamb said in countless posts (as well as interviews from the actual people on the album) Dre produced that album top to bottom regardless if his name is last or not listed at all as a producer...

Never been to Compton but I agree there is a level of genius here that will take time to appreciate.  To go with your example, at the beginning of "Issues" Cube says something like "I fucks em up like battery acid" then a synth drops in that... if anything ever "sounded" like battery acid, this is it!  That's detail and production.  Then as mentioned, the pigeon noises and clapping and police chase transition to "Deep Water" with seagulls/pigeons seamlessly.  Then of course, somehow only Dre can make a song with an underwater theme sound great.

I think this album should be used as a study guide for any producer/engineer out there.  That's where the next level ish is - not sales or radio play, just technicality.     

BlueSwan

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #671 on: September 22, 2015, 11:28:42 AM »
This album just flows flawlessly, Dr.Dre is a true master of his craft.

The only segueway I object to is the one between Loose Cannons and Issues. After Loose Cannons I would have liked a track in the vein of "Legends Of The Fall Offs" from the Busta Rhymes album on Aftermath. "Issues" doesn't fit the vibe. But aside from that....flawless.

Blood$

« Reply #672 on: September 22, 2015, 11:54:16 AM »
The only segueway I object to is the one between Loose Cannons and Issues. After Loose Cannons I would have liked a track in the vein of "Legends Of The Fall Offs" from the Busta Rhymes album on Aftermath. "Issues" doesn't fit the vibe. But aside from that....flawless.

could not have said that any better... "Issues" is a dope track and some people try to front on it while co-signing other bullshit music, it just needed better placement maybe after "One Shot Kill" instead

WalterOhDim

• 'G'
« Reply #673 on: September 22, 2015, 12:26:40 PM »
I will put a review up for what it's worth - not saying it's right or wrong.  Would be interesting to hear feedback, I know we all hear things differently:

Intro
I don't think Compton needs much of an introduction, it is one of the most anticipated rap albums of all-time, when considering the momentum Detox had that was shifted over.  Although a fresh idea separate from Detox, Compton is still Dre's 3rd studio album that fans have been waiting for since the days of 2001 – released over 15 years ago.  I always listen from a beat-first perspective, and like Dj Quik says, “See lyrics ain't nothin if the beat ain't crackin...”

