Author Topic: What's up with the pointless intro at the beginning of Xzibit's first album??  (Read 541 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
A totally pointless track one followed by a bomb track 2... anyone else ever wonder why they would just do a blatant filler on the opening track of an otherwise near-classic album?
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

• Muthafuckin' Don!
I guess if it was for hypnotic effect, then okay

soopa-man

I always hated the intro it was like ehhh it was cool on first listen but it doesn't really grab you i guess it's for a hype effect to the anticipation he had at the moment for the album.
I really was fucking hyped for the album it took damn near a year for it to come out when it was announced.  At the time I thought it wasn't what I wanted from an X/Dre album.  To me that album sounds more inspired by Snoop than any thing. The producers features we're all DPG affiliated. I think ThA Liks and Eminem were the only people that really seperated that album from a DPG album.
X and Dre to me didn't work together enough for the album and the mixing on it was way better on 2001 and Last Meal.  It through me off but damn the album bangs from front to back!  It's a great time piece of the West at its finest.

I just expected X more solo ripping dope Dre beats and showing what Westcoast Mcs were made of... And some sort of concept to it with Dre behind it...

TidyKris

I dont see whats wrong with it really...yeah there are no vocals but its a nice little beat.

Its like on some Wu-Tang albums...they would have some little snippets of dope beats inbetween songs. "The W" album springs to mind 

Sccit

i thought it was dope...like you said, hypnosis before the fact.

what trips me out about it is that they called it an interlude, which is usually reserved for the middle of an album.

terence chill

I always hated the intro it was like ehhh it was cool on first listen but it doesn't really grab you i guess it's for a hype effect to the anticipation he had at the moment for the album.
I really was fucking hyped for the album it took damn near a year for it to come out when it was announced.  At the time I thought it wasn't what I wanted from an X/Dre album.  To me that album sounds more inspired by Snoop than any thing. The producers features we're all DPG affiliated. I think ThA Liks and Eminem were the only people that really seperated that album from a DPG album.
X and Dre to me didn't work together enough for the album and the mixing on it was way better on 2001 and Last Meal.  It through me off but damn the album bangs from front to back!  It's a great time piece of the West at its finest.

I just expected X more solo ripping dope Dre beats and showing what Westcoast Mcs were made of... And some sort of concept to it with Dre behind it...

???????????????but thats not x's first album!dont get the point, we are talking about At The Speed Of Life!and at thid time x has nothing to do with dre!

Sccit

Wrong album

• Muthafuckin' Don!

That does remind me though... If I was going to mention bad intros by Xzibit, Restless should've came to mind before everything else.  Now that's a classic album with a horrible intro—that was too obviously conceived to conjure up some sort of mainstream acceptance.  Like a listener is supposed to go.... "gee... I guess Xzibit isn't that threatening as an angry black man, listen to all the white people that are down with his album, gee, maybe I should be a fan too and jump on the bandwagon"

mrfranklin

I have no clue this should not be on the album

BIGWORM

I like that intro. Producers do that to set the mood of the album. Cleanse your ear pallet to set up the next track. DJ Muggs was known for this on the first four or five albums throwing interludes at the end of tracks or in between tracks to set up the next track...

They also did this to even out the audio so both sides of the cassette had the same amount of audio with out having spaces at the end of a side.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 08:58:04 PM by BIGWORM »

• Muthafuckin' Don!
I like that intro. Producers do that to set the mood of the album. Cleanse your ear pallet to set up the next track. DJ Muggs was know for this on the first four or five albums throwing interludes at the end of tracks or in between tracks to set up the next track...

They also did this to even out the audio so both sides of the cassette had the same amount of audio with out having spacec at the end of a side.

damn that's a good point with cassette tapes and evening out the audio, and setting the mood.... I'm with that.  Fair enough.   The album seemed short by a few tracks so at first I was kind of taking it like it was just some filler for the tracklist to make it more marketable

Sccit

That intro is memorable and sets the tone for the album