1. Intro – An interesting intro that gives you insight into the album.  There is a standard cinematic approach to it with a Walter Cronkite type newscaster which helps create the “ironic” feel. After hearing it once or twice, there is no need to listen again.  Intros can have replay value but this one doesn't.  2/5
2. Talk About It (feat. King Mez & Justus) – After the first few listens I didn't like song.  But after that the hook really grew on me and I understood the reason it was first.  An inspirational and epic song that sets the tone of the album with big drums.  4/5
3. Genocide (feat. Kendrick Lamar, Marsha Ambrosius & Candice Pillay) – The beat is a burner with a slow bass drop opposing keys and a metallic sounding drum bopping in the backdrop.  Lots going on in this track and Marsha reminds me of a 90s Lady of Rage on this cut. 5/5
4. It’s All On Me (feat. Justus & BJ the Chicago Kid) – An easy favorite and was the song I had on repeat at the beginning.  This has a very nostalgic feel to it and the beat is simple but effective, with Dre reminiscing on history.  One of my top 5 favorites. 5/5
5. All In a Day’s Work (feat. Anderson .Paak & Marsha Ambrosius) – Was unsure of this song at first but it has really grown on me.  If there is a theme to this album – this is it.  Hard work pays off, no bullshit.  I hear this theme throughout the record and find this track to be really inspirational.  I love the bass line, which reminds me of old school Chronic stuff.  Also the effects of the guys digging at the end with the horns, classic production.  Not to mention the high-hat that drops in at the end which keeps speeding up just kills it.  5/5
6. Darkside/Gone (feat. King Mez, Marsha Ambrosius & Kendrick Lamar) – Another one that is a slow burner.  Wasn't sure about this track at first, but ended up loving it.  High hat kicks in from last song, and a nice bass line.  This is the first song that has a beat transition halfway through and I like it – Eazy drop is gold.  When the piano kicks in, again, it creates a nostalgic feel with Dre dropping some insight on his career.  “Don't ever call me fortunate, you don't know what it cost me... “ Kendrick kills it too, and a new bass line.  Busy track but done very well.  5/5
7. Loose Cannons (feat. Xzibit, COLD 187um & Sly Pyper) – Love everything about this track except the murder skit.  That part is skippable and could have been separated as a track or left out.  Has a few beats, and the first one is my favorite.  Bass from first beat reminds me of something from the Chronic.  Also a big bass drop for the subs... this is the shit!  Not crazy about the Cold 187um part but Xzibit kills it – time to get the guillotine out. 4/5
8. Issues (feat. Ice Cube, Anderson .Paak & Dem Jointz) – At first I didn't know what to think of the guitar loop going on.  I got an AC/DC vibe but after a few listens found this to be one of the better tracks.  The drums pound and the sub bangs with this track.  Love the synth and battery acid matchup and Cube comes in angry as usual.  The hook is dope too.  This song reminds me of the scene in Straight Outta Compton when Cube comes in to Priority records and smashes it up with his baseball bat.  Sound effects at the end I'm sure represent Compton well and transition perfectly to the next track.  5/5  
9. Deep Water (feat. Kendrick Lamar, Justus & Anderson .Paak) – A classic song that I can see may be overlooked.  Listened to this song on good headphones, ear buds, studio monitors, home theater, and car speakers, and must say this is the best mixed and most complex song (sonically) on the album.  This song should be a study guide for any engineer or producer out there looking to step their game up.  The effects mixed with lyrics, bass drums, flow, is monstrous.  Don't sleep on this song.  Just as if the song wasn't good enough, there is a horn solo that comes on at the end – classic.  5/5
10. One Shot One Kill (Jon Connor feat. Snoop Dogg & Craig Owens) – My least favorite song on the album, but definitely still listenable.  Solid production and Snoop's flow is great, but not sure if I'm sold on Jon Connor and the aggressive flow on this track.  3/5
11. Just Another Day (The Game feat. Asia Bryant) – Solid boom bap track which sounds quite different from a lot of the songs on this album.  Nowhere near as complex as some of the previous ones – your standard hip hop cut with a catchy chorus.  4/5  
12. For the Love of Money (feat. Jill Scott, Jon Connor & Anderson .Paak) – At first I really disliked this song because of the numerous Bone Thugs covers already out there.  I thought it was lazy and was confused why it was on a Dre album.  After listening some more, I have grown to like it.  The bass line is sick and pounds on the sub, and I like the Anderson .Paak parts.  The guitar at the end caught me off guard (initially) but it fits the part.  3/5
13. Satisfiction (feat. Snoop Dogg, Marsha Ambrosius & King Mez) – An easygoing smooth song with an old school feel.  The chorus reminds me of a 90s R&B song and Dre and Snoop are doing their thang.  A nice bass line of course and just a simple track.  4/5
14. Animals (feat. Anderson .Paak) – A serious and political track, great collabo with Dj Premier and good to hear Premier spitting some lyrics at the end of track.  Simple but effective beat with Dre complimenting Premo.  4/5
15. Medicine Man (feat. Eminem, Candice Pillay & Anderson .Paak) – This one could go either way, and the beat reminded me of something from Relapse.  Eminem ranting VS Eminem spitting.  Took me a few listens but I went with the latter, and found this was one of Eminem's better verses, and I thought the angry tone was fitting, and content perfect for the end of this album.  4/5
16. Talking To My Diary – Pretty much a perfect track, and amazing way to go out.  Loved the anxious strings, bass line, and chorus.  This was definitely worthy of a grand finale and the extra vocals on the chorus just add icing to the cake.  Of course, the horn getting a verse at the very end just killed it, and again, horns are the instrument(s) of choice on this very diverse and complexly produced album.  5/5

Outro
Overall I would say many of the amazing songs makeup for the good songs on a classic album – which is what usually happens for me.  In my books (in rap) I would say I only have a handful that I would give 5/5 too, with this being one of them.  There are no monster club bangers on here but the next level ish is the technicality – the production, mixing, and blending of sounds and songs.  If you play this and truly LISTEN, then compare to other albums, you will see what I mean.  It is not hard for any producer to make a song with 20 layers of sounds/instruments, but it is hard to keep it organized and make one that sounds good - never mind great.  I would expect this album to be nominated for many awards come the season.  
5 / 5  
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 06:35:00 AM by WalterOhDim »

Sccit

« Reply #674 on: September 22, 2015, 01:20:54 PM »
I will put a review up for what it's worth - not saying it's right or wrong.  Would be interesting to hear feedback, I know we all hear things differently:

Intro
I don't think Compton needs much of an introduction, it is one of the most anticipated rap albums of all-time, when considering the momentum Detox had that was shifted over.  Although a fresh idea separate from Detox, Compton is still Dre's 3rd studio album that fans have been waiting for since the days of 2001 – released over 15 years ago.  I always listen from a beat-first perspective, and like Dj Quik says, “See lyrics ain't nothin if the beat ain't crackin...”

1. Intro – An interesting intro that gives you insight into the album.  There is a standard cinematic approach to it with a Walter Cronkite type newscaster which helps create the “ironic” feel. After hearing it once or twice, there is no need to listen again.  Intros can have replay value but this one doesn't.  2/5
2. Talk About It (feat. King Mez & Justus) – After the first few listens I didn't like song.  But after that the hook really grew on me and I understood the reason it was first.  An inspirational and epic song that sets the tone of the album with big drums.  4/5
3. Genocide (feat. Kendrick Lamar, Marsha Ambrosius & Candice Pillay) – The beat is a burner with a slow bass drop opposing keys and a metallic sounding drum bopping in the backdrop.  Lots going on in this track and Marsha reminds me of a 90s Lady of Rage on this cut. 5/5
4. It’s All On Me (feat. Justus & BJ the Chicago Kid) – An easy favorite and was the song I had on repeat at the beginning.  This has a very nostalgic feel to it and the beat is simple but effective, with Dre reminiscing on history.  One of my top 5 favorites. 5/5
5. All In a Day’s Work (feat. Anderson .Paak & Marsha Ambrosius) – Was unsure of this song at first but it has really grown on me.  If there is a theme to this album – this is it.  Hard work pays off, no bullshit.  I hear this theme throughout the record and find this track to be really inspirational.  I love the bass line, which reminds me of old school Chronic stuff.  Also the effects of the guys digging at the end with the horns, classic production.  Not to mention the high-hat that drops in at the end which keeps speeding up just kills it.  5/5
6. Darkside/Gone (feat. King Mez, Marsha Ambrosius & Kendrick Lamar) – Another one that is a slow burner.  Wasn't sure about this track at first, but ended up loving it.  High hat kicks in from last song, and a nice bass line.  This is the first song that has a beat transition halfway through and I like it – Eazy drop is gold.  When the piano kicks in, again, it creates a nostalgic feel with Dre dropping some insight on his career.  “Don't ever call me fortunate, you don't know what it cost me... “ Kendrick kills it too, and a new bass line.  Busy track but done very well.  5/5
7. Loose Cannons (feat. Xzibit, COLD 187um & Sly Pyper) – Love everything about this track except the murder skit.  That part is skippable and could have been separated as a track or left out.  Has a few beats, and the first one is my favorite.  Bass from first beat reminds me of something from the Chronic.  Also a big bass drop for the subs... this is the shit!  Not crazy about the Cold 187um part but Xzibit kills it – time to get the guillotine out. 4/5
8. Issues (feat. Ice Cube, Anderson .Paak & Dem Jointz) – At first I didn't know what to think of the guitar loop going on.  I got an AC/DC vibe but after a few listens found this to be one of the better tracks.  The drums pound and the sub bangs with this track.  Love the synth and battery acid matchup and Cube comes in angry as usual.  The hook is dope too.  This song reminds me of the scene in Straight Outta Compton when Cube comes in to Priority records and smashes it up with his baseball bat.  Sound effects at the end I'm sure represent Compton well and transition perfectly to the next track.  5/5   
9. Deep Water (feat. Kendrick Lamar, Justus & Anderson .Paak) – A classic song that I can see may be overlooked.  Listened to this song on good headphones, ear buds, studio monitors, home theater, and car speakers, and must say this is the best mixed and most complex song (sonically) on the album.  This song should be a study guide for any engineer or producer out there looking to step their game up.  The effects mixed with lyrics, bass drums, flow, is monstrous.  Don't sleep on this song.  Just as if the song wasn't good enough, there is a horn solo that comes on at the end – classic.  5/5
10. One Shot One Kill (Jon Connor feat. Snoop Dogg & Craig Owens) – My least favorite song on the album, but definitely still listenable.  Solid production and Snoop's flow is great, but not sure if I'm sold on Jon Connor and the aggressive flow on this track.  3/5
11. Just Another Day (The Game feat. Asia Bryant) – Solid boom bap track which sounds quite different from a lot of the songs on this album.  Nowhere near as complex as some of the previous ones – your standard hip hop cut with a catchy chorus.  4/5 
12. For the Love of Money (feat. Jill Scott, Jon Connor & Anderson .Paak) – At first I really disliked this song because of the numerous Bone Thugs covers already out there.  I thought it was lazy and was confused why it was on a Dre album.  After listening some more, I have grown to like it.  The bass line is sick and pounds on the sub, and I like the Anderson .Paak parts.  The guitar at the end caught me off guard (initially) but it fits the part.  3/5
13. Satisfiction (feat. Snoop Dogg, Marsha Ambrosius & King Mez) – An easygoing smooth song with an old school feel.  The chorus reminds me of a 90s R&B song and Dre and Snoop are doing their thang.  A nice bass line of course and just a simple track.  4/5
14. Animals (feat. Anderson .Paak) – A serious and political track, great collabo with Dj Premier and good to hear Premier spitting some lyrics at the end of track.  Simple but effective beat with Dre complimenting Premo.  4/5
15. Medicine Man (feat. Eminem, Candice Pillay & Anderson .Paak) – This one could go either way, and the beat reminded me of something from Relapse.  Eminem ranting VS Eminem spitting.  Took me a few listens but I went with the latter, and found this was one of Eminem's better verses, and I thought the angry tone was fitting, and content perfect for the end of this album.  4/5
16. Talking To My Diary – Pretty much a perfect track, and amazing way to go out.  Loved the anxious strings, bass line, and chorus.  This was definitely worth of a grand finale and the extra vocals on the chorus just add icing to the cake.  Of course, the horn getting a verse at the very end just killed it, and again, the horn is instrument of choice on this very diverse and complexly produced album.

Outro
Overall I would say many of the amazing songs makeup for the good songs on a classic album – which is what usually happens for me.  In my books (in rap) I would say I only have a handful that I would give 5/5 too, with this being one of them.  There are no monster club bangers on here but the next level ish is the technicality – the production, mixing, and blending of sounds and songs.  If you play this and truly LISTEN, then compare to other albums, you will see what I mean.  It is not hard for any producer to make a song with 20 layers of sounds/instruments, but it is hard to make one that sounds good - never mind great.  I would expect this album to be nominated for many awards come the season. 
5 / 5 

That's a good review, pretty close to how I have it rated.. I'd have animals+for the love of money higher and issues lower, but on point for the most part.